Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you planning on upgrading to the Nook Simple Touch Reader from your Nook Classic?
YES 48 34.29%
NO 42 30.00%
On the fence / need more information 50 35.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I was going to get one, until I found out they removed the audio player and speakers. I like audiobooks. I find myself using the audio feature set of my Kindle far more than I thought I would.

Otherwise, it looks to be a great little ereader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #17
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I was going to get one, until I found out they removed the audio player and speakers. I like audiobooks. I find myself using the audio feature set of my Kindle far more than I thought I would.

Otherwise, it looks to be a great little ereader.
Whereas when I heard that I felt immediately vindicated. I HATE audiobooks, and if the new Nook can't play them then I won't be spammed with ads and recommendations to buy them. I have other devices for MP3 playing, so why would I want my ebook reader to do that?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #18
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...they removed the audio player and speakers. I like audiobooks.
And thank god for that. I only ever use the text-to-speech function on my kindle to annoy my boyfriend; the times I've listened to any mp3s on either the kindle or the nook I can count on one hand.

Oh, and audio-books are an evil that needs to be done away with!
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #19
Rjl2001
Enthusiast
Rjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseRjl2001 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic Wifi, Nook Color (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Can you add an option that says "Only if it comes down to $99"?

I like the device so far and I would buy it if it dropped to the $100 price point, but it's hard for me to justify plunking down $140 when I have a Nook Classic already (AND a PB360, AND a Nook Color, AND an Android smart phone).

I want to upgrade just because it's a pretty device, but considering that the only real advancements (for my purposes) are slightly faster interface, slightly less flashing, slightly easier SD card access, and slightly faster TOC interface via touch screen, I can't quite justify the cost at the moment.
Sounds like we're in the same boat then. At $99 I'm sure I would end up with one, but $140 seems too hard to justify for a poor college student who already has a Nook Classic. I guess I could have added another choice or two to the poll, but prefer to keep it simple. Also, not trying to exclude anyone in the poll but I did mean to be somewhat specific. In my opinion for someone buying their first e-reader, e-ink device, or B&N reader the Nook STR is clearly the top choice. However, for people who already have a e-ink device like a Nook Classic the choice gets much tougher.

Toddos and Tubemonkey, what a great example of how different people can have very different needs for the same device. Helps me realize how difficult it must be for B&N executives who make those decisions. Oh well, at least there is a lot of good competition in this market and something for most anyone.
Rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I have other devices for MP3 playing, so why would I want my ebook reader to do that?
You don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Oh, and audio-books are an evil that needs to be done away with!
You have your work cut out for you.

Meanwhile, I'm currently reading two audiobooks - Dune (Herbert) and The Jester (Patterson) - between three devices (Sansa Clip+, Kindle, iPod touch).
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
The longer battery life appeals to me, I often go a couple days without recharging my nook and then discover that I'm nearly out of battery. I will be waiting until I can play with it in the stores because I really want to see how well I like the touchscreen and keyboard.
The battery life information is really very misleading. The 2 months is based on reading no more than 30 minutes a day with wifi off. Translate that to the method used for the Nook classic and for other devices, and you get 30 hours, which is significantly less than 2 months.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The battery life information is really very misleading. The 2 months is based on reading no more than 30 minutes a day with wifi off. Translate that to the method used for the Nook classic and for other devices, and you get 30 hours, which is significantly less than 2 months.
Amazon changed their formula to match B&N. The old 1 month (60 minutes/day) is now 2 months (30 minutes/day).

Essentially, B&N just matched the K3's battery life and got cute about it.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
The poll would have been more interesting had it asked whether current Sony x50 owners, who already have the touchscreen that the Nook will have, are likely to buy the new Nook as a replacement for their Sonys.

The touch Nook will be half the price that I paid last October for the Sony 950, which might have tempted me had it been available at that time, especially as B&N is where I prefer to buy books. But the touch Nook seems to be lacking some of the things that the Sony includes, aside from the Sony being a 7-inch screen rather than a 6-inch screen, such as web access.

Other polling items that would be of interest are whether Nook classic owners are considering buying the Kobo touch, which will cost less and seems like it offers more than the Nook touch, and whether Kobo classic owners are considering buying the Nook touch.

Bottom line is that the penultimate questions for B&N are whether the Nook touch will convert owners of non-Nook devices to the Nook camp or simply be popular among those already Nookers, and whether the Nook touch will have any effect on Nook Color sales.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjl2001 View Post
Toddos and Tubemonkey, what a great example of how different people can have very different needs for the same device. Helps me realize how difficult it must be for B&N executives who make those decisions. Oh well, at least there is a lot of good competition in this market and something for most anyone.
I don't have a problem with B&N going this route. It just means the Nook is not for me. I'll have to wait a bit now to get a touch screen. More than likely, I'll be getting a Kindle Touch. I don't see Amazon ditching the audio player and speakers, because they're needed for audiobooks and text-to-speech.

They own Audible and a reduced Audible membership was one of the recent KSO offers. I have Audible books on my KSO and like listening to them when I get tired of reading. The ability to switch back and forth is a valuable feature for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Bottom line is that the penultimate questions for B&N are whether the Nook touch will convert owners of non-Nook devices to the Nook camp or simply be popular among those already Nookers, and whether the Nook touch will have any effect on Nook Color sales.
B&N had their chance to woo me away from the evil clutches of Amazon and blew it. Looks like Amazon has me by default.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #26
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'll be happy if they manage anywhere near the Kindle, even. Charging e-readers is annoying.

I think they went with the right approach here. Keep costs down and device power usage down by keeping the e-reader simple - just for reading. It also keeps their support costs down (less hassling with audio drivers, software, games, web browsers, etc - this all takes coding and software engineer time and energy).

This means they can leave the multimedia stuff to the Nook Color...or figure that people already have cellphones, mp3 players and such to cover that.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
i voted no.

maybe, in a couple of months, i might pick a used one up off of CL. I just gave my touch reader to my little sister - i can't stand reading though fingerprints. i am happy with my current nook wifi, and the wife is happy with her kobo wifi. no real urge to upgrade right now.

I am glad they kept the physical buttons. i do not like the flat face, however.

give me the ability to shelve books via Calibre, as a metatag, and i might just change my mind.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
scrollert
scrollert began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
I'm waiting to see how it handles lots of books. My Nook Classic is hacked and I use Calibre, Calibre2opds, and Trook to keep my Nook up to date. I didn't have much success using the shelves. So if I get some kind of option that will let me handle a large library (including hacking), I'll probably get one.
scrollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #29
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
I'm not so sure. I suspect they're more concerned with the zillions of people who don't have either, yet.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #30
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I voted yes because I'm currently selling my nook. I'm actually not selling it to upgrade but because I need some extra cash (times are hard). BTW, if anyone is interested in buying I posted a thread in the Flea Market forum.

When I get some extra cash and get another e-reader, I'll be getting the new nook. It has everything I want in an e-reader at a great price. Plus, I like the nook in general and B&N's customer service. So I'll definitely keep supporting them.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote