Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
Library Ebooks and a question about format

I just got a Sony 505 about two weeks ago and I'm loving it.
I'm also lucky enough to live in an area that offers an ebook library, so I can
get ebooks for free. One thing that I noticed when searching the library for books is that many of them are only offered in audio wma format.

For example; John Grisham - 17 audio books wma, 0 other format
Sandra Brown - 15 audio books wma, 1 pdf book
Greg Iles - 12 audio books wma, 0 other format

I sent them an email asking why, hopefully they will respond.

Anyone have any idea why they wouldn't offer more formats?

Also, I noticed that fictionwise offers most books that are not in the format for the Sony reader. I researched using this site and read about converting mobi books using calibre, but not sure I really understand the process. Sounds like you have to first strip the DRM and then convert. So I may just stick to buying the books directly from Sony. Any advice about converting?
How hard is it?
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegirl View Post
get ebooks for free. One thing that I noticed when searching the library for books is that many of them are only offered in audio wma format.

Anyone have any idea why they wouldn't offer more formats?

Also, I noticed that fictionwise offers most books that are not in the format for the Sony reader. I researched using this site and read about converting mobi books using calibre, but not sure I really understand the process. Sounds like you have to first strip the DRM and then convert. So I may just stick to buying the books directly from Sony. Any advice about converting?
How hard is it?
The reason for WMA is that it supports time limited DRM. That is why you don't see other audio formats. As to why you don't see eBooks in PDF I do not know. PDF works ok on your device.

there are some sources of LRF files other than Sony. I think even fictionwise has some. But no DRM ebooks are available in LRX except from Sony.

Dale

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The reason for WMA is that it supports time limited DRM. That is why you don't see other audio formats. As to why you don't see eBooks in PDF I do not know. PDF works ok on your device.
Exactly... and this is the reason I got my wife a Toshiba Gigabeat instead of an iPod. It turned out to be a mistake... the gigabeat just dies in a few days even if not used even after going to the repair depot twice. The iPod being an Apple device doesn't support the Microsoft WMA format.

So, now she just gets CD's at the library and rips them to MP3 to listen to on my daughters iPod.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegirl View Post

My local library used to be the same. I would download and listen to the audiobooks on my MP3 but I also had to download the "Overdrive Media Player" to get access to WMA DRM content.

Recently though, there has been an explosion of releases of eBooks at my local library. They only have a limited number of each title for each format (although there seems to be a limitless supply of audio only). They are mostly in PDF format and use Adobe Digital Editions for DRM control. They allow me 21 days to read a book before it gets locked or I can return it back to the library early directly from ADE.

See if there is a way that your local library software can filter out what kind of format you are looking for. Mine is able to separate audio books from ebooks.

Hope that's of help.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 12-03-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
The Cleveland library has started a small (500 books) experiment with books in an mp3 non-DRM format that can be transferred to an iPod. I think the .wma selection is about 5x the mp3 selection, and many of the mp3 seem to be classics or much older works (Agatha Christie & Rex Stout for example) with only a smattering of more modern works.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I thought I read that one of the authors (Grisham) doesn't allow his books in eReader format.

If the library uses overdrive servers, you can restrict your search to a specific format using the Advanced Search option.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
My local library uses ePub and Adobe Editions for everything.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I thought I read that one of the authors (Grisham) doesn't allow his books in eReader format.
As far as I'm aware, no library uses eReader format because that format doesn't support time-limited DRM, which libraries (obviously) require. Libraries all use either PDF or MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Ok... I have to ask about this because in the context it is not clear.

You you literally mean the "eReader" format from eReader.com or did you mean it in a generic eBook way? For example, JK Rawling doesn't want her books to be released as "ebooks"... she feels they will be pirated... well guess what... they are ANYWAY.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
eNYPL has about 11500+ pdf titles and 4750+ prc titles currently, plus tons of audio books and indeed Grisham has only audio available.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
gamegirl
Enthusiast
gamegirl doesn't littergamegirl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Palm Lifedrive
The library emailed a reply to my question of why so many books were only offered in audio and not pdf. They said it was not up to them and told me to contact overdrive.
So I wrote to overdrive and am waiting to hear back, so far nothing. Sounds kind of odd to me, since overdrive is also used by the New York library. So why would they choose more pdf books for them and less for Fairfax county Virginia. I can't believe the county has no say in the matter.

I didn't realize that the author could be the reason, that's good to know and how nice that New York will allow people from out of state to join. Thanks for the great info.
gamegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Do check out the wiki for a list of ebook lending libraries. They don't need to be in your locality:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... I have to ask about this because in the context it is not clear.

You you literally mean the "eReader" format from eReader.com or did you mean it in a generic eBook way? For example, JK Rawling doesn't want her books to be released as "ebooks"... she feels they will be pirated... well guess what... they are ANYWAY.

BOb
I meant in a generic way...guess I should have said doesn't allow his books in an eReader format (and thus why you won't find Grisham ebooks in a public library).

Last edited by Boston; 12-04-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
May I suggest the phrasing "in any eBook format" for future use? "eReader" is the name of a particular format, so it can be confusing...

Pedantically yours,

Xenophon

Last edited by Xenophon; 12-05-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: pedantism
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote