Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin Book Club

This is an informal book club organized to read/listen to the wonderful Aubrey/Maturin books, a series of naval adventures set during the Napoleonic War, written by Patrick O'Brian. We'll start with Master & Commander, and follow on with the next in the series every other month.

Currently reading and discussing: Master and Commander.

There are no membership requirements, and MobileRead members can participate on any book they wish, or if circumstance require, skip a discussion and come back later to join in. You can even skip reading a book entirely, if you think you can do that.

So, what are the Aubrey/Maturin books, and why should you want to read them?
Spoiler:
Quote:
The Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin novels are set at the time of the Napoleonic Wars between England and France (with, of course, other participants.) The time of the great English square-rigged sailing ships and the very height of the Royal Navy. But they are FAR more than just naval books! Jack Aubrey is not only a great instinctive sailor, but also an accomplished mathematician in his own right, and Stephen Maturin, his surgeon and friend, is a great naturalist and scientist (as well as a very successful spy for the English and yet an Irish partisan.) Also, both are accomplished amateur musicians.

The books are well written, the characters well developed, and while the focus is around the naval events in most cases, it's the whole fabric of the rest of the books that makes them so successful and interesting. I've read and enjoyed C.S. Forester's Hornblower books, and most of Alexander Kent's Bolitho series, and both are good. But O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is really at a different level, IMHO. We not only get a look at the history and geography of the era, but also the natural science and political landscape of not just England and Europe, but Australia and the Far East. There is even a fascinating look at the causes and consequences of the draining of the fens in rural England.

We have available two superb narrated audio versions, one by Simon Vance (issybird's favourite) and one by Patrick Tull (my favourite.) There are ebook versions of all the books as well, and both audio (the Simon Vance version) and ebook versions are available on Overdrive, so your library might well have them.

As a final bit of convincing, my DW who doesn't read this sort of thing as she would say it, was convinced to try them and was instantly hooked. We read them together as fast as Patrick O'Brian could write them. Both as DT books and as audio books, the old Books on Tape versions by Patrick Tull.

The following post will link to various resources, both where to find the ebooks/audiobooks and online resources that should help with understanding the historical background, should you desire to go more deeply. But fear not, the books are tremendous fun in themselves!

Last edited by CRussel; 07-11-2016 at 07:41 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following is a list of venues for purchasing the ebooks and audiobooks and internet resources about the books themselves or their historical or geographical context. We'd love to add additional sources; just post them to this thread and they'll be added to this post.

eBooks and Audiobooks:

Amazon US
Amazon CA
Amazon UK
Audible (Patrick Tull narration)
Audible UK (Ric Jerrom narration)
Kobo US (couponable!)
Kobo UK
Kobo CA
OverDrive eBook and audio (Simon Vance narration)

Resources:

Musical Evenings with the Captain: Music from the Aubrey-Maturin Novels

Musical Evenings in the Captain's Cabin

The Patrick O'Brian Mapping Project: The Voyages of Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin

A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian

Reviews:
Jo Walton's re-read !! SPOILERS !! Avoid until AFTER you've read the novel

Last edited by CRussel; 07-11-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added more music
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks, Charlie!

I'd love to see a show of hands, if people are interested. And if this feels a little rushed, as in you can't get your ducks in a row to get started in time, we can push things back. Nothing is set in stone; the point is to have fun with these wonderful books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Absolutely agree, issybird. My post is meant as a starting point, not definitive.

Also, for those from the UK who might want to join us and like audio books, you might want to consider your alternative locations. To each their own preference, of course, but I wasn't that enamored with the Ric Jeromm sample I listened to. It's really too bad that the Simon Vance version is only available via Overdrive right now - they're really quite good. Of course, having started with the Patrick Tull narrations many years ago, they're still my favourite.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'd be willing to give it a try, depending on whether I can get into them. Based on the covers, I never had any interest, but CRussel's description has intrigued me.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I would add, FizzyWater, that this is a series that grows and matures, bringing new elements and depth with each volume. I was hooked with M&C, but looking back on the series now, it's far from my favourite.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I would add, FizzyWater, that this is a series that grows and matures, bringing new elements and depth with each volume. I was hooked with M&C, but looking back on the series now, it's far from my favourite.
FizzyWater, I'm not sure what I said where, so I'll repeat that I never thought these were my kind of books until a friend forced me to promise to try them; another MRer has a similar testimonial. Hooked from the start.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I'm in for the first book at least. Just started it, found an audiobook copy at Overdrive read by Francis Chichester.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I didn't care much for the first one when I read it last year but I will certainly keep track and may try the second book as we get closer to October. I want to like them since I have heard so many good things here.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I tried the sample, and just bought the first book (ebook form). Whether it holds me enough to finish it, we shall see.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, Charlie!

I'd love to see a show of hands, if people are interested. And if this feels a little rushed, as in you can't get your ducks in a row to get started in time, we can push things back. Nothing is set in stone; the point is to have fun with these wonderful books.
I've read the first two books. I liked Master and Commander, but didn't care as much for Post Captain. I've been told that the series begins to hit its stride in the third book so I'm looking forward to that.

Also I recommend listening to these "Music from the Aubrey-Maturin Novels" CDs while reading.

Musical Evenings With the Captain 2

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Eveni.../dp/B00000083U
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
I'm in for the first book at least. Just started it, found an audiobook copy at Overdrive read by Francis Chichester.
Hmmm. Not one I know. By all means, let us know what you think of the narration as well as the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I didn't care much for the first one when I read it last year but I will certainly keep track and may try the second book as we get closer to October. I want to like them since I have heard so many good things here.
Well please do join us for the discussion around the first one too, if you can remember any of what you didn't like. Also, I recommend switching formats if you are able. If you read it, try an audio version. If you listened, try reading. Sometimes the change helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I tried the sample, and just bought the first book (ebook form). Whether it holds me enough to finish it, we shall see.
I hope it does. And regardless, please join us for the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I've read the first two books. I liked Master and Commander, but didn't care as much for Post Captain. I've been told that the series begins to hit its stride in the third book so I'm looking forward to that.

Also I recommend listening to these "Music from the Aubrey-Maturin Novels" CDs while reading.

Musical Evenings With the Captain 2

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Eveni.../dp/B00000083U
I have the first CD, but haven't the later ones. A good way to get into the mood. Please join us for the discussion even if you don't do a re-read. As issybird said somewhere - "the more the merrier".
Old 07-09-2016, 03:14 AM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
FizzyWater, I'm not sure what I said where, so I'll repeat that I never thought these were my kind of books until a friend forced me to promise to try them; another MRer has a similar testimonial. Hooked from the start.
Thanks, I saw that over at the "what are you listening to" thread. It was that thread that made me follow over to this one and consider reading/listening to the books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've mean meaning to give this series a go for ages. Count me in. But I'll only be buying them as and when discussion of each volume is about to start.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll give it a go., but I probably won't participate much in the discussion. Plus this will satisfy one of my other challenges: read a book and see the movie.

If I like it, I reserve the right to binge read the series.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aubrey/maturin, book club, o'brian