Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
Swedish publishers ditch DRM

The Swedish newspaper Göteborgs-Posten reports that Swedish publishers are close to a deal to sell e-books DRM-free:

http://blogg.gp.se/teknik/

The main message is: "... Now they [the publishers] are close to the goal to replace copy protection by watermarks. ... Bonniers, Piratförlaget, Natur och Kultur, and others have agreed now."

That means that a majority new Swedish books will come out DRM-free in the near future.
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great news for us swedes

And to everyone else I just want to add that these are among the largest publishers in sweden, not just some indie publisher or something.
(and Piratförlaget which translate to Piratepublisher has nothing to do with the Pirateparty or Piratebay or any other illigal filesharing
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would be more accurate to say that they are switching to a "social DRM" mechanism, rather than that they are "dropping" DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
True, about "social DRM". But at least by dropping encrypting DRM will allow us users to buy a book anywhere and read on any device. Any fileformat problems will be easy to solve.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It would be more accurate to say that they are switching to a "social DRM" mechanism, rather than that they are "dropping" DRM.
It's not DRM. DRM is pretty specific. It's a form of copy protection.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
moonlit
moonlit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is also the case here in Norway, by the way. No copy protection, only watermarking.

There is only a very small amount of Norwegian books for sale right now, but there is a new portal (Bokbasen) opening in late March that will act as a distributor, which will accelerate things.

Watermarking is a perfect compromise between user friendliness and DRM, if you ask me.
moonlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is excellent news. hopefully more countries will follow the example of our northern neighbors.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would be okay with watermarking as a form of copy protection, as long as it did not affect converting the book and using it on any device I wanted. If that is truly what you guys have, that's great and I hope publishers here in North America do it too!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Can someone help me understand what "watermarking" is exactly in this context? Is it simply embedding a code linked to a buyer's identity within the file itself (ala exif data in image files?)...
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Can someone help me understand what "watermarking" is exactly in this context? Is it simply embedding a code linked to a buyer's identity within the file itself (ala exif data in image files?)...
I bought a book (from a Swedish store) for my wife the other day and the watermark shows up between each chapter of the book. It has the order number and date and then states that all copying - unless for personal use - and unauthorized distribution is prohibited.

I was very pleased I could simply dump the book into Calibre, convert it to mobi and load it onto my better half's Kindle. Less hassle than having to deDRM it, certainly. The book I purchased was ePUB but it seems a significant portion of old books is currently in watermarked PDF.

I'd still prefer a clean file without a watermark but must say it's at least a step in the right direction.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
I bought a book (from a Swedish store) for my wife the other day and the watermark shows up between each chapter of the book. It has the order number and date and then states that all copying - unless for personal use - and unauthorized distribution is prohibited.
I also bought an watermarked epub the other day. Apart from the visible marking you saw, a quick peek inside also revealed a download id in the html headers. Possibly there are also other more or less visible markings.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote