Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
iSilo for iPhone?

It would appear that a version of iSilo for iPhone/iPod Touch is most definitely in the works. In fact, it may arrive any minute! At least, that my interpenetration of these links I stumbled upon:

http://www.isilo.com/support/manual/...SiloManual.htm
http://www.isilo.com/support/howto/T...sferFileIP.htm

This is a most exciting development indeed. I'll be watching the App Store like a hawk!

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
It is now........

isilo available on iphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008, August 24

iSilo™ 1.0 for iPhone OS made available at the App Store.

www.isilo.com

iSilo™ for iPhone is now available for sale on the App Store and debuts with an introductory promotional price, so purchasing early will get you the most favorable price. Please check the App Store for final pricing. ($9.99 - bjc)

Always liked isilo - like it better than mobi. Costs, sure, ($20 for each license/platform) but man, was it easy to make a book.....

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I've been able to read most of my palm formatted books on there but some don't work.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
I've been able to read most of my palm formatted books on there but some don't work.
Which do, and which don't? iSilo is an offline HTML viewer for Palm OS. It handled PalmDOC files and it's own converted HTML files that last I knew.

Sounds like the ones it won't read aren't in those formats, and need something else to read them.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
iSilo used to by my personal all-time-favorite app when I was still stuck to reading e-books on Palms and Pocket PCs. It does an amazing job converting HTML pages for offline usage, and it's also quick in rendering pages.

I am not so sure if it's still a powerful tool as it used to be considering that most devices have some kind of online connectivity nowadays.

I wish iSilo would abandon its own file format in favor of one of the more common ones.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
iSilo used to by my personal all-time-favorite app when I was still stuck to reading e-books on Palms and Pocket PCs. It does an amazing job converting HTML pages for offline usage, and it's also quick in rendering pages.

I am not so sure if it's still a powerful tool as it used to be considering that most devices have some kind of online connectivity nowadays.
Assuming you want to read on line, and have connectivity.

I looked at iSilo back when, but preferred Plucker, an free, open source offline HTML viewer for Palm OS, with an associated cross-platform desktop app to handle the conversion. I don't use Plucker for reading web pages offline -- I use it for HTML ebooks. About 3,200 of the 3,500+ ebooks on my PDA are in Plucker format.

If I used iSilo, I'd be doing the same thing, and connectivity or lack of it would be irrelevant.

Quote:
I wish iSilo would abandon its own file format in favor of one of the more common ones.
Such as? It needs a format capable of handling color, text attributes, embedded images, fonts, and hyperlinks. Which would you suggest it use? (And in the process, do you suggest it drop support for its own format, thereby rendering existing content in that format unreadable?)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
I transfered over some .pdb books I had on a hard drive from my palm days. I suppose some of them may have been corrupt hence the read errror.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
I transfered over some .pdb books I had on a hard drive from my palm days. I suppose some of them may have been corrupt hence the read errror.
iSilo changed formats at one point. the new software won't read the old files. The wiki has the details.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
iSilo changed formats at one point. the new software won't read the old files. The wiki has the details.
I'm still able to open and read all of my iSilo 1/2 documents, using the latest version of iSilo with no problems...

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote