Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #76
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Trouble is Apple can get away with that because their products often are better than the competition.
Quote:
brainwashing the fanboys and fangirls into believing it is way better than anything else in the market"
looks like apple succeeded here!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #77
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm not a fan of Chrome OS. If this was running Android, I'd be seriously considering it, and if it can run Windows (even if it is Win8) I'd definitely buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
No, the machine lacks a BIOS. You could, in theory, put a GNU/Linux distro on it but because it uses non-standard firmware, that likely isn't a very straightforward process.
You can install Mint Linux on it.
You have to go through hassle of booting to the developer mode every single time you want to boot the non-standard OS on it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #78
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Apparently Google thinks it can pull off an Apple thing--introduce a product that is overpriced and manage to sell it by brainwashing the fanboys and fangirls into believing it is way better than anything else in the market.
I'd say that at best people here have said that it's a viable alternative. Hardly the mantra of fanbois.

Quote:
Buy a netbook instead for $300 or less.
Or, indeed a sub $300 chromebook, if you don't want the high end hardware but your needs are satisfied by what cloud computing has to offer.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #79
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Only reason is to do same as with Android, a flagship demo product. Google will never really get in hardware market I believe. Just how many phones they have around, made by them?
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #80
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
Only reason is to do same as with Android, a flagship demo product. Google will never really get in hardware market I believe. Just how many phones they have around, made by them?
Motorola Mobility - Will they keep it? I don't know, but they ARE in the market and with the company that invented cell technology.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-24-2013 at 10:21 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #81
Matteob
Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard (3)
I am sorry but I would not pay this for a chromebook. It is the most restrictive machine out there in what you can run on it due to its walled garden.I hope it does fail as it seems exactly what Jonathan Zittrain is talking about in his "Future of the Internet and how to Stop it". I am much more in favour of windows or apple which lets you run third party applications (even at the risk of malware on a pc) than the restrictive environment of a chromebook. I like android phones and tablets but the laptop is a crazy idea. I would not even buy their base £199 version as all it is is a net browsing tool.
Matteob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteob View Post
I would not even buy their base £199 version as all it is is a net browsing tool.
I'd buy a low end Chromebook, because browsing/streaming the net is all I use a computer for.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 02-24-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #83
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am sorry but I would not pay this for a chromebook. It is the most restrictive machine out there in what you can run on it due to its walled garden.
Restrictive, yes, in that you can't run Windows or Mac software on it, or indeed iOS or Android apps, but that's kind of the point - to push the delivery of applications out to the cloud. But walled garden?

While the chrome store itself is an option for apps, I don't see how you can describe this concept as being in a walled garden. The chromebook is based around an industry-standard browser which gives you access to web apps and HTML5 cloud-based services from any provider.

For example, Kindle's web version direct from Amazon would run, or leading industry solutions such as SalesForce. To dismiss such powerful web applications as 'net-browsing' is to close your eyes to what a browser can achieve.

I can see the argument that a good browser on an Android tablet or the iPad would give you the same functionality while also providing a source of local apps, but I think chromebooks aren't competing with tablets. They're pitched more against netbooks and laptops running traditional OSes.

That loss of local processing flexibility is their trade-off for ease-of-maintenance and a simple front end, as Google are reinforcing with their advertising campaign. Where your own needs fall on that scale will ultimately determine whether a chromebook would work for you.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #84
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I think Google are trying to emulate Apple in the sense of creating a new market. Tablets existed before the iPad but it was the iPad that made them cool and desirable. At the time I couldn't see the point - you've got smartphones and netbooks for mobile use and laptops and desktops for the rest - but I was wrong. There was a whole group of people out there who use a PC mainly to consume but wanted something simpler.

I think Google want the Chromebook to be similar, somewhere between a traditional laptop and a tablet - more than a purely consumption device but simpler than a trad laptop. And by making a shiny shiny (and pricey pricey) version they are attempting to make it cool.

Again it's not for everyone but it doesn't have to be.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #85
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am sorry but I would not pay this for a chromebook. It is the most restrictive machine out there in what you can run on it due to its walled garden.I hope it does fail as it seems exactly what Jonathan Zittrain is talking about in his "Future of the Internet and how to Stop it". I am much more in favour of windows or apple which lets you run third party applications (even at the risk of malware on a pc) than the restrictive environment of a chromebook. I like android phones and tablets but the laptop is a crazy idea. I would not even buy their base £199 version as all it is is a net browsing tool.
I don't think you understand the significance of the QuickOffice announcement. Guys, this is a game changer. Using native client, this means Chrome becomes more than a browser. It means real apps running in a secure sandbox at near native speeds. Now Google's own apps will be internet focused, but the technology says, "They don't have to be internet focused apps!"

Google's purchase of QuickOffice is no accident. It's as close to MS Office as an office suite can get, I suspect. It brings serious office tools to the chrome/android environment. It means you can be as tied to the internet as you and the developers want. Since Native client is built into the Chrome browser as well (and being used for minor stuff, already), ANY PC can 'run' the chrome OS.

With a little luck and some skillful, well funded marketing on Google's part, your PC could wind up a Pixel clone most of the time. Google's goal is clearly to turn Win8 into an overpriced Chrome OS launching app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Native_Client

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/22/goo...bout-3-months/
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #86
Matteob
Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard (3)
yes but what about the times I am not connected to the net?I can use Word offline which is a huge benefit. I also use lots of great third party programmes that I value such as Calibre, Winrar, MIRC etc which i can get onto Windows or OS but not onto the Chromebook. Only google sanctioned stuff is allowed.

Maybe walled garden is not the right description but it is certainly a tethered device and that is what turns me off.
Matteob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #87
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
yes but what about the times I am not connected to the net?I can use Word offline which is a huge benefit. I also use lots of great third party programmes that I value such as Calibre, Winrar, MIRC etc which i can get onto Windows or OS but not onto the Chromebook. Only google sanctioned stuff is allowed.

Maybe walled garden is not the right description but it is certainly a tethered device and that is what turns me off.
You can use a chromebook offline.

It is a complete falsehood that only Google-sanctioned stuff is allowed.

There are web app equivalents for WinRAR and MIRC.

Clearly if there are specific Windows or OSX programs that you need then a chromebook isn't for you (in the same way that there are specific Mac programs that might stop you buying a Windows machine).

You're right that there will be applications like Calibre that don't have web-based equivalents (although if you have your Calibre library running on a desktop at home you could certainly access it from a Chromebook), but HTML5 is still really in its infancy.

Like you, a chromebook probably isn't for me as a primary machine at the moment - I have specific music, writing, mapping and gaming applications that don't yet have web-based analogues, but as a second machine? It's worth considering.

Graham
Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #88
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You can install Mint Linux on it.
You have to go through hassle of booting to the developer mode every single time you want to boot the non-standard OS on it.
As I understand it, the Pixel will come ready made with a Linux/Ubuntu capability from the manufacturer ready to go. No problem
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #89
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Google will have a fine line to walk. . .

GOOGLE produced apps will likely be internet concentric. But Chrome OS itself is NOT just an internet platform, though it is extremely internet capable. Once the SDKs (development kits) get into the hands of programmers, there will be no limits on how this OS develops. It will be up to the programmers and the consumers as to how local Chrome apps will be.

The QuickOffice project is a strong indication of that intent. QO has been around since the days of the Palm Pilot. A respected name in portable office apps that has always run locally and stored locally. Users EXPECT that to continue. True, Google will add the ability to seamlessly use Google Drive and maybe other online storage services, but if they want it to sell (as opposed to being given away, and indications are, they DO want to sell it), it will have to have a high degree of locality.

Edit: I agree, at this point, Chrome is a system suited only for second PC status for most people. As a photographer, I know there is no online equivalent of Lightroom or Photoshop. Nor does Chrome offer anything significant, either locally or online, to compete with Adobe applications. But that doesn't mean the situation won't change.

I've been playing around with Linux a bit for the last couple of weeks. I believe the strongly related business models that Microsoft and Apple have been using for the last 20 years or so are coming to the end of life situation. It seems Microsoft, in their ham-fisted way, agree with me considering the inelegant manner in which they have 'promoted' the new subscription model for MS Office.

I'm not convinced that the Linux model is all that superior to the MS/Apple model. It is really the same business model as the other two with some minor tweaks. (a totally local system with internet added on)

The simple truth is, in my eyes at least, that an OS that neither favors nor hinders either local or online applications is better suited to our evolving infrastructure. And right now, Google Chrome is it. Firefox has just come out with a primitive phone OS that might compete in the future, but right now, it is way too early to place bets on it.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 02-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #90
Graham
Wizard

It's also worth pointing out that the other chromebook sold alongside the Pixel through Google Play, the Acer C7, has a 320 GB hard drive.

Lack of on-board storage isn't in itself a feature of Chrome OS. Different manufacturers will cater for consumers with different needs.

Graham