Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Cheaper NOOK Tablet 8GB tipped for Wednesday

Source: http://www.slashgear.com/cheaper-noo...sday-20214363/
I'm living in Europe so this is not going to affect me directly, but the prices are probably going to down again since I don't think that Amazon would let B&N sell a cheaper tablet. There is no news on how low the price is going to be, but the assumption is $199.99.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks like a cheaper Nook Tab, not a Nook Color (which already costs $199). This would put a Nook Tab at the same pricepoint as the Kindle Fire.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I would imagine the Nook Color is going away once stock is sold through and they will use this 8GB version of the tablet to replace it.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
if they are going up against Kindle Fire I would have imagined that they would have opted for 16 GB storage. If the price is the same they need to offer a visible advantage and since storage and lack of card slot is the biggest complaint about the Fire...
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
if they are going up against Kindle Fire I would have imagined that they would have opted for 16 GB storage. If the price is the same they need to offer a visible advantage and since storage and lack of card slot is the biggest complaint about the Fire...
The NT already has twice the RAM, a card slot, a mic, and physical volume buttons. Definite advantages over the Fire.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Card slot? Yes, a clear advantage. The rest? Not so sure it matters to an average buyer. Tech savvy buyers is a different segment.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Card slot? Yes, a clear advantage. The rest? Not so sure it matters to an average buyer. Tech savvy buyers is a different segment.
But those that are not tech savvy enough to understand why more RAM is better are more likely to be impressed by a lower price than by more storage space, especially since more storage space can be easily increased with a microSD card.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
this is enticing, although I'm not really in the market for a tablet, but B&N loses me with their requirement to have a valid credit card on file in order to not brick the unit. A friend on one list said that she had to reformat her nook and redownload all her books when her credit card expiration date changed. That's too much like work for me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I wonder if there will be any user accessible storage on an 8GB version.

*sigh* I think BN need to get their head out of their rear. Personally I am not that interested in a 7 inch tablet (I am a bit) and I have an iPad 2. That said, as cheap as these are I'd consider getting a cheap 7 inch tablet as a play toy and ultra portable. However, both locking down almost all storage for BN content only and then locking the device in to your own market and prohibiting sideloaded apps just kills it for me.

I'd bet it probably kills it for a fair number of people as well.

The limited user storage space annoys me about my nook simple touch, but at least the ~240MB is plenty for a couple of hundred books and some wall paper. The 1GB on the nook tablet MIGHT get you a single feature length movie at resonable quality (about 25% of my SD movies fall under 1GB in size). At least the fire could fit 2-3 movies and some apps, a bit of music and some books on it and it could all be sideloaded.

The nook tablet could fit some music and some books and maybe a TV show or a low quality movie sideloaded (and no sideloaded apps, because those won't run).

Get your head out of your butt Barnes and Noble. Remove the ridiculous ban on sideloading, or at the VERY LEAST, remove the restriction on the user inaccessible storage space. Even at price parity, the extra costs in having to buy from your limited app store (which tends to have higher prices, some significantly higher) as well as pretty much being forced to buy SOME kind of microSD card to get storage space parity, and a fast one too if you want stuff to load at any kind of decent speed (to the card, not say playing a movie or something which a class 2 card is fine for) means that the device, both immediately and down the road is not at price parity to the Fire.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But those that are not tech savvy enough to understand why more RAM is better are more likely to be impressed by a lower price than by more storage space, especially since more storage space can be easily increased with a microSD card.
I believe the premise was that it would have the same price point as Kindle Fire. Hence, the card slot would be its advantageous feature vs KF.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
this is enticing, although I'm not really in the market for a tablet, but B&N loses me with their requirement to have a valid credit card on file in order to not brick the unit. A friend on one list said that she had to reformat her nook and redownload all her books when her credit card expiration date changed. That's too much like work for me.
That information is wrong. If you change your credit card you will still be able to read books downloaded with another credit card. You do not need to reformat your Nook, or to download your books again.

B&N requires a valid credit card because the B&N DRM uses your credit card number and name to encrypt the books.
This means that unlike with Kindle books that are tied to your device, a Nook book file can be read on any device supporting the DRM (and not just on one specific device). Which means backups are lot more useful.
It also means that you can copy a Nook book file to as many devices as you want, as many times as you want. Which makes sharing within for example a family much easier.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I wonder if there will be any user accessible storage on an 8GB version.

*sigh* I think BN need to get their head out of their rear. Personally I am not that interested in a 7 inch tablet (I am a bit) and I have an iPad 2. That said, as cheap as these are I'd consider getting a cheap 7 inch tablet as a play toy and ultra portable. However, both locking down almost all storage for BN content only and then locking the device in to your own market and prohibiting sideloaded apps just kills it for me.

I'd bet it probably kills it for a fair number of people as well.

The limited user storage space annoys me about my nook simple touch, but at least the ~240MB is plenty for a couple of hundred books and some wall paper. The 1GB on the nook tablet MIGHT get you a single feature length movie at resonable quality (about 25% of my SD movies fall under 1GB in size). At least the fire could fit 2-3 movies and some apps, a bit of music and some books on it and it could all be sideloaded.

The nook tablet could fit some music and some books and maybe a TV show or a low quality movie sideloaded (and no sideloaded apps, because those won't run).

Get your head out of your butt Barnes and Noble. Remove the ridiculous ban on sideloading, or at the VERY LEAST, remove the restriction on the user inaccessible storage space. Even at price parity, the extra costs in having to buy from your limited app store (which tends to have higher prices, some significantly higher) as well as pretty much being forced to buy SOME kind of microSD card to get storage space parity, and a fast one too if you want stuff to load at any kind of decent speed (to the card, not say playing a movie or something which a class 2 card is fine for) means that the device, both immediately and down the road is not at price parity to the Fire.
The new 8GB tablet will have 5 GB user space.
I also noticed this footnote in the current tablet specs:
7NOOK Tablet- 16GB: 1GB = 1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity may be less. 13GB for content, of which 12GB is reserved for NOOK Store content. If you want additional memory for personal content, you may use a microSD card of up to 32GB. If you want to re-configure the internal memory of your NOOK Tablet-16GB for additional personal storage, you need to visit your local Barnes & Noble on or after 3/12/12 for help in doing so.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you want to re-configure the internal memory of your NOOK Tablet-16GB for additional personal storage, you need to visit your local Barnes & Noble on or after 3/12/12 for help in doing so.
Thanks for that info. This bit is very interesting. Any additional info, like what partitioning options are available?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Thanks for that info. This bit is very interesting. Any additional info, like what partitioning options are available?
According to this PC magazine arcticle:
"For the $249 16GB version, meanwhile, Barnes & Noble announced plans for a March software update that will allow users to flip their tablet's storage allocation. Users will have the option for 5.5GB of Barnes & Noble content and 8GB for personal content. When it's available, users can bring their Nook to a Barnes & Noble store for the update. After that, users can choose which storage option they want when purchasing the 16GB Nook Tablet.".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400484,00.asp
Old 02-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
According to this PC magazine arcticle:
"For the $249 16GB version, meanwhile, Barnes & Noble announced plans for a March software update that will allow users to flip their tablet's storage allocation. Users will have the option for 5.5GB of Barnes & Noble content and 8GB for personal content. When it's available, users can bring their Nook to a Barnes & Noble store for the update. After that, users can choose which storage option they want when purchasing the 16GB Nook Tablet.".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400484,00.asp
Sounds good. Now if they'd just restore things so you could sideload apps without rooting like you could when it came out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote