Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Creamed chipped beef on toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You caught me skimming and not paying a lot of attention.
Actually what occurred to me was a chain of cafeterias from back in the past that had the best string beans that anyone could make. Probably unhealthy with the bacon, butter and salt put in them.

S&S Cafeteria.

My wife and I ate dinner (lunch in the South) at an S&S Cafeteria on the first day of our Honeymoon.
I'm somewhat surprised a cafeteria would call itself S&S. I remember a certain breakfast delicacy we used to call "S&S" back in the day. I'd explain that, but then I'd have to ban myself for violating our "family-friendly/work-safe" posting rules.

Oh, wait. That was "SOS". Never mind!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-12-2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: formatting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm somewhat surprised a cafeteria would call itself S&S. I remember a certain breakfast delicacy we used to call "S&S" back in the day. I'd explain that, but then I'd have to ban myself for violating our "family-friendly/work-safe" posting rules.

Oh, wait. That was "SOS". Never mind!
I remember it as being SOAS
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Definitely SOS. There was an "a" in the spelled-out version, though, but not in the acronym.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Definitely SOS. There was an "a" in the spelled-out version, though, but not in the acronym.
Hmmm, the way it was said in our family didn't include any "a" words. Although, could be the difference between using "shingle" (needing the "a") or "shingles", which is what my family said.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Yes, I remember those days. Seems long ago.

One of my Sgt Major's favorite expressions was "This man's Army'" Generally it came out as "Not in this man's Army" to express dislike or disdain for some action or event that he would not countenance.

SOS was another Army expression.

It was S (creamed chipped beef) On a Shingle (toast). SOS.

Of course the S as a word is the problem here in politer society.

SOS wasn't that bad if well made. If the creamed chipped beef had been heated too much (burnt), it tasted like that S word.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Creamed chipped beef on toast

Wow. A moderator sure derailed this thread! I suppose we'd better get back to the topic of Simon & Schuster Price Cuts at Amazon.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I know, I keep clicking in here hoping for S&S price cuts and instead I get... SOS!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Oh, man, I loved that stuff as a kid! Now I want some!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
For many the first time they encountered this delicacy of Haute cuisine, was in the military. Loved it, learned how to make it and now it is a regular part of the diet here! Good way to wipe out a loaf of bread in a hurry.

Sorry for another "Kink" in the threads topic.

Edit: For those bakers that make their own "sourdough" bread, sos on sourdough toast is a dining experience not to pass up!

Last edited by DustyDisks; 10-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I too used to love it. My mother used to make it when I was a kid.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The topic is now creamed chipped beef on toast. And I must admit, I do kind of like it.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I haven't had creamed chipped beef on toast since I was young, at least as far back as high school. It's been that long since tuna & potato chip casserole or shepherd's pie as well. Or Welsh rarebit, that we always called Welsh rabbit.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The topic is now creamed chipped beef on toast. And I must admit, I do kind of like it.
It was fine if not overcooked, but you won't catch this old salt in the re-up line for it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I recall SOS as being the worst tasting hamburger possible creamed and served on toast, the only way to make it palatable was to have as runny as possible eggs on top and then slather it with "Louisiana Hot Sauce", 'cause gawd knows that tabasco was never in the mess hall! I'd'a been happy as a pig in sh*t if there had been the SOS with the dried beef! that's WAY too expensive for the Army to cook up in batches like that!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
My parents we children during the depression and some of those depression era recipes became their favorites. SOS was about the only one I liked and still enjoy. (We actually had it last week.) Fried mush was ok, but eggs and spaghetti were right out.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote