Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Running Opera Mobile on Kobo (Glo/Touch)

Hello,

I dont know if it is possible or if it is madness but I've tried adding Opera Mobile (the ARM version released for Meego) to the Kobo Glo (firmware 2.3.1) but it fails.

Actually I've uncompressed the above Opera archive in the Kobo root using ftp and telnet so that Opera binary is in /usr/bin/, opera lib in /usr/lib etc.
I have also created soft links to the required Qt libraries :
Code:
/usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4 -> /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/lib/libQtCore.so.4
/usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4 -> /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/lib/libQtDBus.so.4
/usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 -> /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/lib/libQtGui.so.4
/usr/lib/libQtXml.so.4 -> /usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/lib/libQtXml.so.4
And now I've got the following error message:
Code:
[root@(none) lib]# /usr/bin/operamobile 
EINK: driver not found
Aborted
So I wonder what is that missing EINK driver (I guess it has something to do with the screen) and where to find it and how to have Opera use it (I also guess such a driver exists somewhere in the Kobo).
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Since opera isn't really telling us much about what's going wrong, it might help to use strace to see which files it's looking for. I've attached a strace binary that works on the Kobo. It can be run like this:
Code:
./strace /usr/bin/operamobile
It should output a bunch of info on which files opera is trying to open. If you post that output, maybe I or someone else can point you in the right direction.
Attached Files
File Type: zip strace.zip (86.3 KB, 713 views)
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Loceka

Thanks a lot.

I've run it through strace and there is the trace (I put it on a separate file cause it's big).

But I see no mention of "EINK" in it though.
Attached Files
File Type: txt opera_strace.txt (171.9 KB, 486 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Loceka

If I read the log well, it seems it can't handle the QtGui event _ZN12QApplication14x11EventFilterEP7_XEvent.

Here is a lighter version of the trace where I removed the lines where it looked for a file in a bad directory (iff it actually finds the file later).
Attached Files
File Type: txt opera_strace_light.txt (160.8 KB, 425 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
koenieee
Enthusiast
koenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litter

You need to run it like this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201584
and specifiy the LD_Library_Path (see shell script in the above link)
Also you need to add the Eink drivers from that thread
koenieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Loceka

I've tried with the above drivers and also with the "KoboLauncher" I've found in that post and now I have different error logs (yes it keeps failing, which is not a surprise).
The script I run is :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/plugins/qt_drivers
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.8.0-arm/lib
export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KindleTS
export QWS_DISPLAY=Transformed:kindlefb:Rot90

/mnt/onboard/strace /usr/bin/operamobile
I have tried with nickel started and it fails with:
Code:
semop(32769, 0xffffffff, 2127714872)    = 0
writev(2, [{"/usr/bin/operamobile", 20}, {": ", 2}, {"symbol lookup error", 19}, {": ", 2}, {"/usr/bin/operamobile", 20}, {": ", 2}, {"undefined symbol: _ZN12QApplicat"..., 61}, {"", 0}, {"", 0}, {"\n", 1}], 10/usr/bin/operamobile: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/operamobile: undefined symbol: _ZN12QApplication14x11EventFilterEP7_XEvent
) = 127
exit_group(127)                         = ?
with nickel killed, it fails with:
Code:
write(2, "Did not receive a connection eve"..., 55Did not receive a connection event from the qws server
) = 55
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(955, 955, SIGABRT)               = 0
--- SIGABRT (Aborted) @ 0 (0) ---
rt_sigaction(SIGABRT, {SIG_DFL, [ABRT], SA_RESTART|0x4000000}, {0x2b9b1044, [ABRT], SA_RESTART|0x4000000}, 8) = 0
semctl(32768, 0, IPC_64|IPC_RMID, 0)    = 0
tgkill(955, 955, SIGABRT)               = 0
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [ILL BUS FPE USR1 SEGV USR2 TERM STOP TSTP])
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted
And from the KoboLauncher, the Qt version seems to mismatch (I haven't yet tried to fix it):
Code:
write(2, "Cannot mix incompatible Qt libra"..., 89Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40800) with this library (version 0x40804)
) = 89
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
tgkill(936, 936, SIGABRT)               = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGABRT, {SIG_DFL, [ABRT], SA_RESTART|0x4000000}, {0x2b9926d4, [ABRT], SA_RESTART|0x4000000}, 8) = 0
semctl(950278, 0, IPC_64|IPC_RMID, 0)   = 0
tgkill(936, 936, SIGABRT)               = 0
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [QUIT])
+++ killed by SIGABRT +++
Aborted
Attached Files
File Type: txt opera_with_nickel.txt (234.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: txt opera_without_nickel.txt (93.1 KB, 448 views)
File Type: txt opera_from_kobolauncher.txt (44.5 KB, 554 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
koenieee
Enthusiast

You need to run operamobile with -qws argument.
Ofcourse kill nickel first

Last edited by koenieee; 01-27-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Loceka

It goes farther with the "-qws" switch but it still displays the _ZN12QApplication14x11EventFilterEP7_XEvent error:

Code:
ScreenPlugin::ScreenPlugin()
ScreenPlugin::create()
KindleTS::KindleTS
KindleTS(kindlets, )
Warning: Cannot connect to the D-Bus session bus.

OPERA_DIR not set, assuming "/usr/share/operamobile"
/usr/bin/operamobile: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/operamobile: undefined symbol: _ZN12QApplication14x11EventFilterEP7_XEvent
Attached Files
File Type: txt opera_strace.txt (116.7 KB, 472 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I attempted to get opera to run myself. If you run the following commands before starting opera it gets rid of the D-Bus warning:
Code:
eval $(dbus-launch --sh-syntax)
export BUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
Opera still doesn't run, though, and it then warns about "not sure how to check hw keyboard status" alongside the usual "undefined symbol" error.

Last edited by KevinShort; 01-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
"It goes farther with the "-qws" switch but it still displays the _ZN12QApplication14x11EventFilterEP7_XEvent error:"

It seems that you need X-server and Qt with X11 support.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
koenieee
Enthusiast

I think you need to find an alternative of Opera. And it need to be opensource, so we can compile it ourselfs. In QT ofcourse
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Loceka

Well I've tried installing an X Server (and it was actually painful) but that didn't help.
Maybe the installed Qt version does not have X11 support but I have no clue how to check that.

About giving up opera and trying an other and open source browser, why not.
I tried Opera because it is known to be lightweight and it actually had ARM versions (and I also like it on desktop PC).

But if Chromium or Firefox Mobile are easier to get running on Kobo, I'm ready to give them a try.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post
Well I've tried installing an X Server (and it was actually painful) but that didn't help.
Maybe the installed Qt version does not have X11 support but I have no clue how to check that.

About giving up opera and trying an other and open source browser, why not.
I tried Opera because it is known to be lightweight and it actually had ARM versions (and I also like it on desktop PC).

But if Chromium or Firefox Mobile are easier to get running on Kobo, I'm ready to give them a try.
Look for debian chroot topic on this forum. You can install Qt 4.6.2 for x11 and opera in debian chroot environment.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote