Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The H2O is a NON android device; it is in the Kobo eReader series, not the defunct Kobo tablet series.

The only issue is that currently the Kobo Touch driver in 1.48 does not support the H2O. However, if you're prepared to run from source (ie both calibre 1.48 and source for 1.48) a few very simple changes can be made to the Kobo driver.

In the 1.48 source you need to edit calibre\src\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py

Around line 1364 you will see
Code:
    AURA_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4203]
    AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID  = [0x4193]
    GLO_PRODUCT_ID      = [0x4173]
    MINI_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4183]
    TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID    = [0x4163]
    PRODUCT_ID          = AURA_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID + GLO_PRODUCT_ID + MINI_PRODUCT_ID + TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Add in a line for the Aura H2O
Code:
    AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4213]
and change the PRODUCT_ID = line to
Code:
    PRODUCT_ID          = AURA_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID + GLO_PRODUCT_ID + MINI_PRODUCT_ID + TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Around line 2767 you will see
Code:
    def isAura(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_PRODUCT_ID
    def isAuraHD(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID
    def isGlo(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.GLO_PRODUCT_ID
    def isMini(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.MINI_PRODUCT_ID
    def isTouch(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Add in
Code:
    def isAuraH2O(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID
Look for
Code:
    def cover_file_endings(self):
        return self.GLO_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isGlo() or self.isAura() else self.AURA_HD_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isAuraHD() else self.COVER_FILE_ENDINGS
Change this to
Code:
        return self.GLO_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isGlo() or self.isAura() else self.AURA_HD_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isAuraHD() or self.isAuraH2O() else self.COVER_FILE_ENDINGS
Finally look for
Code:
    def set_device_name(self):
        device_name = self.gui_name
        if self.isAura():
            device_name = 'Kobo Aura'
        elif self.isAuraHD():
            device_name = 'Kobo Aura HD'
        elif self.isGlo():
            device_name = 'Kobo Glo'
        elif self.isMini():
            device_name = 'Kobo Mini'
        elif self.isTouch():
            device_name = 'Kobo Touch'
        self.__class__.gui_name = device_name
        return device_name
Change this to
Code:
        if self.isAura():
        elif self.isAuraHD():
        elif self.isAuraH2O():
            device_name = 'Kobo Aura H2O'
        elif self.isGlo():
            device_name = 'Kobo Glo'
        elif self.isMini():
        elif self.isTouch():
        return device_name
If I've done it right https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocly93z9c5...atched.py?dl=0 should be a link to a patched version of the source. Of coruse it would have to be renamed to driver.py and placed in the correct source directory.

Last edited by PeterT; 01-14-2015 at 04:29 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And the quick and dirty way to do this is...

Change the line for the Aura HD from:
Code:
to:

Code:
    AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID  = [0x4193, 0x4213]
It won't display the correct model name, but everything will work.

As to the non-run-from-source method, my plan is to create a plugin that subclasses the existing KoboTouch plugin. It will basically be a container for the extra code that PeterT listed. While I have done similar things in the past, I don't want to do it until it is needed and can be tested. And yes, I can fake it, but if no-one is around to use it, there are much better uses of my time (reading a book comes to mind). I also don't feel like answering all the "do I need to install this?" questions. Or complaints that it doesn't do anything from those who installed it in the latest calibre.

It will also need changes to the utilities plugin and maybe the extended driver to recognise the driver. Again, I know how to do it, have done it for other reasons, but until there is an actual need, I'm not going to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Spoil sport
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I should be thanking you for pulling the lines out I'll probably need later.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #20
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have a feeling that the Kobo H2O is a MTP type device (like most of the modern eReader devices). If I am right then it willnot work on XPwith Calibre as Calibre does not support MTP devices on XP.
No, the H2O presents itself as a USB disk. It's not an MTP device.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #21
A.T.E.
A.T.E. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-300, FBReader
I have bought the Kobo Aura H2O.
I can confirm that Windows XP sees it as a normal USB device (not MTP).
If I can help you to test your plugin, here I am.
A.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.E. View Post
eschwartz: the reasons why I am not upgrading Windows are the hardware limitations and the compatibility with an older software that won't run on Vista and newer.
I would be more open to use Linux. The only problem is that it would complicate my IT life at home. I have tested it in these days on a dual boot from a secondary drive: Linux works like a charm, however making Calibre connect to the library on my NAS via Windows/Samba/CIFS share is already proving not so simple, as I need to tweak things so that the share is mounted, with the right permissions and so on... (*)
On the other hand my XP setup is already done and it is doing its job just fine.

(*) I'd rather relax and read an e-book, don't you think? :-)
Your choice, but if NAS is your reason, keep in mind that the official FAQ strongly discourages keeping your library on a networked filesystem: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas

Which isn't to say bad things will for sure happen, just that it is unsupported and likely to fail catastrophically at any time and no support will be provided.
Certain magic setups have worked for some people, and some of those people have later complained that it stopped working, for no particular reason.
Some have kept their setups working just fine. You may be one of those lucky few. Want to bet on it, though?

In other words: Here Be Dragons, use at your own risk.

I would prefer to use rsync to back my library up to the NAS.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-22-2015 at 05:11 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The H2O is a NON android device; it is in the Kobo eReader series, not the defunct Kobo tablet series.

The only issue is that currently the Kobo Touch driver in 1.48 does not support the H2O. However, if you're prepared to run from source (ie both calibre 1.48 and source for 1.48) a few very simple changes can be made to the Kobo driver.

In the 1.48 source you need to edit calibre\src\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py

Around line 1364 you will see
Code:
    AURA_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4203]
    GLO_PRODUCT_ID      = [0x4173]
    MINI_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4183]
    TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID    = [0x4163]
    PRODUCT_ID          = AURA_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID + GLO_PRODUCT_ID + MINI_PRODUCT_ID + TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Add in a line for the Aura H2O
Code:
    AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4213]
and change the PRODUCT_ID = line to
Code:
    PRODUCT_ID          = AURA_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID + AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID + GLO_PRODUCT_ID + MINI_PRODUCT_ID + TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Around line 2767 you will see
Code:
    def isAura(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_PRODUCT_ID
    def isAuraHD(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID
    def isGlo(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.GLO_PRODUCT_ID
    def isMini(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.MINI_PRODUCT_ID
    def isTouch(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID
Add in
Code:
    def isAuraH2O(self):
        return self.detected_device.idProduct in self.AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID
Look for
Code:
        return self.GLO_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isGlo() or self.isAura() else self.AURA_HD_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isAuraHD() else self.COVER_FILE_ENDINGS
Change this to
Code:
        return self.GLO_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isGlo() or self.isAura() else self.AURA_HD_COVER_FILE_ENDINGS if self.isAuraHD() or self.isAuraH2O() else self.COVER_FILE_ENDINGS
Finally look for
Code:
        if self.isAura():
        elif self.isAuraHD():
        elif self.isGlo():
            device_name = 'Kobo Glo'
        elif self.isMini():
        elif self.isTouch():
        return device_name
Change this to
Code:
        if self.isAura():
        elif self.isAuraHD():
        elif self.isAuraH2O():
            device_name = 'Kobo Aura H2O'
        elif self.isGlo():
            device_name = 'Kobo Glo'
        elif self.isMini():
        elif self.isTouch():
        return device_name
If I've done it right https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocly93z9c5...atched.py?dl=0 should be a link to a patched version of the source. Of coruse it would have to be renamed to driver.py and placed in the correct source directory.
Or clone: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/cali...inXP-backports
Or download a static copy: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/cali...-backports.zip

These will always point to the latest version of whatever driver/stuff backports I added. If anything else is needed for any reason, I can add those too.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-22-2015 at 05:19 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:14 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have bought the Kobo Aura H2O.
I can confirm that Windows XP sees it as a normal USB device (not MTP).
If I can help you to test your plugin, here I am.
I'll do this over the weekend. But, could you run "Debug device detection" and post the log? It is on the Miscellaneous page of the preferences. This is mainly for my curiosity. I didn't get one for the Aura H2O before I originally updated the driver.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

KoboTouch plugin for calibre 1.48

Attached is a plugin for use with calibre 1.48 and enables the Kobo Aura H2O. It is a quick override of the built-in KoboTouch driver that includes code needed for the H2O. At the moment, it does the minimum needed to add the support. But, it if needed, any future changes to the driver in calibre v2 can be added. As well as supporting the H2O, this will also add those changes to the other Kobo devices.

The plugin also adds support for firmware v3.12.0 to calibre 1.48. But, if you are not using a Aura H2O, you can continue using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the built-in driver.

The driver has the very creative name of "KOBOTOUCH148".

This driver is only for use with calibre 1.48 on systems that cannot be upgraded to calibre v2. I will NOT give any support for any using this driver with calibre v2.

To install:

- Disable the built-in KoboTouch driver
- Download the attached file
- Install the driver using the plugins section of the preferences
- Restart calibre
- Configure the driver
- Connect your Kobo Aura H2O

I have tested this as well as I can without actually having a Aura H2O (maybe in another few days). The testing has been simulated with my Glo in calibre 1.48 on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine. I don't expect any problems, but there might be some. Please report any problems here for me to look at.

If you see a problem, I need as much detail as possible to look at it. A full description of the what happened and what you expected to happen is needed. A calibre debug log is also helpful.

Notes:

- The Kobo Utilities plugin will work with this driver.
- The Kobo Touch Extended driver will not work with this driver. If you want to sideload books as kepubs, use the KePub Output plugin to convert the books before sending them to the device.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-26-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed driver as it has been released
Old 01-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
A.T.E.
A.T.E. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-300, FBReader
@ davidfor:

Please find attached the log file of what happens in 1.48 when connecting the H2O.
Then I have installed your plugin driver: it works.
Thanks a lot!
If I will see any issue I will tell you.

@ eschwartz

I didn't know that the official FAQ discourages keeping the library on a networked filesystem. Good to know; I will think about it.

On the other hand I access the library as a single user, from the same OS (well in these days as I wrote I have tested the access from Linux), from the same calibre version 1.48, the NAS (QNAP TS-109 II) firmware is the same and it will not be upgraded. This to say that my home IT infrastructure is not very evolutive, so hardly new things happen.

Launching a rsync from it to the XP laptop where calibre is running and where the local library is? Using cygwin to do it the other way round? After all when I do the periodical backups from the NAS to an external HDD it's a rsync too, and in case of disaster I have the backup.

Finally what might happen? A corruption of the metadata.db file, I suppose. Or would the disaster affect the ebook files too? If it is only the metadata.db file, no big deal: I can re-import the books in calibre.

PS: thanks for the help for the source building of calibre; obviously installing davidfor's plugin was easier for me.
Attached Files
File Type: txt h2o_log.txt (786 Bytes, 257 views)
A.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@ davidfor:

Please find attached the log file of what happens in 1.48 when connecting the H2O.
Thanks, that gets added to my collection of Kobo related logs.
Quote:
Then I have installed your plugin driver: it works.
Thanks a lot!
If I will see any issue I will tell you.
That's very good to hear.
Quote:

@ eschwartz

I didn't know that the official FAQ discourages keeping the library on a networked filesystem. Good to know; I will think about it.

On the other hand I access the library as a single user, from the same OS (well in these days as I wrote I have tested the access from Linux), from the same calibre version 1.48, the NAS (QNAP TS-109 II) firmware is the same and it will not be upgraded. This to say that my home IT infrastructure is not very evolutive, so hardly new things happen.

Launching a rsync from it to the XP laptop where calibre is running and where the local library is? Using cygwin to do it the other way round? After all when I do the periodical backups from the NAS to an external HDD it's a rsync too, and in case of disaster I have the backup.

Finally what might happen? A corruption of the metadata.db file, I suppose. Or would the disaster affect the ebook files too? If it is only the metadata.db file, no big deal: I can re-import the books in calibre.
To me, this is one of those things that should just work. There are lots of complicated applications running that access the data on networked drives. But, the problems seem to be network performance related, so it probably means that if there are any issues with that, then the problems turn up. A lot of people who have problems say "but it's been working OK for years". That probably means something new was added to the network.

In the case of a low power NAS like yours, if someone accessed it and say copied a file at the wrong time, you might see a problem. I have a TS-209 II and we mainly use it as media store. It can play two or three movies to different devices in the house, but when starting a new movie, the others might stutter a little bit.

The problems seem to be mainly with database access. One of the solutions is to store the database locally and the books on the server. There's an environment variable that can be set to point to the database. You could write a script that wraps starting calibre and copies the database to and from the NAS. If you did, I'd suggest creating a file on the NAS to use as a check that calibre isn't running somewhere else.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Attached is a plugin for use with calibre 1.48 and enables the Kobo Aura H2O. It is a quick override of the built-in KoboTouch driver that includes code needed for the H2O. At the moment, it does the minimum needed to add the support. But, it if needed, any future changes to the driver in calibre v2 can be added. As well as supporting the H2O, this will also add those changes to the other Kobo devices.

The plugin also adds support for firmware v3.12.0 to calibre 1.48. But, if you are not using a Aura H2O, you can continue using the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the built-in driver.

The driver has the very creative name of "KOBOTOUCH148".

This driver is only for use with calibre 1.48 on systems that cannot be upgraded to calibre v2. I will NOT give any support for any using this driver with calibre v2.

To install:

- Disable the built-in KoboTouch driver
- Download the attached file
- Install the driver using the plugins section of the preferences
- Restart calibre
- Configure the driver
- Connect your Kobo Aura H2O

I have tested this as well as I can without actually having a Aura H2O (maybe in another few days). The testing has been simulated with my Glo in calibre 1.48 on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine. I don't expect any problems, but there might be some. Please report any problems here for me to look at.

If you see a problem, I need as much detail as possible to look at it. A full description of the what happened and what you expected to happen is needed. A calibre debug log is also helpful.

Notes:

- The Kobo Utilities plugin will work with this driver.
- The Kobo Touch Extended driver will not work with this driver. If you want to sideload books as kepubs, use the KePub Output plugin to convert the books before sending them to the device.
With the release of the Kobo Glo HD, I have updated this driver and created a thread for it.

Tags
calibre, kobo, plugin, tolino, windows xp