Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
(Google’s Touch Chromebook Rumor) Are Chrome OS and Android Merging?

November 27th, 2012 by Brad Chacos, LAPTOP Contributor

"Microsoft isn’t the only company going touch-crazy with its desktop operating system. A new report claims that Google is working on an in-house Chromebook with a touch screen display. If true, this device would pose an interesting third option (and challenger) to the pair of Chromebooks that Acer and Samsung recently released. More important, such a device could combine Chrome OS and Android into a single user experience.

The China Commercial Times claims that Google has already placed hardware orders with Taiwanese manufacturers Compal Electronics and Wintek."

more information

Google could combine it's entries in the computing world, Chrome and Android, and mount a powerful two pronged attack on Microsoft and Apple at the same time.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Can't imagine how much of a s***storm that'd cause among Android devs - they already whine enough about fragmentation as it is.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Can't imagine how much of a s***storm that'd cause among Android devs - they already whine enough about fragmentation as it is.
Well, a ChromeBook would have a similar screen as a 10" tablet, so I don't see what extra work would there be for developers. They're already targetting tablets with 1280x800 pixels and larger, so apps should just work on a ChromeBook.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that there will be some software and maybe firmware retrofitting, and then everything will fall in place.

I started off an aircraft mechanic, and then flew and so I was actually able to help when someone decided to install something new into an aircraft that was never intended for having it.

A little fabrication, welding, cutting, and as long as the aircraft had enough lift, could be trimmed, and the controls were adaptable and the pilot had a little moxie, away we would go.

I frankly don't know the difference between the Chrome apps and the Android apps but I do know there are a lot more Android apps, and that is a selling point for the Chromebooks if they can offer them.

For myself, I am more interested in the work apps and Chrome is pretty good already for what I have seen.

In fact Google just announced that their own Spread Sheet program is now "native" which is not really giving me much information, but people seem to think that it is a good thing.

I do know you can buy apps for Chrome or Android that are good at spread sheets. However Google's stuff seems to be free.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

KELLNER: What Google’s new Chromebook says about the future

KELLNER: What Google’s new Chromebook says about the future
By Mark A. Kellner
The Washington Times Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"The basic idea behind the Chromebook is that it would function largely while connected to the Internet. Data are stored on Google’s servers, presumably securely, and applications, such as they are, also are in the “cloud.” That means the Chromebook doesn’t need much in the way of onboard storage, and its manufacturers (mainly Samsung) can use reasonably priced microprocessors and “splurge” on better displays and smaller form factors.

In plain English, if you can get something that does a lot of what Apple’s MacBook Air does at one-quarter of the price, or less, would you do it?"

More this article

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I think I'll stick to my TF300.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I think I'll stick to my TF300.
That is nice.
I have something similar with a Samsung 7Plus.
About the same price.

What I want though is a notebook.
A good netbook replacement with a great keyboard for $199 with the Acer C7. That is about 1/2 the price of the above machines.

I tried both the new Chromebooks (Acer and Samsung) out.
Keyboard very similar to a 11.6" Mac Air at 1/4 the price or less.
Very similar in other ways too for the light side of computing that I do.
Both the new Chromebooks have lightweight processors, but the screen is great and very fast and they say you can view videos very well on it, even though I don't really view videos on computers.

The only thing holding me back is the battery life. 3 1/2 to 4 hours is too short though the battery is user replaceable so you could carry an extra. I want an extended battery.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I would certainly explore the capabilities of a fusion between Chrome and Android. I feel I know both well enough by now.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
The combo sounds fun.

But, like someone said already, it would probably add to the fragmentation argument.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The one reason I might consider a Chromebook is that the Acer C7 has a 320GB HD. You use the Google apps offline, and you have your files offline as well. Or you can have a dual boot device with something other than Chrome. I see them talking about Ubuntu but why not XP Home or something similar.
Of course if you have an android duality you can load up the Android Office stuff if you prefer, and that is what this thread is saying.

The single largest drawback to the Acer C7 Chromebook is that 3 1/2 hr to 4 hr battery life.
I do see on Amazon where you can buy a replacement battery for $15 on up.

If it does like I think, you just pull out the battery/shelf/compartment that is in the C7 and plug a second battery in. That would give you 7 to 8 hours battery life which is good for these type devices.

The question then arises how do you charge the battery that is not in the device? It would be nice if there was a stand or an attachment to the C7 charger. I could see needing two C7 chargers.

At the end of the day, when you put your phone on its charger, and the C7 on its charger, you would want to put the replacement battery on its charger also. Also don't forget the company notebook, a handheld device like my Archos 43, the handheld hiking GPS, your walkie talkies.

I am kidding of course. I was just running through a list of the things I carry at one time or another. Everyone would have their own list.

You might use one whole 15 AMP service just to charge your devices at night.

Last edited by frahse; 12-04-2012 at 05:15 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
puzzled

Game plays on Macbook Pro running Chrome but not on Series 3 Samsung 249USD ARM machine.

Quote:
"I bought the Samsung Series 3 Chromebook, in hopes that it would be a light-weight machine that does everything I usually do on my Macbook Pro. I essentially live in Chrome, and for me, gaming is a big part of my life. I moved to the Chromebook thinking that I could play some casual games that can be easily played on my Macbook Pro running Chrome. However, games like Running Fred (link here), Sleepy Jack and Cordy don't work at all. This was a huge disappointment to me, as I had bought the Chromebook thinking that I'd be able to casually game once in a while. Is there any known fix for this?"
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/ekID0B-AJnM

Any answers?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
puzzled

Game plays on Macbook Pro running Chrome but not on Series 3 Samsung 249USD ARM machine.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...al/ekID0B-AJnM

Any answers?
Macbook Pro is Intel CPU, Samsung is ARM... unless written for universal running then anything written to run on one processor, won't run on another...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Macbook Pro is Intel CPU, Samsung is ARM... unless written for universal running then anything written to run on one processor, won't run on another...
There's always runtimes, but a lot of people think runtimes are too slow and not secure enough for games.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
This just sounds like the old larry ellison Network computer idea...it's a bad idea... do you trust Google to keep your data safe? do you want to have to depend on internet access to do work... if you answer yes to both then good luck lol.. I will stick with my windoze/linux laptop lol....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
This just sounds like the old larry ellison Network computer idea...it's a bad idea... do you trust Google to keep your data safe? do you want to have to depend on internet access to do work... if you answer yes to both then good luck lol.. I will stick with my windoze/linux laptop lol....

I don't trust my Windows computer, that's why I back up important files.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote