Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
MarniLynn
Misty
MarniLynn began at the beginning.

Device: WiFi Kobo
Question re ebook formats

I am thinking of buying a Kindle, hopefully the new paperwhite.

Are .mobi books the only format it uses (no .epub?)? And will I be able to use Calibre to put books that I already have onto the device?

Thank-you
MarniLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The new Paperwhite Kindle will not work with epub, the formats it can use are .txt, .pdf, .mobi, .prc, and the various azw Amazon formats.

If the epub books you've got don't have DRM protection, then yes, you can convert them to mobi or azw3 (the new KF8 format for Amazon) with calibre and put them on a new paperwhite. If the epub books you've got do have DRM (ie. Adobe DRM if you've downloaded books from Kobo), then you'll need to get the third party tools from Apprentice Alf to take care of that before you can convert the format.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
^^ and you should know if not already, that removing DRM is considered illegal.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
^^ and you should know if not already, that removing DRM is considered illegal.
The laws are different in different countries, so that blanket statement is not true.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The laws are different in different countries, so that blanket statement is not true.
Thank you, you saved me a post. So far as I am aware no one has ever been prosecuted or sued for removing DRM for private use.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Dredging up this thread to ask about a situation I encountered recently ... bought a couple of AZW3 (KF8?) books on my Amazon account, added them to Calibre (via Alf), then tried uploading those to my folks' Kindle; the device wouldn't recognize them at all. I ended up converting the AZW3 to Mobi, which worked. What am I missing here?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
This happened to me when I put a book on my husband's kindle. Make sure you have the latest system update, that should fix the problem.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Depending on the Kindle. If they have a K1 or K2, it will never recognize azw3.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Dredging up this thread to ask about a situation I encountered recently ... bought a couple of AZW3 (KF8?) books on my Amazon account, added them to Calibre (via Alf), then tried uploading those to my folks' Kindle; the device wouldn't recognize them at all. I ended up converting the AZW3 to Mobi, which worked. What am I missing here?
What model Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe they have a K3 (I use Sonys myself), the one with free Wifi for everything, not just the Kindle store? Following Becca's advice, I checked with Alf, and it seems an updated Kindle plugin had come out since I'd last uploaded one.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
updating Alf's tools helps, but make sure the system on your Kindle is current, as well. I think that there were updates pushed through to allow kindles to read K8 (azw3) books.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
updating Alf's tools helps, but make sure the system on your Kindle is current, as well. I think that there were updates pushed through to allow kindles to read K8 (azw3) books.
Well, having recently purchased a Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi refurb unit for testing epub conversions, yes, there is an update. It is numbered 3.4. Has to be downloaded, sideloaded to the device and then installed, but this is no biggie. Did surprise me that Amazon didn't offer the update over the air.

Once done, the device will happily read K8 (azw3).
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Well, having recently purchased a Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi refurb unit for testing epub conversions, yes, there is an update. It is numbered 3.4. Has to be downloaded, sideloaded to the device and then installed, but this is no biggie. Did surprise me that Amazon didn't offer the update over the air.

Once done, the device will happily read K8 (azw3).
They did offer the update over the air, but over the course of several months. You won't necessarily get it instantly. The format, it should be noted, is called "KF8", not "K8".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

That sounds like it's probably the issue! My non-techie mom would NEVER think to do that on her own! I'll upgrade her device when I visit in a couple of months; she has plenty to read in the meanwhile.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They did offer the update over the air, but over the course of several months. You won't necessarily get it instantly. The format, it should be noted, is called "KF8", not "K8".
Given that I only got the device for testing stuff, waiting months was not my preferred option. Good to know they do offer updates over the air. One couldn't know from the device itself.

Yeah, I slipped on the format, I do know it is KF8.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote