Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
garybob
garybob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Problem since updating to Calibre 6.45

Hi all. Newbie to site so please be patient. I have used Calibre for some 9 months nowand found it far superior and more user friendly than Sony's own software ( Ihave a Sony PRS-505 by the way).
However, the other day I updated to version 6.45 and at the same time I deleted the folder Calibre library, thinking it would be a good idea to start with a clean sheet.(All my books are also stored on an external hard drive). Big Mistake!! When I brought up the updated version of Calibre it immediately said that the path to the library was invalid and to choose another. It then came up with a message containing the word Python and the whole application shut down. I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the programme, each time running all the usual registry cleanups and deletions to no avail.
Is there anyone out there in the great yonder who can help? PLEASE!
garybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What OS are you on? You probably need to delete the configuration file that tells it you have an existing library.

Or, perhaps start it from the command line passing in the --with-library PATH argument and it will create a new library at the path you specify.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
garybob

Thanks for your interest. I can tell you that I am using Windows XP but have no idea what a cofiguration file is or how to delete it. Again I haven't a clue how to start anything from a command line 'cos I don't know what it is. My apologies for being stupid, but any (simplified) help you can giv would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by garybob View Post
Hi all. Newbie to site so please be patient. I have used Calibre for some 9 months nowand found it far superior and more user friendly than Sony's own software ( Ihave a Sony PRS-505 by the way).
However, the other day I updated to version 6.45 and at the same time I deleted the folder Calibre library, thinking it would be a good idea to start with a clean sheet.(All my books are also stored on an external hard drive). Big Mistake!! When I brought up the updated version of Calibre it immediately said that the path to the library was invalid and to choose another. It then came up with a message containing the word Python and the whole application shut down. I have repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the programme, each time running all the usual registry cleanups and deletions to no avail.
Is there anyone out there in the great yonder who can help? PLEASE!
Deleting the "Library" folder was a terrible idea .

There is a hidden calibre folder (there are also many others that belong to other programs) that contains your configurations. Exposing this to a Novice opens way too many opportunities to shoot yourself in the foot

The simplest route for a O/S novice may be to simply (re-)create the Library folder with the exact same name and location and see if Calibre recovers.

The way suggested by Pilotbob might be requires that open the properties of the calibre shortcut and add the suggested text to the command section.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The way suggested by Pilotbob might be requires that open the properties of the calibre shortcut and add the suggested text to the command section.
Not really. Just open a command window and type the command:

calibre --with-library c:\Path\To\Library

BOb
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not really. Just open a command window and type the command:

calibre --with-library c:\Path\To\Library

BOb
does that make it permanent?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
does that make it permanent?
Yes... that will put that path into the config and subsequent runnings of the app will use that location until you supply a different path.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
garybob

Thanks to Pilotbob and Theducks. Have re-entered what I think was the original folder for Calibre library but to no effect. I the entered that folder and path in the "start in" section of the properties tag of the shortcut. which is my interpretation of your combined suggestions. Was I right because this didn't work either? Other than re-formatting the drive is there any other way I can correct my earlier errors & get Calibre working again?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybob View Post
Thanks to Pilotbob and Theducks. Have re-entered what I think was the original folder for Calibre library but to no effect. I the entered that folder and path in the "start in" section of the properties tag of the shortcut. which is my interpretation of your combined suggestions. Was I right because this didn't work either? Other than re-formatting the drive is there any other way I can correct my earlier errors & get Calibre working again?
Nope... the start in path is only what Windows is going to set as the current directory before it runs that app.

If you want to put it in the shortcut properties you would put in the target line after the name of the exe... sort of like:

c:\Path\To\Calibre.exe --with-library c:\Path\to\Library

That would be the equivalent of doing it on the command line.

After you do this and it works... you can always reedit that shortcut and take it out.

BOb