Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane

Just finished reading "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane on my Kindle.

I had never seen the movie, so was coming to it fresh.

And it's soooo good! I highly recommend it!

In fact, I think it's the first book I've actually read almost uninterruptedly, on my Kindle, from start to finish, without switching back to my Home screen or checking my blogs. (Well, except that fascinating Mobileread blog, which I can't resist! )

I just got really into it and had to find out what happened!

So from me, and I'm gonna go see if there are any other books by this author available in ebook format!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I just checked my local library and the following titles by Dennis Lehane are available as ebooks:

Mystic River
Darkness, Take My Hand
The Given Day
Shutter Island
Coronado
Gone, Baby, Gone (made into a movie)
Prayers for Rain
Sacred
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I just checked my local library and the following titles by Dennis Lehane are available as ebooks:

Mystic River
Darkness, Take My Hand
The Given Day
Shutter Island
Coronado
Gone, Baby, Gone (made into a movie)
Prayers for Rain
Sacred
These 5 are a series. And all are very good. Think the 1st 2 won awards.

1. A Drink before the War (1994)
2. Darkness, Take My Hand (1996)
3. Sacred (1997)
4. Gone, Baby, Gone (1998)
5. Prayers for Rain (1999)
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Good to know. I had put the author on my to-read list. I prefer to read a series in order.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I just love Dennis Lehane. Enjoyed the mystery series and was disappointed when he stopped writing it. Gave Mystic River and Shutter Island to anyone who stood still long enough.

Couldn't get into the Coronado stories (it's a collection of short stories), and haven't read The Given Day yet (it's historical fiction and I'm intimidated by the size of it!)

I would definitely second, third, fourth or more this recommendation.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 04-05-2009 at 08:50 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
for those who have seen the movie and read the book, is the book different enough to bother? Not sure, after seeing the movie and knowing the outcome, if it would be mesmerizing enough.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a tough call. I almost always prefer the book to the movie, and I for one hated the movie of Mystic River.

I think there was a lot of emotional depth in Jimmie and Dave that you just didn't see in the movie. If you read for characterization, the book is definitely worth the time, even having seen the end.

If on the other hand, you read for the mystery...well, I don't know how much you'd like all the internal angst.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks. I actually read for both, but knowing the mystery would detract about1/2 the enjoyment and with so little time to read and so many other books out there, I better move on. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
FizzyWater

Have you read Shutter Island yet? Another Lehane mystery, and the movie hasn't come out yet.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Mrgauth
Addict

I actually held it in my hand and perused it, but put it back unsure. Better hurry before the movie comes out huh?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
FizzyWater

It's a different kind of mystery than Mystic River - but I know of two people (myself being one) who read it, and immediately re-read it to find all the hints they missed the first time! It's a puzzler kind of a mystery.

You could always hit the library...mine even has it in ebook format.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
for those who have seen the movie and read the book, is the book different enough to bother? Not sure, after seeing the movie and knowing the outcome, if it would be mesmerizing enough.
I'm sure there are some others but the only movie I remember ever seeing that was as good as the book was Lonesome Dove (book by Larry McMurtry and I mean the mini-series with Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall, Angelica Huston and bunch of other great actors, not the tv series or those followup movies)

So far the Lehane stuff I've both seen and read, the books are better, Gone Baby Gone from the mystery series and Mystic River. So I'd watch the movie first for maximum movie pleasure. Book still worth reading.

Last edited by wayspooled; 04-11-2009 at 10:34 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote