Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #17281
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Since Roddy Doyle's The Guts is being released next week, I'm re-reading The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van as a refresher on the Rabbittes.

Your man Doyle is brilliant.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #17282
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Since Roddy Doyle's The Guts is being released next week, I'm re-reading The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van as a refresher on the Rabbittes.
Just finished The Commitments - even better than I remembered. Amazing, especially when you consider that it was his first novel. I'm really looking forward to what Doyle does with Jimmy Rabbitte in The Guts. On to The Snapper ...
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #17283
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished "March to the Sea" (and "March Upcountry" before that) and now onto "March to the Stars" by David Weber and John Ringo.

Really enjoying the series!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #17284
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just finished The Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey. He is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Now I'm all pumped up for Dust which comes out this month. And I can use the Amazon gift card I ordered from Swagbucks to get it. Maybe after I read Dust, I'll start on his Molly Fyde series. I bought the first book awhile ago.

Now I'm going to be reading Star Trek: The Shocks of Adversity by Willliam Leisner, since it will have to go back to the library. Looks like a good one!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #17285
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished March to the Sea. A great read. Now a bit of a break with a book recommended by Nathan Lowell, Ships of My Father's. I have just started it, so no opinion yet.
Well, I finished off Ships of My Father's, by Dan Thompson. This is a sort of YA-ish Trader Space Opera. IOW, a lot like the Nathan Lowell Solar Clipper series. Overall, this felt a little less polished than Nathan's, with some occasional pacing issues. But I finished with a strong desire to read the next book in the series, which isn't out yet. Overall 4 out of 5. Recommended.

Next up March to the Skies, book three of the Prince Roger/Empire of Man series.

Also, just finished the latest Maise Dobbs book, Leaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline Winspear. This is an enjoyable mystery series set in London between the Great War and WW2. The series is well written and enjoyable, with the usual ups and downs. This one was not the best, certainly, but enjoyable. I read it as an Audible book, with Orlagh Cassidy as the reader and she does an excellent job. Recommended if you've read earlier books. If not, go back to the beginning and get the first book, Maise Dobbs.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #17286
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Just finished "March to the Sea" (and "March Upcountry" before that) and now onto "March to the Stars" by David Weber and John Ringo.

Really enjoying the series!
Fun, isn't it? I'm currently about parallel with you, but in my case it's a re-read. Of all the MilSF I've read, this series is definitely in the top handful. Well written, with a definite sense of humour, and great beasts.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #17287
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Fun, isn't it? I'm currently about parallel with you, but in my case it's a re-read. Of all the MilSF I've read, this series is definitely in the top handful. Well written, with a definite sense of humour, and great beasts.
It is fun, I've always liked Weber (love Honor Harrington) but I've never read anything else by Ringo.

I had heard rumor of a 5th book in Empire of Man but as long as "We Few" brings things to a conclusion, I'll be happy.

I do like the new beasts that seem to show up every chapter or so...something else on the planet out to get you!
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #17288
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Titan" by Stephen Baxter, one of the finest living "Hard SF" authors, to my mind.

After a fatal Space Shuttle accident, a sceptical new US administration decides to abandon manned space flight. Diehards within NASA put forward a daring plan to finish with a final flourish - a manned mission to Saturn's largest moon, Titan. This book tells the story of that mission, and the disastrous events that unfold back on Earth.

An excellent book. Recommended for any lover of traditional hard SF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #17289
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Empire of Man/Prince Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
It is fun, I've always liked Weber (love Honor Harrington) but I've never read anything else by Ringo.

I had heard rumor of a 5th book in Empire of Man but as long as "We Few" brings things to a conclusion, I'll be happy.

I do like the new beasts that seem to show up every chapter or so...something else on the planet out to get you!
Yes, there will be a new one, probably some time next year. But We Few ties things up enough that one doesn't feel cheated. And meanwhile, Baen will be bringing the individual books out in Omnibus editions, the first one next February. (March Upcountry and March to the Sea.)
Old 08-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #17290
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have started Wicked Bronze Ambition by Glen Cook. This is the 14th in the Garrett PI Series. So far I am enjoying it.
I think I start rereading The Empire of Man Series in the next few weeks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #17291
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Titan" by Stephen Baxter, one of the finest living "Hard SF" authors, to my mind.
Sounds interesting, when to add it to Wish list... Amazon says it is book 2 of the NASA trilogy. However, I can't find a book 1 or 3???

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #17292
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool NASA trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sounds interesting, when to add it to Wish list... Amazon says it is book 2 of the NASA trilogy. However, I can't find a book 1 or 3???

BOb
Voyage (NASA Trilogy #1)
Moonseed (NASA Trilogy #3)

Last edited by alansplace; 08-01-2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #17293
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Paul, what chapter are you up to? I believe it is up to Chapter 96 or 97.
The latest chapter is chapter 96. I have read them all. I am now waiting for Chapter 97 to appear.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #17294
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I decided to try Agent of Change by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. It's evidently an early title in the Liaden series and currently free to download. It's a bit of a struggle for me but I'm hoping to finish it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #17295
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I decided to try Agent of Change by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. It's evidently an early title in the Liaden series and currently free to download. It's a bit of a struggle for me but I'm hoping to finish it.
Chronologically, it's in the middle, but it was the first story published, so it's not a bad place to start.