Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
Kobo wabo
Kobo wabo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Kobo wiped

Hi everyone, Hope someone can help.

After trying to sync my (2nd) Kobo for the first time all the books have been deleted and the Kobo won't sync.

I bought a Kobo about a month ago, it was before version 1.4 firmware was released and so the desktop software was also pre- 1.4. I purchased about 8 books and had no problems syncing them. The Kobo then became faulty (a vertical line was permanently displayed on the screen) and I returned it to the place of purchase and organised a replacement which arrived about a week later. The replacement had firmware version 1.4. I didnt know this and tried to sync it using the pre 1.4 desktop software. I got a message saying that sync could not be completed because the desktop client needed updating. I updated the desktop software to version 1.4 and tried to sync again. Normal sync indications were displayed on the desktop software, but after ejecting the reader it was completely wiped - even the 100 preloaded books were gone and of course all my purchases didn't sync. After re-installing and attempting to sync several more times (following the instructions each time) I still can't get any book to load onto the Kobo, upon ejecting it just says "No books found". The settings page indicates that the device is registered to my account elibrary so the device is registered, but it just won't sync! Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Wabo.
Kobo wabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

I don't know the Kobo, so an expert will drop by soon ....

Are your books drm'ed ? If so there may be a need to update the PID ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Have you tried accessing your Kobo via Calibre (free)?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Is the date/time correct on your Kobo? I'm not sure if that makes any difference but it's worth checking?

Another diagnostic procedure is to uninstall and reinstall your desktop application. This has fixed decryption errors that I have encountered (twice) but it's again worth trying in your case.

You may want to call the help line. They have good hours and helpful staff, and they can talk you through such issues.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Or to load books by the hand. If possible.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Have you:

• uninstalled the Kobo desktop software and reinstalled it?
• called customer support?

It's generally a bad idea to try work-arounds like "loading books by hand" until you are sure the software and hardware you have purchased really doesn't work.

It sounds like a conflict on your computer between the old Kobo and the new one.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote