Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo Desktop Performance

To be nice to my wife, I downloaded all the free romance books from the Kobo Store. Many of these are NOT in ePub format; but rather the propietary Kobo format and get stored in the SQLite Database.

The act of dropping one done on the PC (ie delete on web site, Update the Kobo Desktop, Sync to Kobo) is quick.

However; the processing done on the Kobo when the USB cable is disconnected is atrocious! I would swear it took 10 to 15 minutes just now to complete that process. and that was only dropping a single book.

Currently the .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite database on the Kobo is 112,378,880 bytes.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Deleted

Last edited by george.talusan; 10-26-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Deleted
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I bet it's because of the books in the proprietary Kobo format. All of the contents not just metadata is added to the database. It must take a lot of extra time to process the book contents in the database.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Interesting... I just tried an experiment. Before doing a Sync from the PC to the Kobo I saved a copy of the database from the Kobo to my PC.

Then I did the Sync but did not disconnect the Kobo, and then grabbed another copy of the database.

Using a free tool SQLite Compare http://www.sqlitecompare.com/ I compared the two databases.

It would appear the Kobo Desktop client DELETED the data for the majority of ePub format books that had been added via ADE.

Then I did the disconnect, and let the Kobo go through a roughly 15 minute process of updates, and again reconnected the Kobo and copied the database.

The entries that were dropped were now re-added.

The only tables changed during this process were:
content
and
volume_shortcovers

I think tomorrow I will reset the device and experiment further (as long as I can steal it away from the wife's fingers).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
JPandDee
JPandDee began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
A significant part of the Sync process is one-time initiation in addition to the transfer of the book. I transferred 10 books the other day and it only took about 3 times as long as transferring 1.

Whenever KOBO starts releasing reader firmware upgrades, that will have an impact as well.
JPandDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert