Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, Overdrive does support Mobipocket eBooks. It's just that most libraries have switched from Mobipocket and gone to ePub. But the Mobipocket eBooks they've purchased before going ePub are still available (for the libraries who had eBooks before ePub).
I was going off an OverDrive FAQ.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Chicken Little" keeps popping into my mind when I read JSWolf's posts for some reason.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Chicken Little" keeps popping into my mind when I read JSWolf's posts for some reason.

karma!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
That's great news. This is one of the primary capabilities missing from the Kindle. Now if there was only a color version of the Kindle...
They do, it's called the iPad2 (with the Kindle app).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
"Anything you can do, I can do better..."

(Persistent whispersync annotations for library books=I'll see your feature and raise you one.")

About the size of the library pool, there are several possibilities.
Considering they're using a Kindle app to get to the books, not ADE on a PC, it is not impossible that they might do on-the-fly format conversion; Overdrive server to Amazon server to Kindle. Or maybe they could check out the epub/pdf license and serve an equivalent mobi book. Or maybe overdrive will serve epubs with kindle drm to a secret epub reader on the kindle. Or maybe Amazon will pay for a pool of mobi books to be fronted by the libraries. Lots of ways to slice that loaf..

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the plumbing and what effect adding a few million more library-capable readers to the lending pool does to the waiting times.

I'm thinking this might neuter the competitive/bragging value of library ebook access in *two* ways; by matching the availability of the feature and simultaneously making the feature less valuable by increasing the wait times. In other words, this might fall under the heading of "Be careful what you ask for; you might get it."
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #51
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
As I understood the press release, they are going to create a new "Kindle" format for Overdrive. This will not be the current Mobi format. (Am I understanding that right?)

I had a terrible thought. Not only is this going to create more fragmenting and require libraries to spend money on another license for every book, but probably Amazon is going to get paid for every Kindle license that is sold to a library via Overdrive? Yuck.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #52
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gee I wonder why. (giggles)

Maybe the sky is falling, some of the smaller epub readers are going to be hurt by this. Which is exactly why Amazon is doing this. They know that they are losing perspective Kindle owners who want to use the library. They have probably realized that they are losing enough to make it worth their while to figureo ut how to get Kindle books into the library.

I am sure that there are folks who will still prefer the Nook and the Sony. I know that there are people who strongly prefer a touchscreen and really don't like the keyboard on the Kindle who will still buy those devices. I know that there are folks who want nothing to do with WiFi or 3G connectivity. I know that there are people who prefer the 5 inch screen of the 305 for portability purposes.

The Nook Color should be fine, the color screen and ability to root it and turn it into a less expensive tablet will continue to serve folks.

I think Kobo is sunk in the US. The pricing on it is too high for what it does; especially now that there is a $114 Kindle (yes with ads) that can be used at the library. (Is that the proper use of a semi colan? Please PM me if it is not.)

The Nook Classic is in trouble. Someone is really going to have to want that LCD touchscreen strip to choose a similarly priced Nook Classic over the Kindle.

Sony could be interesting. Sony has a very devoted following. Most of the Sony fans seem to strongly prefer the lack of WiFi/3G and the metal casing and the lack of a keyboard and the touchscreen. But a new user is likely going to find it that much harder to justify paying the prices Sony asks now that library usage is available to all ereaders regardless of format.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #53
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Right now, does Adobe get paid for every epub/ADE license that is sold to a library?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

They do, it's called the iPad2 (with the Kindle app).

BOb
Or a (rooted) NookColor...
...or any WebOS, iOS, android, WP7, or Blackberry webpad, tablet, or smartphone...

The press release did say the feature is coming to all Kindle readers *and* apps.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Right now, does Adobe get paid for every epub/ADE license that is sold to a library?

eP
I'm not sure if it is "by the title" or how it works. But, anyone using Adobe DRM is paying licensing fees to Adobe in some way, yes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I was going off an OverDrive FAQ.
What you read was the FAQ for the Overdrive media console. It's the console that does not support Mobipocket eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
"Anything you can do, I can do better..."

(Persistent whispersync annotations for library books=I'll see your feature and raise you one.")

About the size of the library pool, there are several possibilities.
Considering they're using a Kindle app to get to the books, not ADE on a PC, it is not impossible that they might do on-the-fly format conversion; Overdrive server to Amazon server to Kindle. Or maybe they could check out the epub/pdf license and serve an equivalent mobi book. Or maybe overdrive will serve epubs with kindle drm to a secret epub reader on the kindle. Or maybe Amazon will pay for a pool of mobi books to be fronted by the libraries. Lots of ways to slice that loaf..

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the plumbing and what effect adding a few million more library-capable readers to the lending pool does to the waiting times.
I highly doubt Adobe would allow Amazon to strip the DRM from the ePub to convert for use on a Kindle.

Quote:
I'm thinking this might neuter the competitive/bragging value of library ebook access in *two* ways; by matching the availability of the feature and simultaneously making the feature less valuable by increasing the wait times. In other words, this might fall under the heading of "Be careful what you ask for; you might get it."
I think you very well may be correct here. The wait times could very well increase a lot. We'll just have to wait and see how the libraries handle this with the limited budget they have for eBooks.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
As I understood the press release, they are going to create a new "Kindle" format for Overdrive. This will not be the current Mobi format. (Am I understanding that right?)

I had a terrible thought. Not only is this going to create more fragmenting and require libraries to spend money on another license for every book, but probably Amazon is going to get paid for every Kindle license that is sold to a library via Overdrive? Yuck.

eP
The way I read it is that Amazon is going to give Overdrive access to their Kindle DRM servers. What I wonder is will the existing Mobipocket eBooks be able to be used as Kindle eBooks with this new DRM server access given that Amazon owns Mobipocket?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #59
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
"Considering they're using a Kindle app to get to the books, not ADE on a PC, it is not impossible that they might do on-the-fly format conversion; Overdrive server to Amazon server to Kindle. Or maybe they could check out the epub/pdf license and serve an equivalent mobi book. Or maybe overdrive will serve epubs with kindle drm to a secret epub reader on the kindle. Or maybe Amazon will pay for a pool of mobi books to be fronted by the libraries. Lots of ways to slice that loaf..
I'm super-curious about that part myself, especially as the news release specifically uses the term "Kindle books" throughout ...
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #60
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
According to Library Journal (http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp) library's won't need to purchase additional ebooks - ebooks they already own will be available for kindle download.

Quote:
The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries-including schools, colleges and public libraries-will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote