Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Connection issues

Hi,

Are there any CC users that are using Norton Security that could possibly help me troubleshoot connection issues? I'm thinking that's where my problem is, but not totally sure about that.

My CC connection has gone pfffft on my devices at some point in the last few days. I just noticed this morning. Am running Calibre v2.44 CC v4.2.9.3, Norton Security with the most recent update. Calibre's Content Server & Wireless Device are on. I haven't changed any settings within Calibre or CC, but I know Norton did an update the other day. Haven't done any Windows (8.1) updates.

Help?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is really weird and happens with my LG Volt, Galaxy 4 phone, and Nexus 7 (2012) tablet. CC doesn't connect to the Content Server. I attempt to open the Content Server URL in a browser 192.168.1.4.:8080 (figuring it won't open) on each device .... and it opens. Go back to CC and I can connect to the Content Server. In two of the devices I've attempted to add this information under Content server connection, which still won't let me connect to the Content Server, but if I go to a browser and then try it works.

Strange.
Advert
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What I think you are saying is that accessing calibre's content server from your device works if you are using the web browser connecting to http://IP:PORT/. However, it sometimes doesn't work if you enter IP and PORT into CC's settings on the same device. If this is true then it really sounds like there is some "security software" on the machine running calibre that is getting in the way. Of course the suspect is Norton.

When you open http://IP:PORT/ in a browser you get calibre's home page. However, CC will try to open http://IP:PORT/opds to get the application interface. If the browser works but CC doesn't then something on the calibre machine is blocking access to /opds.

I might be able to tell you more about what CC thinks is happening if you send me a CC debug log as described in http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/index.php?solution_id=1068. Please erase the multipie.co.uk address.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the debug log. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me anything other than sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Specifically:
  • 11 November: CC connected
  • 14 Nov 10:00, CC didn't connect. You made lots and lots of attempts.
  • 15 Nov at 14:31 CC didn't connect
  • 15 Nov at 14:57 CC connected, without having entered a fixed IP into CC. It worked several more times until
  • (all the rest are 15/Nov) 15:08 CC didn't connect
  • 15:10 CC connected without a fixed IP
  • 15:20:03 CC didn't connect using a fixed IP
  • 15:20:45 CC connected with a fixed IP
  • and so on
The first thing the above implies is that something between CC and calibre is sometimes blocking network traffic. When CC can connect, CC can also "see" calibre using its detection techniques. When CC cannot connect, none of the detection techniques work either. CC is doing the identical thing each time. Neither the IP address of the device nor the IP address of the calibre machine changed. When CC fails to connect, neither wireless device connections nor content server connections work.

I have no idea what connecting to calibre using a browser would do to make it possible for CC to connect. That said, the fact that it happens on multiple devices points a finger toward the machine running calibre (most probable) or your home network router (not likely but...).

Did anything obvious change between 11/Nov and 14/Nov? You mentioned Norton. Does the problem go away if you turn off Norton's internet security/firewall?

Have you tried rebooting both your devices and the computer running calibre?

My guess is that Norton has added some "heuristic processing" to try to detect bad guys, and that CC's network discovery process is triggering the test. The counter argument is that lots of people run Norton and we aren't hearing complaints.

Sorry I can't be more specific. At least you have a work-around.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is it possible that you are sometimes connecting to another nearby network?

on your Host PC, Did you disable power saving on your network card (LAN port) Intel adapters have an extra tab on their Properties screen
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
copyrite
Wizard

I have rebooted the devices, the computer, turned the router off and back on, but I haven't turned Norton off. It seems I can't simply exchange the firewall for Windows firewall.

There's no open networks around me, everything's locked down so that's not an option.

I haven't touched any settings on the network card. I'm very happy there's a work around, but am mystified as to what changed.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I have rebooted the devices, the computer, turned the router off and back on, but I haven't turned Norton off. It seems I can't simply exchange the firewall for Windows firewall.
The best way to see if it is Norton is to boot in safe mode and try connecting CC. Instructions for doing that are here in section 7. It it works (consistently) then you know that something run during a normal boot is interfering. That is where Norton runs, but it could be something else.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
copyrite
Wizard

In safe mode the Nexus 7 with automatic settings would not connect but the Volt with the fixed IP / port did connect. Reversed them, Nexus 7 with fixed IP / port connected, Volt with auto settings did not.

I'm thinking it's a router issue.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I'm thinking it's a router issue.
Is your router dual-band? If so, are the devices and the calibre computer on the same band? Are the bands configured with the same security levels?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
copyrite
Wizard

No the router is not dual-band.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
copyrite
Wizard

Finally broke down and updated my Win8.something computer to Windows 10. Somewhere in the upgrade the problem was resolved. (I don't necessarily recommend updating the OS for resolving CC connecting issues. )