Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
PRS 650 + iPad or PRS 950

Just trying get an idea of which way to go, get a prs 650 for strictly reading and later an iPad for PDF and tech manual stuff, or wait on the PRS 950 which may allow to forgo the iPad until a much later date? Is anyone doing the same?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Not exactly the same, but I just got a 650--great reader by the way!

And my husband who currently has a 900 said that he actually likes reading his technical PDFs on my 650 rather than his 900. (Screen is much clearer and zoom options are better.)

My husband is now trying to decide if he wants a 650 to replace his 900 with. He also really wants an iPad--but the price for the iPad is holding him back. With that said, when the 950s come out in November--I'm sure they'll be even better for reading technical manuals on than my 650.

Good luck with your decision.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I realize the 950 will not be a one device does all, and I will eventually get an iPad hopefully a 2nd gen but I hope that whichever prs I buy will just tied me over.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
iPAD + 650 will serve you better I think )
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I finally caved and bought an iPad last week and I am already preferring to read technical books on it over the 650: mainly this is because the iPad displays them with color, and I don't think we'll be seeing color eInk in consumer devices for some time.

The larger screen on the iPad makes reading content with tables and figures a joy, but the 650 is a nice compact size for travelling and for bedtime reading (I'm typically reading fiction at these times, so no need for the large color screen, and eInk is kinder on the eyes in a semi-dark room).

(And yes, I do feel a bit sheepish about acquiring two new reading devices within the space of a month )
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikelet View Post
(And yes, I do feel a bit sheepish about acquiring two new reading devices within the space of a month )
Don't feel sheepish. You use your devices to read different types of books, they are (imho) entirely valid purchases.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Just trying get an idea of which way to go, get a prs 650 for strictly reading and later an iPad for PDF and tech manual stuff, or wait on the PRS 950 which may allow to forgo the iPad until a much later date? Is anyone doing the same?

JJ
I've been wondering the same thing. I was thinking of getting either a 950, or a 650 (or even a 350) and either an iPad or the Pocketbook 903. I am very indecisive when making a purchase, in general. The only read advantage (in my mind) of getting an iPad (for me) over the Pocketbook 903 would be the colour screen, to read comics, but I can't really justify making the purchase to myself based on that alone. The PDFs that I normally read don't have colour illustrations.

The advantage of the 950 would be that I would have it with me at all times, I can't really see myself dragging the Pocketbook 903 or the iPad with me on my commute.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote