Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #46
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Mostly trying to head off an extended argument, not feeling bad about where things have gone so far.

There are a couple of extras that are pretty important to me. 1) the pixel density. 1280x800 on a 7" screen is 215ppi, which is probably just right for my purposes. 2) I'd really love a transformer dock and a mini transformer.

I still don't think we have a reliable rumor of 370t cancellation. It's mostly a presumption -- who would buy the 370t with a cheaper nexus and would Asus invest in it if the nexus was undercutting demand. A fair presumption, but I'm still waiting to see what happens. If the 370t were to cost more but offer higher res and a dock option, I'd pay the piper happily. Asus has a decent reputation for not bloating their stuff up, so that doesn't worry me much. If I can't get the dock option, I'll get a usb or bluetooth keyboard on my own, but that's never going to be as smooth a solution for me.
I'm not sure anymore where the Nexus ends or the 370t begins, or vice-versa.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #47
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think you have a bit of a double standard, while you criticize the industry for a bottoms race you yourself purchased a lowered end tablet. Sure you might argue there is not a high end tablet that fits your need. Yet while you are not content with the current state of tablets you did cast your vote with a purchase of these tablets. Tell me did you pay $99 or $499 for the tablet.

There are however plenty of manufactures that have gone out of the norm and added enhanced features however they did not sell because of there price tag. The consumer has voted and they want cheap tablets before features.
Actually I purchased one Touchpad at full price ($499) because WebOS intrigued me. But I got the rebate later, so I wound up just paying $149.- for our 32 GB one which I gave to my wife and I later got a 64GB on ebay for around 350.-. Because of the problems with a lot of WebOS apps I use (Zinio, NewspaperDirect) and because I like more browser options I now mostly use Android. While the form factor is anything but top end, otherwise it is still on par with the other tablets on the market today for anything but gaming (which I don't). I do hope something really interesting comes up.

You are right, high-end Android tablets are not selling well. Which was the point I wanted to make. The "extra features" (the bump on the Sony really is the only thing that comes to mind for me) were really nothing to write home about. It is worrying for a platform when the products just cannot make it at the top end. The new Android phones from HTC, Samsung, etc blow the iphone out of the water (bigger screens, more functionality, better looking designs) but Android tablets have settled for being the "cheapo" option. It is like they are not even competing anymore, just looking for market niches Apple hasn't covered.

Nothing wrong with mopping up the low-end market, but at the same time they shouldn't neglect the top-end. Android tablets need some real buzz with outstanding new features or they will continue to be "Appled".

Well, now we will be chastised for being off topic again.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #48
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, now we will be chastised for being off topic again.
Hey is the person chastising one for being off topic, off topic?

Quote:
Nothing wrong with mopping up the low-end market, but at the same time they shouldn't neglect the top-end. Android tablets need some real buzz with outstanding new features or they will continue to be "Appled".

I think we have seen a good variation in the Android tablet just like we have seen on the phone world. They have just not been overly successful. Examples are the Transformers a great mixture of Laptop/Tablet, K1/HTC Flyer (great stylus integration), Thrive (full slots), Excite 13"(monster screen), Sony S Tablet(split screen), 7",8",9",10" tablets, low end tablets with high disk capacity and straight out 10" tablets that are thin and elegant.

They just aren't successful. Why because lack of awareness and proper pricing.

Verizon had made a statement that I believed was true prior to their announcement. They said it was their aggressive marketing campaign that made the Droid a success. Google responded by stating they hoped it was more their platform and hard work that made them a success. However their "Droid Does" was a fantastic campaign that brought a lot of awareness to the platform

The tablet space has had no real campaign every launch has been a blunder. Probably the best launch/product has been Asus's Transformer that was quietly launched and well received. Meanwhile Apple is aggressively advertizing their iPad product.

So what has this have to do with you're race to the bottom statement? Simply this tablets are overpriced the $200 7" is the sweet spot. If Google can deliver a tablet experience at that price they will be successful and the tides will bring more money to the tablet space and provide revenue to continue to develop leading edge technology. Why dump R&D money on a struggling platform.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #49
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I think X has pretty much hit it on the head.

But one crucial factor that he has forgotten is that we are in a recession. We have millions out of work, some for quite a few years, with little hope of getting re-employed.

I myself was out of work for over a year and a half, the last thing on my mind was getting an expensive gadget like an overpriced tablet. These are LUXURY items, not need to keep food on the table & roof over my head expenditures.

Next is the fact that these companies all jumped on the large size tablets. I bet if they had started with the 7" tablets rather than trying to compete with Apple, the tablet market may have taken off sooner.

I was never interested in a large tablet either for the size or the money. Now that everyone has finally gotten a clue, and I now have a job, I'm starting to look at 7" tablets.

I doubt I'm the only one who has this mindset.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #50
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Is the cat out of the bag?

Quote:
First off, the device code name: grouper. This follows in line with Google's long tradition of naming Nexus (or official developer hardware) devices after fish. (...) Next, the model name - Nexus 7. This seems to confirm the 7-inch form factor, as does the tablet-like resolution (768x1280 - found here). It also seems to be running a slightly lower clock speed version of Tegra 3, at 1.3GHz.
Source

I'm liking these specs.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #51
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Source

I'm liking these specs.
Nice find! I wouldn't have minded another ppi or 2, but that's still right on target. I'd rep ya, but I've reached my afv rep limit.

The "7" in the name lends credence to the theory that we'll be seeing more than one Nexus tab.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #52
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Is this the one you're referring too ?

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...kQhM3g&cad=rja

That screen resolution should be OK for use as a reader even though it wont match the iPad retina display, there is a big difference in price !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Is this the one you're referring too ?

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...kQhM3g&cad=rja

That screen resolution should be OK for use as a reader even though it wont match the iPad retina display, there is a big difference in price !
It's not quite "retina", but a 7" tablet at that resolution would yield 213ppi, which is pretty good; certainly good enough to use as a reader.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #54
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Android tablets need some real buzz with outstanding new features or they will continue to be "Appled".
Not needed!

In phone market samsung, htc and apple are make $.

Same in tablet market. much choice for consumer, all making much $.

This is way market works. working well here.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #55
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

The tablet space has had no real campaign every launch has been a blunder. Probably the best launch/product has been Asus's Transformer that was quietly launched and well received. Meanwhile Apple is aggressively advertizing their iPad product.
allmost all think they need a phone. plenty of room for all to make $.

tablets different. Many have laptops and dont see or need tablet. Android tablets fight not just ipad, but users with habit of using pcs too.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #56
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
allmost all think they need a phone. plenty of room for all to make $.

tablets different. Many have laptops and dont see or need tablet. Android tablets fight not just ipad, but users with habit of using pcs too.
Point well taken. I hadn't thought of it in just that way.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #57
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
It's not quite "retina", but a 7" tablet at that resolution would yield 213ppi, which is pretty good; certainly good enough to use as a reader.
Thanks for that quick response

I'll wait patiently 'til there available in from Amazon etc.
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #58
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120618PD220.html
Quote:
Google and Asustek Computer's jointly developed 7-inch Nexus tablet PC is set to be unveiled at Google I/O, a developer event that will be hosted from June 27-29 at San Francisco's Moscone Center in the US, with its initially price to be set at US$199 and manufactured by Quanta Computer, according to sources from upstream component makers.

The 7-inch Nexus tablet PC already started shipping in June and is estimated to be available in the retail channel in July with the device's total shipments expected to reach at least three million units in the second half of the year.

With Google expected to unveil the details of the devices at Google I/O, Asustek Chairman Jonney Shih will also attend the conference to jointly announce the tablet PC with Google.

Due to its low price, the 7-inch Nexus tablet PC only supports a Wi-Fi connection and does not feature a back-side webcam, but will equip with a front-side webcam for video conference.

The device will also be preloaded with Google's Chrome browser, with compatibility issues having been resolved to allow smoother operation for some software applications.

As for Asustek, the company also plans to release its own 7-inch tablet PC with price at only US$159-179 in August.
The info isn't new (sans the not so unexpected switch from back cam to front came), though the sourcing is more specific. This is one of few mentions that Asus still has a 7" of its own branding to release. The theory that they plan to undercut their Nexus price seems odd though. My ideal device would be a high res (200+ ppi) transformer mini -- same size transformer keyboard but with front facing speakers to fill out the available bezel space.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #59
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120618PD220.html

The info isn't new (sans the not so unexpected switch from back cam to front came), though the sourcing is more specific. This is one of few mentions that Asus still has a 7" of its own branding to release. The theory that they plan to undercut their Nexus price seems odd though. My ideal device would be a high res (200+ ppi) transformer mini -- same size transformer keyboard but with front facing speakers to fill out the available bezel space.
I don't care about 3G or rear camera (the only situation where that might be useful is if you're doing a video conf and want to show something and see at the same time what you're showing). As long as the resolution is decent (read 1280x720 or 1280x800), it has 1G RAM and a decent CPU, it should satisfy most folks.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I don't care about 3G or rear camera (the only situation where that might be useful is if you're doing a video conf and want to show something and see at the same time what you're showing). As long as the resolution is decent (read 1280x720 or 1280x800), it has 1G RAM and a decent CPU, it should satisfy most folks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote