Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #106
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And one other thing: I didn't call anyone a liar, and I don't appreciate that you attempted to smear me in this way.
It's rather odd for you to take exception to Taming's politely worded post and then to do exactly the same thing to which you yourself took exception. Taming wasn't suggesting that you made accusations intentionally, but you have in fact accused her of intentionally trying to smear your good name.

Intentionally or not (and it would be presumptuous of me to guess which), your tendency in the past two pages has been to ramp up the tone to the point of near incivility, which tends to ramp up everyone else's tone against you. That can't be fun.

In the interests of dialing it down, I'd like to ask you a low-key question and perhaps keep the thread on point:

I understand that the back of the Aura is different from that of other models. But does it really echo the design of previous Nook models? Other than its being smooth, why exactly do you see the Aura's back as an aspect of the Nook's design? And if Kobo had to rush the non-Koboesque design into production, how does that explain the form-fitting accessories which seem to have involved a good deal of planning?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-19-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #107
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I understand that the back of the Aura is different from that of other models. But does it really echo the design of previous Nook models? Other than its being smooth, why exactly do you see the Aura's back as an aspect of the Nook's design? And if Kobo had to rush the non-Koboesque design into production, how does that explain the form-fitting accessories which seem to have involved a good deal of planning?
I did not write anything even close to this. I didn't say this was a Nook design nor did I say that this even faintly resembled a Nook design.
Advert
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #108
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not write anything even close to this. I didn't say this was a Nook design nor did I say that this even faintly resembled a Nook design.
My understanding was that you felt the back of the Aura was not characteristic of Kobo's style of design -- if I've misunderstood you, then you have my apologies.

Whose style of design do you feel the back of the Aura reflects, and why, in your opinion, did Kobo make the decision to create such a unique shape (never mind the smooth texture)?

These are not intended to be trick questions, by the way. They are innocent.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #109
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Now that I have the Aura HD in hand I think the rumor is true.
Psychometry, as good an explanation as everything else he's offered.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #110
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
And if Kobo had to rush the non-Koboesque design into production, how does that explain the form-fitting accessories which seem to have involved a good deal of planning?
I didn't have any info to answer this, so I asked a case maker how long it would take them to get a new case out for a brand new device. Soft cases (like a leather zip case) can be designed and in production in only a few days. Hard cases can take 30 to 60 days 60 to 90 days.

I know of 2 cases for the Kobo Aura HD. One is the integrated sleepcover, and that was probably designed at the same time as the shell (hence the word integrated). The other is a soft leather case which didn't take very long to get into production.

Did I miss an accessory?

Last edited by Nate the great; 05-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #111
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nate, since a Kobo director's assertion that this device was under development for a year did not satisfactorily speak to your concern, perhaps you could use a contact with eInk or B&N to settle this.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #112
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nate, since a Kobo director's assertion that this device was under development for a year did not satisfactorily speak to your concern, perhaps you could use a contact with eInk or B&N to settle this.
Why don't you? You care far more than I do about what an authority says, so you should go ask them.

And I do have a statement and a non-denial from E-ink. The official statement is no comment, and the non-denial comes from a source who has been honest about explanations of E-ink's production details in the past (or rather what E-ink was not making). That source hasn't denied this rumor, not even in some vague way.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #113
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Even if you would or could ask a relevant person within Kobo, Barnes or eInk, no one will ever tell you what happened. Kobo will never admit rushing or rebranding the reader, even if they did, Barnes won't admit not taking those screens and botching the contract, and eInk won't admit having been stood up by Barnes even if that really happened.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #114
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Why don't you? You care far more than I do about what an authority says, so you should go ask them.
I care only because it seems to me that speculation that is worth two blog posts and multiple posts on MR is always better, IMO, when it is grounded in actual proof or documentation. I'm not seeing that here.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #115
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
I didn't have any info to answer this, so I asked a case maker. . . . I know of 2 cases for the Kobo Aura HD. . . . Did I miss an accessory?
Nate:

I won't ask which case-maker you polled -- since you'd have told us if it had been any of our business -- but I'd love to know what sort of cases are made by the person you contacted and whether said cases are manufactured in bulk.

And, no, you didn't miss any accessory that I happened to be talking about. Thanks for doing the research.

However, I'm still not convinced that what might be possible is therefore true. A lot of companies make missteps when initiating a new kind of product. Why should Kobo be different?

I remain skeptical of the idea that sudden haste had anything to do with the smooth back of the Aura, flaws in the Aura's screen filter, freezes and lockups, etc.

What seems especially unusual about the entire launch is the idea of launching any major product as a kind of experiment. One gets the sense Kobo is testing the Aura and will either kill it or release it in a more polished form (and possibly under a slightly different name).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-21-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #116
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice

ALL members are reminded that posts at MobileRead should be polite, that deliberately provoking other members is prohibited, and that arguments should be with the opinion, not the person.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread