Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Any reason NOT to buy a 3g+wifi

Someone wants to sell me a nook 3G+wifi for $100. It works fine and seems to be in good shape.

Is there any reason not to buy it? I was thinking of buying a new wifi but if the 3g+wifi is OK I might buy it and save myself $50.

Thanks
mickeyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
mickeyfinn
Banned
mickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enoughmickeyfinn will become famous soon enough

Looks like there is no reason NOT to buy one.

Is there absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the nook Wi-Fi and the nook 3G+wi-fi?

I understand that the 3G on this nook only allows you to go the B&N store and nowhere else so it's pretty useless.

Can the 3G function be turned off or does it stay on and drain the battery?

Will someone please talk to me about the 3G/WiFi nook.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The worry some aspect of this transaction is why is the nook being re-sold in the first place, is there something wrong with the unit? If that's the case you would want some sort of protection against that, will the seller warrant the unit for one year, which is standard. Is it being sold because the seller wants out of electronic books? Is it being sold because the seller wants out of Barns and Nobles implementation? I would be concerned why its being sold and will the seller warrant that unit for one year. For an additional $75 you can get the warranty and do a burn in - really run the unit through its paces and see if you can make it fail.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
mickeyfinn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The worry some aspect of this transaction is why is the nook being re-sold in the first place, is there something wrong with the unit? If that's the case you would want some sort of protection against that, will the seller warrant the unit for one year, which is standard. Is it being sold because the seller wants out of electronic books? Is it being sold because the seller wants out of Barns and Nobles implementation? I would be concerned why its being sold and will the seller warrant that unit for one year. For an additional $75 you can get the warranty and do a burn in - really run the unit through its paces and see if you can make it fail.
OK, thank you for the advice. Now, same question but pretend we're talking about buying brand new.

All I want to know is if there is Any reason NOT to buy a nook 3g+wifi, forget about the used aspect.

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
PrincessV
PrincessV is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 650, Nook 1st Edition, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
OK, thank you for the advice. Now, same question but pretend we're talking about buying brand new.

All I want to know is if there is Any reason NOT to buy a nook 3g+wifi, forget about the used aspect.

Thank you.
If the Nook 3G+WIFI is new and all things are legit, there's no reason not to buy it. It's a good deal. the 3G will give you the ability to buy/download ebooks at anytime & anywhere. (You're at the park & just finish the 2nd book in a sequel and you're ready for the 3rd book, 3G will let you do that). With the WIFI you'll need to be at an AT&T WIFI Hotspot.

Copied & pasted from B&N's website:
"Get Free Wi-Fi®

NOOK connects via any Wi-Fi® network, including fast and free access at all Barnes & Noble stores and more than 20 thousand AT&T® hotspots, like hotels, restaurants and more. Or choose NOOK 3G and get anytime, anywhere access with no monthly fees."

Hope this helps!
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The only reason to not buy a Nook is:

1) You don't want to be tied to Barns and Nobles;
2) You want foreign language dictionaries;
3) Can see yourself with an extraordinarily large electronic book library;
4) you want to pay less then the cost of a Nook
5) You have a smart phone (such as a blackberry or an iphone) and you want to read on that; the readers here cost $0.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against nooks, its just that they are not for everyone, which one you buy depends on what you want in terms of a reader.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The only reason to not buy a Nook is:

1) You don't want to be tied to Barns and Nobles;
You don't have to be tied to B&N if you don't want to be. You can get epubs from anywhere and it can be read on the Nook.

Quote:
3) Can see yourself with an extraordinarily large electronic book library;
I'm not sure why this would be an issue since it comes with over 1GB of internal memory as well as a SD card slot to increase memory. If you manage to use up the internal space plus all the space on the expandable memory on the Nook, I don't think another e-reader will be any better in that regard.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfinn View Post
Looks like there is no reason NOT to buy one.

Is there absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the nook Wi-Fi and the nook 3G+wi-fi?

I understand that the 3G on this nook only allows you to go the B&N store and nowhere else so it's pretty useless.
It's useful if you want to buy books from B&N, or download them when out and about, or sync your B&N content with another device, say, on a bus commute, or any other trip. Because I do that quite a bit. The other networking things are wifi only, but, frankly, on the nook classic, the only networking thing worth using is the ability to shop at B&N and syncing. Its e-ink web browser is horrid. And the wifi does not hook up ANYWHERE you need to sign in as guest and accept terms, it needs to be one of those AT&T hotspots, at B&N, or password-free ones (you can register home wifi networks with a WIP or equivalent key, though).

Quote:
Can the 3G function be turned off or does it stay on and drain the battery?
If you put it in airplane mode it turns off. I think it may actually turn off when you turn off the wifi. But it doesn't remain connected all the time even when it's "on." It appears to check the network periodically but if it doesn't find anything to do, it stops. You can also make it connect by hitting "shop" or "check for new B&N content" etc.

Quote:
Will someone please talk to me about the 3G/WiFi nook.
If it has a warranty / guarantee to work, it is a good deal. I have the 3G/WiFi and I use the 3G a lot. Whether you use the 3G much probably depends on your travel patterns.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Assuming that it's in good enough condition to warrant buying for $100 - yes. Battery life will be slightly lower than the straight Wi-Fi but that's your only trade-off.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
merlin5353
Trying to sort it out...
merlin5353 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook classic, Eee PC
Just bought a refurb'd WiFi/3g for $105 with a 90 day warranty. Works very well (for my wife). You can get refurb'd WiFi for under $100 any day.
merlin5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin5353 View Post
Just bought a refurb'd WiFi/3g for $105 with a 90 day warranty. Works very well (for my wife). You can get refurb'd WiFi for under $100 any day.
Correct. Saw them on Overstock.com for $89.00
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
...... And the wifi does not hook up ANYWHERE you need to sign in as guest and accept terms, it needs to be one of those AT&T hotspots, at B&N, or password-free ones (you can register home wifi networks with a WIP or equivalent key, though).
That is not true. I recently stayed at a Comfort Inn with my Nook classic. The hotel wi-fi made you sign in with a logon and password before you could access the internet. I was able to get the Nook to go online by using its web browser, which automatically went to the hotel's login screen. Once I logged on, I was online, and actually downloaded a couple books while i was there.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
That is not true. I recently stayed at a Comfort Inn with my Nook classic. The hotel wi-fi made you sign in with a logon and password before you could access the internet. I was able to get the Nook to go online by using its web browser, which automatically went to the hotel's login screen. Once I logged on, I was online, and actually downloaded a couple books while i was there.

Vic
That's good to know. The original documentation said you couldn't do that, so I guess that was pre-browser and I suppose that means that that stupid e-ink browser is actually good for something
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote