Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #61
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice Alf View Post
After some thought, I have decided to retire.

While the chances of being charged with any crime, let alone convicted, for non-commerical distribution of DRM circumvention software are remote, they are not quite remote enough for peace of mind any more.

My blog remains available (trimmed of some now redundant posts), and I have given the password to some other people, so I hope that it will be maintained, but there is, as always, no guarantee.

So long, and thanks for all the Karma.

— Alf.
Sorry to hear that. You are still very welcome here as any other user.

I know maybe this is too personal, but did you receive any pressure from anyone or any company against what you were doing?

Wish you the best!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #62
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Distributing tools to circumvent copy protection would also fall foul of the DMCA in America and the DEA in England.
Ah yes, you're quite right, I forgot about those.

I can't believe the DMCA has been around for 12 years. Ever since its inception, I've always considered it in the same league as the Volstead act: it's retarded, nobody wants it and it's going to be repealed some day. As a result, I pretty much ignore it and carry on thinking in pre-DMCA mode, hence my comment.

Oh well, hopefully the DeDRM project will be relocated to a non-US country with sensible laws and free people to work on it.
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #63
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
I just wanted to add my best wishes to you Alf!
And many, many thanks!!

Joyful
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #64
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Just want to add my best wishes for your "retirement" and sincere thanks for your web site.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #65
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
All the best Alf. For those who were geographically restricted, the tips and tricks offered on your site were a boon.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #66
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Thank you for all of the wisdom that you have passed to us :-)

I understand your reason for retiring and wish you the best of luck!

I hope we will still see you around Mobile Reads, even if under another name!
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #67
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Thanks for all you've done.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #68
Bindi
Bindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankindBindi has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Palm Tungsten T3; Sony PRS-350; Pocketbook 360
Alf - Thanks so much for all of your help. You've helped me save several hundred old books. Because of the your tools, I've also been able to purchase more new books and new ereaders than I would have otherwise.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #69
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Thanks Alf for all you've done. You will be missed.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #70
Apprentice Alf
Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apprentice Alf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I know maybe this is too personal, but did you receive any pressure from anyone or any company against what you were doing?
I haven't had from any contact from anyone or any company. No one has put pressure on me to stop.

Intellectually, I believe it to be an irrational worry. But that doesn't stop me being worried about it.

— Alf.
Apprentice Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #71
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Altho I haven't been here long, I've been to your page a couple times,and read a few things that make me hopeful about losing all my drm-ed books. Live long and prosper!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
What was the reason for updating the Adobe DRM circumvention scripts?
The reason was that a new version of ADE was released and the script to get the key was thus broken. So that had to be updated. It was updated and the program to strip the DRM was also updated. Then the script to get the key was again updated so the program to strip the DRM also had to be updated.

There have also been changes to support OpenSSL as an alternative to PyCrypto. Also, to make it compatible with Calibre as a plugin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #73
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice Alf View Post
I haven't had from any contact from anyone or any company. No one has put pressure on me to stop.

Intellectually, I believe it to be an irrational worry. But that doesn't stop me being worried about it.

— Alf.
I don't think it is irrational at all. In the tax arena, really smart people think up a tax shelter. Everyone uses it. Then it appears in the Wall Street Journal. It takes the IRS about 3 days to retroactively ban it.

Of course, the Wall Street Journal is a different publication. I want to apologize to you, as a user, for making your life difficult.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #74
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately, that's not the point. Although removing DRM for personal use MAY be legal in the US, the development and distribution of DRM removal tools is unquestionably NOT legal.

It's a stupid law, but it is the law, and Alf is very sensible to be wary of it. I would be, too, in his position.
I think there's some wiggleroom for legal development/distribution under the DMCA. It is arguable that what Alf was doing - developing the tools and putting them on the internet in a non-commercial setting, together with warnings concerning use - is okay. There are some free-speech aspects to writing & posting software code that could provide a defense under the First Amendment.

But most people wouldn't want to be the one to test the limits. Alf was willing, for a while, bless him, but I don't blame him at all for calling it quits at this point.

That, of course, is one of the basic problems with the DMCA - it operates in terrorem to prevent people from doing things that it doesn't, at bottom, actually forbid. We'll probably never know, because it takes someone who is willing to wind up a martyr to put the law to the test.

EDIT: Seeing Alf's later posts, it's clear that this is exactly what has happened to him.

Last edited by Harmon; 01-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #75
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Bless you for all you've done, Alf. I'll continue to whisper you a blessing each time I'm laid up, unable to read to myself. The ability to listen to TTS on my Kindle books is priceless beyond words.
Thank you.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote