Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #211
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
OOPS... I *USE* Georgia!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #212
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Instead of constantly re-designing the user interface according to some sort of internal logic, Kobo should put up a poll listing all the features (or maybe showing them graphically) and ask people to vote on which ones they like most.
Kobo should have a group of actual Kobo users that try out the software before it is released to everyone. They can provide feedback on things like what they like and don't like about the user interface and find common bugs and the like. They would be unpaid volunteers that the rest of the user community benefits from. We could call this group "beta testers". [/sarcasm]
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #213
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
In wonder why the progress bar was removed - it was a nice feature. And other working and nice features where removed, too, like the "favorites hearts" or the option to swipe down to open the menu...
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #214
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
In wonder why the progress bar was removed - it was a nice feature. And other working and nice features where removed, too, like the "favorites hearts" or the option to swipe down to open the menu...
Strange decisions indeed ... especially since taking the stuff out most likely required more programming efforts than just leaving it in there.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #215
RangoX
RangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBook69 View Post
Testing 2.1.4 then downgrade to 1.9.17+plugin:
- progress bar vanished ! (why remove this feature? it work and should be enhanced not removed)
- whishlist is really a bad thing if I couldn't remove it in parameters
- page number at bottom still not in parameters
Plugin? There are plug-ins for kobo touch??
RangoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #216
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There were some plugins developped for firmware 1.9.17
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #217
dsgweb
dsgweb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo plugin.

I had problems installing 2.1.4 but after factory reset and an update by desktop is working fine.
For those who wants to try 1.9.1.7 with the plugin here is the link:
https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins/wiki/Kobo-Tweaks
dsgweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #218
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Instead of constantly re-designing the user interface according to some sort of internal logic, Kobo should put up a poll listing all the features (or maybe showing them graphically) and ask people to vote on which ones they like most.
I agree.
How difficult can it be to display the embedded metadata of a book? All the info is available in the content.opf. This "content summary" should be directly accessible from the library, shelves, reading stats and while reading.
I would be happy if it just shows some basic book meta data fields (but more is better) like: a small cover, book title, book author, publisher, description, language, subject, book series, ISBN.

Even this early 2010 device could do this. This is just a generic device (a complete hardware solution of Qisda Corporation, ES600 and ES900) sold under different brand names around the world. And its also running on Linux.

So Kobo, please take a look at how its done and add something similar to the Kobo firmware.

Edit: basicly its similar to the information shown when selecting "Discover (books)" on the home screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_1-0000438-679 (1).jpg
Views:	261
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	93779  

Last edited by Anak; 10-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #219
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBook69 View Post
Testing 2.1.4 then downgrade to 1.9.17+plugin:
- whishlist is really a bad thing if I couldn't remove it in parameters
New alpha release of plugin for 2.1.4 is available.

See here for more details:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193377
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #220
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Wouldn't t make sense to wait for 2.1.4 to stabilize before mucking around with hacking it?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #221
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Wouldn't t make sense to wait for 2.1.4 to stabilize before mucking around with hacking it?
I know what you mean , and I am quite disappointed to hear about major issues with it - even though I haven't experienced them myself.

Then again, 2.1.4 is hardly a version number early in the series (like 2.0) and the lead up to it being released was touting it as being SO well tested and ready for prime time etc etc (a lot of us used 2.1.1 for quite a while) that I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for fixes - so, might as well go and hack it
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #222
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Wed morn in Aus and still no update for me. :/
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #223
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Wed morn in Aus and still no update for me. :/
Hmmm, it's getting to the point where we need reassurance from Kobo. Mine updated late last week. Could they have halted it due to the restart problems some people are having?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #224
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Has anyone in Australia managed to "officially" update to 2.1.4?
I'm in Australia but purchased my Kobo through Borders in the US. I manually upgraded to 2.1.1 back in August and it's working fine. I believe if it's not broken I shouldn't try to fix it but I would like to do a factory reset (due to the large number of books I have added/deleted/assigned to shelves/removed from shelves etc) and completely reorganise my library on the Kobo.
I don't know what firmware I would end up with?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #225
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Has anyone in Australia managed to "officially" update to 2.1.4?
I'm in Australia but purchased my Kobo through Borders in the US. I manually upgraded to 2.1.1 back in August and it's working fine. I believe if it's not broken I shouldn't try to fix it but I would like to do a factory reset (due to the large number of books I have added/deleted/assigned to shelves/removed from shelves etc) and completely reorganise my library on the Kobo.
I don't know what firmware I would end up with?
Yes. I purchased from JB HiFi. I manually updated to 2.1.1 and the official 2.1.4 came through just fine via WiFi.