Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
'Kindle' in 'Top 10 Most Brilliant Gadgets of the Year' of Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ge=3&series=60

Popular mechanics chose 'Kindle' as one of the 'Top 10 Most Brilliant Gadgets of the Year'
It says
Quote:
The Kindle’s key innovation—the one that blazes the way for digital paper products—is its inclusion of a high-speed EVDO antenna and a deal with Sprint that allow users to download books quickly, from nearly anywhere.
I am Sony Reader owner but it is good to see that e-ink devices are getting attentions.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm glad the Kindle got this mention. But, truthfully Whispernet is not why I bought the device. Kindle store content is why I bought the device.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ge=3&series=60

Popular mechanics chose 'Kindle' as one of the 'Top 10 Most Brilliant Gadgets of the Year'
It says

I am Sony Reader owner but it is good to see that e-ink devices are getting attentions.
How did a device released and shipped in 2007 become a 2008 device of the year?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
How did a device released and shipped in 2007 become a 2008 device of the year?
Actually, I thought it is quite odd, too.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Since it's October and the list is already out, maybe the qualifying period was Sept 2007 to Sept 2008 (or something like that).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Since it's October and the list is already out, maybe the qualifying period was Sept 2007 to Sept 2008 (or something like that).
spoil sport, you ruined all the fun .

p.s. I know you're right. The Kindle clearly came out after they published last year but they really ought to call it something else or wait till January to publish it.

Dale
Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
spoil sport, you ruined all the fun .
Tee hee hee
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Ooooo, and my Livescribe Pulse Pen is on page two!!

Gee .... suddenly I feel so cutting edge!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
... they really ought to call it something else or wait till January to publish it.
Or specify that they're using fiscal years or sumthin' ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Ooooo, and my Livescribe Pulse Pen is on page two!!

Gee .... suddenly I feel so cutting edge!!
I looked at that and didn't quite understand what it is for. How do you use that product?

Dale
Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
I looked at that and didn't quite understand what it is for. How do you use that product?

Dale
I'm interested to learn more too...seems like it corrects your sloppy handwriting?
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm glad the Kindle got this mention. But, truthfully Whispernet is not why I bought the device. Kindle store content is why I bought the device.

BOb
It's not why I bought the device. I figured, meh, maybe I'll use it once in awhile but probably not. I figured it was just for the tech-phobic who were uncomfortable with transferring files. Wikipedia search sounded nifty. Now that I have it, I realize how lovely it can be, especially in combination with the free sample chapters. I love instant gratification. My husband actually gets a lot more use out of it than I do since he commutes on the train. He's a fast reader and goes through a lot of books. He can always get a new one even if he's nowhere near a computer.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:

Dale
Well, it's got a little camera in the tip, so it records every pen stroke you make, and then it uploads it, exactly as you wrote it, into the computer.

However, it also records (with amazing clarity) all the sounds in the room, and uploads them as well. So, if you are in a lecture or a meeting and taking notes, you can click on what you wrote and it will play the audio back for you.

The thing is .... it will do that on your computer, but it will also do that in the paper notebook itself. So, if I have a question about what someone said, I can play it back immediately .... I don't have to wait until I'm at my computer.

It also has a calculator in it and they are building language translation modules for it. It's just toooooo neat. I use it to take audio messages off of my message machine, for client meetings, for client phone calls (I ask the client if it's ok if I record, and explain to them that it will make it easier for both of us because I won't need to call them back and have them repeat information), and I used it a LOT at the Bar Convention. It holds about 200 hours of audio and 200 pages of writing .... and then you just archive it on to your computer.

It's the BEST!!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, sounds like a neat device. If you not at your computer how can you access a given message? Does it actually match the scan of the note internally to find the message? So it isn't tracking the stroke it is scanning the results. I can see that, in your line of work, it would be practically essential.

Dale
Old 10-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Thanks, sounds like a neat device. If you not at your computer how can you access a given message? Does it actually match the scan of the note internally to find the message? So it isn't tracking the stroke it is scanning the results. I can see that, in your line of work, it would be practically essential.

Dale
No, it actually uses the camera to track the stroke of the pen. If you are not at your computer and you want to hear the audio, you just touch the point on the notebook page where you started recording, and the audio will play out of the speaker in the pen.

If you want to hear the audio really well, and record surround sound, then you just plug in the headphone/microphone set that comes with the pen.

It uses special paper, but the paper costs the same as regular notebook paper and you can get it at Target or from Amazon, so it's not a big deal to get more.

The text is searchable in the computer (however, it really is best to block print if you want search to be perfect .... what I do is use my regular handwriting, and then block print the occasional key word so I can find it on search.

When you upload it ... if there is audio attached, the text is green. No audio, it's black. Then when you play the audio, it actually recreates the strokes as the audio is playing.