Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
historyb
historyb began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Wireless
Palm Pilot

Hi,

I'm new here. I have a question and I did a search, but I didn't find anything. I have an opportunity to get a Palm Pilot 1st Gen and I was wonder if anyone knew if it would read e-books?

Thank you

Here is a Picture of it:

Last edited by historyb; 01-22-2008 at 10:59 PM.
historyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Caveat emptor.

Yes, it will work.

It looks like you may have to use the original DocReader (http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/docreader.shtml), but if by any chance this device has been upgraded to OS 2.0, I'd recommend CSpotRun (http://www.32768.com/bill/palmos/cspotrun/).

Whatever you do, I hope you're not paying much more than $5 for this Palm. A Palm III, which will have four times the memory and a backlight, as well as run better readers like TealDoc and iSilo, will run ~$10 on eBay.

Also, if you don't have a computer with an old-fashioned serial port, you'll have to buy a separate USB adapter (another $20) to get files onto the device, in which case you might be better off looking for a first or second-generation Handspring Visor (just a little more expensive than a Palm III, but shipped with USB).

Good luck!

Curt

Last edited by curtw; 01-22-2008 at 11:43 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'd agree with curtw's assessment, it'll run some form of reading application, though you might have some issues getting one that will fit in its rather limited memory (and still leave any space for books). That's a Gen 2, BTW, just to pick nits -- the Gen 1's were called simply "Pilot" rather than "PalmPilot." The name changed when 3Com bought them from US Robotics.

Here's a pic of a 1st Gen:

Wow, that brings back memories ....

That model probably has 1 MB of memory, at a guess, either that or 512kB for that model. I'd say $5 is probably about right these days, unless you're trying to find a pristine specimen for your own personal museum or something.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for clearing that up, NatCh! I knew that the original Pilot was only 512K, but I could have sworn that I had seen CSpotRun working on one that looked identical to the posted photo. What a test of long-term memory that was!

If I were in the market today for a monochrome Palm OS device for e-book reading, I would probably look for either a Handera 330 (first semi-high-res screen, 'virtual' graffiti area, SD or CF for storage) or a Sony S320 (VERY readable display, fits in a shirt pocket, Memory Stick for storage)
Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it was interesting to someone besides me, curtw!

Somewhere I still have my original Pilot 5000, shattered screen and all (I broke it while on a business trip to South Portland Maine in March of '98, about 20 minutes before I upgraded to a PalmPilot Professional). I plan to keep it for posterity, as long as I can keep finding good places to hide "posterity's" things from the wife, that is.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
historyb

Thank you all for your answers. The one in the picture was a demo model and it was put up for 19.00, went to ebay and found a palm 3 for 12. Placed a bid on it now I found others, hope I get out bid.

Edit: I hope I don't get outbid now

Last edited by historyb; 01-23-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Good for you! I hope it goes well for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
historyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'd agree with curtw's assessment, it'll run some form of reading application, though you might have some issues getting one that will fit in its rather limited memory (and still leave any space for books). That's a Gen 2, BTW, just to pick nits -- the Gen 1's were called simply "Pilot" rather than "PalmPilot." The name changed when 3Com bought them from US Robotics.

Here's a pic of a 1st Gen:

Wow, that brings back memories ....

That model probably has 1 MB of memory, at a guess, either that or 512kB for that model. I'd say $5 is probably about right these days, unless you're trying to find a pristine specimen for your own personal museum or something.
Thank you, on gizmo's site where there selling it, they have it under first gen. I emailed them and they said they don't know much about it they just drop ship it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
<snip>I plan to keep it for posterity, as long as I can keep finding good places to hide "posterity's" things from the wife, that is.
that's what attics are for. I've got my old faithful NAD cassette deck, a 16mm silent film projector, my first CD player, a Palm III with a smashed screen, and two Hayes modems hidden away. If we ever move, I'm a dead man.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wow! A Hayes modem! I'd love to have one of those. Wonder if e-bay has them ....

My wife would flat out kill me if I started acquiring new old, useless junk!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
historyb

Well this is what I won:

I been look at all the software for it. The best software will be the reader
Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyb View Post
Well this is what I won:

I been look at all the software for it. The best software will be the reader
Er, what is it?

My current ebook reader is a Palm OS PDA, and I know something about the options available.

Which model is it, what version of Palm Os does it run, how much memory does it have, and can it take expansion cards?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Er, what is it?
Looks like a Palm III, which has 2 MB of RAM for applications + files. There's a utility called FlashPro that has a way to get at another megabyte or so of "hidden" flash memory, but it was not otherwise expandable.

historyb,

With this kind of memory limitation, I'd definitely recommend iSilo. Its files compress down about 40% smaller than a "standard" doc. fictionwise sells in that format, and the converter for plaintext and HTML is free.

Last edited by curtw; 01-25-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
historyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Er, what is it?

My current ebook reader is a Palm OS PDA, and I know something about the options available.

Which model is it, what version of Palm Os does it run, how much memory does it have, and can it take expansion cards?
______
Dennis
It's a Palm 111e with 2 mb ram it runs 3.5.x not sure what OS yet. I know there are a ton of software out there for it.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #15
historyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Looks like a Palm III, which has 2 MB of RAM for applications + files. There's a utility called FlashPro that has a way to get at another megabyte or so of "hidden" flash memory, but it was not otherwise expandable.

historyb,

With this kind of memory limitation, I'd definitely recommend iSilo. Its files compress down about 40% smaller than a "standard" doc. fictionwise sells in that format, and the converter for plaintext and HTML is free.
Thank you. I had some txt that I converted to pdb and I was surprised to see it compressed the file that much. I was think of using the ereader.