Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
HP Touchpad

I have a large Calibre library of epub books (non DRM). I have a friend bringing their HP Touchpad to my house tomorrow and I want to be able to download some of my books for him to read. I searched this forum and I saw that Calibre now supports downloading to the Kindle reader. There were comments about possible support for other formats? Did that happen? I checked the Calibre manual and couldn't find anything.

Is there a suggestion about the best way for me to load epubs onto the HP Touchpad from Calibre?

Thanks...........Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have only used kindle reader on the touchpad athough I installed a couple of others. The kindle app works pretty good and calibre was pretty easy to use (requires another app kindle import) It is a two step process but easy enough.

Other formats depend on the software apps your friend is using and his level of knowledge of how the software works.

Best go with the kindle app in my opinion as many other apps are not as nice and you could spend days figuring out which is best.

I had the kindle app up and working an hour after I onboxed and charged my touchpad and I played with the web browser first.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
The problem is that all my books are in epub format and I didn't really want to have to convert them to mobi or whatever the Kindle app wants. I would have thought that there would be a standard epub reader on the HP Touchpad and that Calibre might download epub books to it. Since I am doing someone a favor I don't want to spend too much time on this but I am interested in what the best approach for me to download my epub books onto his HP Touchpad is.
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
The problem is that all my books are in epub format and I didn't really want to have to convert them to mobi or whatever the Kindle app wants. I would have thought that there would be a standard epub reader on the HP Touchpad and that Calibre might download epub books to it. Since I am doing someone a favor I don't want to spend too much time on this but I am interested in what the best approach for me to download my epub books onto his HP Touchpad is.

Ahh I just assumed you wanted to give him a few books to show him how it was done so he could go about acquiring his own.

If this is the case it takes less than a minute to convert a book from epub to mobi usually 2-3 books a minute. Takes longer in most cases to download from the content server. If you want to 'give' him 100 books might take 20-30 minutes to convert and another minute to delete the mobi copies on your computer. for 10 books, 2-3minutes which is pretty negligible. (Of course those are your 2-3 minutes and you may be short on time)

If you can evaluate, install and use another app that uses epub in less than an hour, by all means go for it. Just not that easy or worth the effort in my opinion at this juncture.

Make him buy his own books if he wants to read them or get them from the library (and yes it can be done on the touchpad.) Better solution all round.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote