Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Glo and Calibre

I'm trying to put .rtf files on an SD card to read on my Glo, and am running into a problem. Sometimes the files transfer OK. Other times Calibre says it can't connect to the Glo because of a communication error. This can happen in the same session: one book will transfer OK, and the next one won't.

The files are magazine articles that I edited in Word and saved as rft.

Calibre is ver 0.9.28 [64 bit]
Glo is ver 2.5.1
Windows 8
Lots of room on the SD card

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the details of the error message:

(1117, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 551, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1758, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 256, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 986, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 177, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 134, in _windows_space
error: (1117, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.')
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Faulty USB cable?
Faulty USB port on PC?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Faulty USB cable?
Faulty USB port on PC?
Thanks for the suggestion, but I use the same cable and port to connect to Kobo Desktop with no problem. And to connect other devices as well.

However... the card may be the problem. I've started getting errors when I plug it in. Windows checks and says it has fixed the problem, but I get the same message next time. I guess it's off to the computer store in the morning!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Clara
I had a similar problem with Windows repeatedly "fixing" the SD card. Turned out it was the USB cable, works fine on other devices, just not my Glo so don't be in a hurry to change your card, try another cable first.
peejayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejayw View Post
I had a similar problem with Windows repeatedly "fixing" the SD card. Turned out it was the USB cable, works fine on other devices, just not my Glo so don't be in a hurry to change your card, try another cable first.
Thanks for that tip. I did some further checking and although the cable seems to be OK it may be a port problem after all. Not a "bad" port, but maybe a too good one!

I'm using a new laptop and was connecting via the USB 3.0 port. I found that the first book would transfer OK, but the second would return a communication error. I switched to the USB 2.0 port, and everything now seems to be working fine. (Everything else seems to work with the 3.0 port, just not Calibre.)

Hope that solves it! Thanks.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejayw View Post
One further point... I tried the SD card in the computer, and Windows no longer tries to "fix" it. Could Calibre have a problem with USB 3.0, I wonder.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Faulty USB cable?
Faulty USB port on PC?
As I wrote in another post here, I seem to have fixed the problem by switching from a USB 3.0 port to a 2.0 one. Is this a known problem, or just a quirk on my system?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I had the same problem after the update to 2.5.0

I've been trying to discover if there was some driver issue that would cause the problems I have been having in copying large files to a Kobo Glo since I updated to 2.5.0. ( see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=212 and subsequent posts).

Expanding both the 2.4 and 2.5 update packages I found the following files that looked as if they might have some bearing on the matter :

\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget\g_file_storage.ko
and
\drivers\freescale\usb\gadget\g_file_storage.ko

Clearly the two are variants for different processors. I've come across the reference to Linux File-Backed Storage Gadget on my Hanlin V3s which is how the exported USB drives appear there and this is why I suspect that these drivers on the Glo fulfil a similar function (there is some info about the Mass Storage Gadget at http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/ ). Although there are other files in the same folders when I compare files the one above is the only ones which is different between the 2.4 and the 2.5 releases.

The problem re-occurred with 2.5.1.

I have now reverted to 2.4.0 and to date I haven't had a problem (but I haven't been doing any intensive coying so this isn't conclusive).

If you read through the thread mentioned above you will see that the problem is not Calibre related - I have hit copying problems even when Calibre is not active.

Reading the info on the Mass Storage gadget it does mention circumstances where the USB connection can become unstable.

To date I have not been able to reliably reproduce the error which occurs randomly with periods of being able to copy large files then bombing out on a small one.

I thought I was the only one with this problem but it looks like I might not be.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Looks like the freescale drivers are the same across all three f/w levels (2.4.0 new, 2.5.0 and 2.5.1) but the ntx508 drivers change between 2.4.0 new and 2.5.0. 2.5.1 though is the same as 2.4.0.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote