Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ticket for this issue already exists. Use the search function to find it.

easier said than done

- could the "rejected" ticket email not give the ticket number of the valid, open ticket rather than saying search for it,

in my case bug database search on pDF gives 1100+ hits, search on ligatures gives 145 hits. ( and anyway I'm not convinced it was a ligature issue! )

15 mins painful scrolling & reading finds only other rejected tickets reporting similar bugs.

All I want to know is what ticket will show progress on fixing it ???

"resolution: => duplicate

Comment:

A ticket for this issue already exists. Use the search function to find it."

to generate that emssage requires knowledge of the original issue which is being duplicated, so why not include a link to it, please
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
So you're asking me to spend the time doing the search to find the duplicate for you?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
easier said than done
It means Kovid is aware of the issue/request and has dealt with it by doing whatever needed to be done. Often it just means he's put it on his todo list. He won't have the ticket number readily available and you can't expect him to search and find it for you. Whatever your issue is, it hasn't been solved, and it may not be solved, and if it is to be solved at some future time, there's no ETA for the solution. If you really want more help, come here and ask. The ticket system is for Kovid to learn of issues/bugs, and whatever your issue/bug is - he knows about it. If you need help, the forum is the place, not the ticket system.

Edit:Oops - late as usual - I see Kovid has responded.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
So you're asking me to spend the time doing the search to find the duplicate for you?
no I'm asking specifially

1. how you know it's a duplicate ( e.g. from memory or via a database search)

maybe if I knew how did the latter, I could do the same thing, and I'm suggesting that if you use an automated method, could that automated method generate a link within the email form response.

generally, I am commenting that is very difficult to find stuff in the bugs database, without knowing ticket numbers.

starson - all help gratefully received - please see my thread on double L and also a related post I tagged onto an older thread.

I am pretty sure
1. it's not a ligature issue ( because of a) googling, b) Kovi'd statement that those were fixed last year c) other evidence in threads
2. othere have the same bug ( because I see other "duplicate" rejected tickets in bug database that read just like my issue) - but I cannot find the original bug report that they are duplicates of !

in parallel to posting, I have pretty much regexed all the L+space instances out of the doument in sigil, but it's taken ages, and lots of special case, , so I'm hoping to understand the root cause if case I ever have another pdf with similar issues. I've not seen it in any other pdfs to date taough.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-24-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
no I'm asking specifially

I suspect it is from memory as the same issues come up at regular intervals - and thus the difficulty in providing a reference.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he does it from memory.
Quote:
generally, I am commenting that is very difficult to find stuff in the bugs database, without knowing ticket numbers.
The search works fine, but it's not really designed for giving you any help. You ask for help here.

Quote:
starson - all help gratefully received - please see my thread on double L and also a related post I tagged onto an older thread.
I've posted help in two double-l threads today.

Quote:
I am pretty sure
1. it's not a ligature issue ( because of a) googling, b) Kovi'd statement that those were fixed last year c) other evidence in threads
Those won't really tell you if that's the problem. Googling tells you nothing about your specific problem. The fix fixed only some, not all, and other threads are not really determinative. You'll need to look at your file, but it's possible there is no true fix for your issue.

Quote:
2. othere have the same bug ( because I see other "duplicate" rejected tickets in bug database that read just like my issue) - but I cannot find the original bug report that they are duplicates of !
Yes, some are old and were fixed, some can't be fixed until the new PDF engine is finished.

Quote:
in parallel to posting, I have pretty much regexed all the L+space instances out of the doument in sigil, but it's taken ages, and lots of special case, , so I'm hoping to understand the root cause if case I ever have another pdf with similar issues. I've not seen it in any other pdfs to date taough.
Try selecting the text in the PDF and pasting it into an ascii text editor (notepad) so you can view it - see if it pastes in correctly.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post

Try selecting the text in the PDF and pasting it into an ascii text editor (notepad) so you can view it - see if it pastes in correctly.
there is a workable DIY workaround in that suggestion.

I can open in adobe, select all, copy to clip board, open word , paste.

That grabs the entire book text with no double L issue. It loses pictures but that's the only weakness.

i would now proceed with save as filtered html, add to calibre run thru heuristcs & convert to epub....

would have saved many hours of repair. I may just continue thru the whole process & see how it works out...

update- as a 2nd workaround, I Dl'd mobi packet creator - that converted the pdf with no LL issues also.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-25-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
there is a workable DIY workaround in that suggestion.
Just for my own edification - Can you copy/paste a single double ll word correctly? I'm just verifying that you are actually highlighting and copying, rather than exporting as text.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Just for my own edification - Can you copy/paste a single double ll word correctly? I'm just verifying that you are actually highlighting and copying, rather than exporting as text.
yep - I can copy paste any number of words from adobe reader to here, or to notepad. pretty sure I demoed that yesterday. here's a repeat performance:

Ellen

I can also convert the entire book - all ll words - Ok with mobicreateor & with pdftoepub, and by the adobe select call paste to MS word route.

the ONLY program with a double l hangup seems to be calibre , I can live with that but I wish someone would answer to why only this book is eaffected, not my pther pdf to epub conversions.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-25-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I wish someone would answer to why only this book is eaffected, not my pther pdf to epub conversions.
Take a look at the font used. Read here:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=charissilfont
Particularly this:

Quote:
Charis SIL is a TrueType font with “smart font” capabilities added using the Graphite, OpenType®, and AAT font technologies. This means that complex typographic issues such as the placement of diacritics or the formation of ligatures are handled by the font, provided you are running an application that provides an adequate level of support for one of these smart font technologies. With the old font (and its derivatives), diacritic placement was handled using non-standard character encodings that incorporated multiple versions of a diacritic as distinctly-encoded characters.
I've seen books created with that font cause the problem you describe. It doesn't seem to appear just because that font was used, but only when that font was used with certain packages for the original creation.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Take a look at the font used. Read here:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=charissilfont
Particularly this:

I've seen books created with that font cause the problem you describe. It doesn't seem to appear just because that font was used, but only when that font was used with certain packages for the original creation.
it could well be that font - looks very similar to the sample download from your link.

i do not know how the source pdf was created but I think we have prodded the corpse enough now to conclude the post-mortem.

My thanks to all who participated.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
I had that problem with the font in Calibre doing custom series like columns. It tooks many rounds with chaley to figure out I had typed a double L and we couldn't see it.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote