Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Lifespan of the Kindle

I'm interested to hear how long I can expect my Kindle to keep working for if it's treated well? Has anyone had their Kindle for a long time and it still works as well as it did on day one? Has anyone had their Kindle die on them after only a short time? Have Amazon said anything on how long a Kindle should work for? Thanks.
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
My mom still uses her Kindle 1 which she bought at release. I've seen more than a few others here who still use the original as well. Of the people I know with Kindles of any generation, I've never heard of one dying without some sort of physical trauma. Then again, it hasn't been very long in existence as a product.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I wouldn't worry to much about it. If your Kindle ever breaks, even years down the road, it's more likely than not that Amazon will replace it for free. They even replace them free when users break them. Amazon rocks!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
The e-Ink display technology might have an expected lifespan but I'm guessing it's many years.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
That is a good question. I imagine it should hold up well for yrs with careful use. Most of the problems I've seen talked about here have to do with cracked screens or units that have been dropped onto a hard surface.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My K2 is still working as perfectly as it did when I received it in Feb '09, and my K3 from Aug '10 is also in fine condition.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
My K2 is still working as perfectly as it did when I received it in Feb '09, and my K3 from Aug '10 is also in fine condition.
Same, and while it's not a Kindle my Sony 505 from '07 still works perfectly too although my nine year old nephew uses it now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The limiting factor is the battery; this will gradually lose its ability to hold charge over time. After 3 or 4 years it might have lost 30-50% of it's original capacity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My K1 still worked fine when I stored it away. I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade but the pearl screen on the K3 was just too nice to pass up.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Livingston View Post
Has anyone had their Kindle for a long time and it still works as well as it did on day one?
I still have my Sony PRS-500 in working condition. Sony PRS-500 came out long before Kindle 1.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I still have my Sony PRS-500 in working condition. Sony PRS-500 came out long before Kindle 1.
But what's the battery life like now? I suspect it's not terribly good! As I said above, it's the finite lifespan of a lithium ion battery that's the limiting factor with all these devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 AM   #12
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
Great to hear that most people are having a good experience with the Kindle's longevity. So what's the lifespan of the battery and is it easily replacable?
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
These batteries start to die from the date of manufacture and the number of charge cycles doesn't have much impact; they will get about 3-4 years. Amazon currently says they will replace your battery (although I would guess it is actually a swap for a different Kindle) for about $70. This site has a replacement battery for $30 including a tool to get the back off. Given the vast user base of Kindle, I would assume that there will be batteries around for a while.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The limiting factor is the battery; this will gradually lose its ability to hold charge over time. After 3 or 4 years it might have lost 30-50% of it's original capacity.
Batteries are replaceable. Amazon will do it for free during warranty, or at a somewhat inflated cost outside the warranty. Or you can buy a kit from a third party to do it. Certainly by the time you need to replace a battery, preserving your warranty won't be an issue.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm at two+ years on my K2US with no noticeable signs of degradation (battery or otherwise). I'm sure it will puke eventually, but I'll try to replace the battery before I upgrade... because: A) I spent $359 on it and need to get more use out of it. B) I've used my father's K3 and don't really like the form-factor as well.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote