Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Not even close to being so. I have multiple redundancy backup and with my own hardware no one is trying to hack into my data. So far Google, Apple, Dropbox and Evernote have all been targets. I keep my data under my control.
There is also a big difference for people who are paranoid (or not?) about people legally accessing your data, at least in the US. Data on your own PC in your own home is protected by your fourth amendment rights, and requires a warrant to access. Data stored by an online provider is not, and requires only a subpoena, with a lower standard of proof required.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The printers are pretty cheap. In fact, most new printers are already cloud Print compatible.
That's what I was thinking but it worried me that I didn't know for sure.

Is Goggle's definition of a "cloud printer" simply a "wireless" printer?

I have never seen that written down in an official way.

The way they talk about a "cloud printer" makes it seem really special and different.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #48
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is also a big difference for people who are paranoid (or not?) about people legally accessing your data, at least in the US. Data on your own PC in your own home is protected by your fourth amendment rights, and requires a warrant to access. Data stored by an online provider is not, and requires only a subpoena, with a lower standard of proof required.
If you are worried about your data, encrypt it.
To get the key from you the Govt would require the utmost authority.

My secret, secret and even more secret stuff has quite a lot of encryption.
But on the other hand, if the Govt brings me that legal paper and I have checked with my lawyer to be sure it is valid, then sure here is the key.

And by the way many of the services that store your data along with a starting amount of free storage will encrypt it or let you provide the key.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #49
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The printers are pretty cheap. In fact, most new printers are already cloud Print compatible.
The printers are cheap - but the ink is insanely expensive... Something like $0.15 per mililiter when you go cheap and buy black ink (without a kit or cartridge) - and easily $0.50/ml and higher once you buy with a cartridge. Compare to, say, home heating fuel here in Nova Scotia, which is currently $1.36/l - or $0.00136/ml! Even the cheapest bottles of printer ink puts almost any other liquid commodity to shame for its price.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #50
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
If you are worried about your data, encrypt it.
To get the key from you the Govt would require the utmost authority.
...or you just re-entering the country from a trip abroad.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #51
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I got the Raspberry Pi running as a Google Cloud Print server today, as per murraypaul's suggestion above. I can now print from my Chromebook to my old printers (which aren't Cloud Print ready) without needing to switch on my Windows machine.

I haven't quite figured out how to make the daemon service start automatically if I reboot the Pi - at least, I know I need to create a script for the init.d folder, but my script's not working - but that's my lack of Linux knowledge, I suspect. (If anyone else has got this working I'd love to have a copy of the script!)

However, for now it's a simple matter to open a terminal window into the Pi from the Chromebook and type "cloudprint -a" if the Pi has been rebooted.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #52
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not even close to being so. I have multiple redundancy backup and with my own hardware no one is trying to hack into my data. So far Google, Apple, Dropbox and Evernote have all been targets. I keep my data under my control.
You can back up data that you keep on the cloud just like you can back up data that you keep on local storage. And being stored locally is no guarantee that someone won't attempt to hack it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #53
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
You can back up data that you keep on the cloud just like you can back up data that you keep on local storage. And being stored locally is no guarantee that someone won't attempt to hack it.
Of course it is safe. How can they hack it if it isn't online? My backup server has no internet connection and my internet/mail server has its OS in ROM, not RAM. It is an ex Military system running XP Pro SP3 in ROM. An old - but stable - OS, and fast. It ain't going anywhere.

The Chromebook that my wife got last week was setup with her email accounts, one gmail the other a local ISP. Within two days she was being targeted with ads related to topics discussed in her email and her browsing history - even though ALL cookies are turned off and history not saved. You can have the cloud and anything related to Google - they have one purpose, to profile you for marketing.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #54
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Chromebook that my wife got last week was setup with her email accounts, one gmail the other a local ISP. Within two days she was being targeted with ads related to topics discussed in her email and her browsing history - even though ALL cookies are turned off and history not saved.
This doesn't particularly bother me. Given that the adverts appear anyway, I'd much rather that they were targeted and useful than random.

Graham
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #55
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
This doesn't particularly bother me. Given that the adverts appear anyway, I'd much rather that they were targeted and useful than random.
...while a LOT of other people (once they are made aware of just how badly their privacy is being invaded, both online and off) would much rather the ads be based on the intended audience of the web site being visited rather than being based on data mining of our private information
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #56
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I got the Raspberry Pi running as a Google Cloud Print server today, as per murraypaul's suggestion above.

Graham
Graham another wonderful use for your Raspberry Pi, as a music/internet radio server - and with no requirement for Linux knowledge - is provided by: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/wiki/index...berry_Pi_Image

Where did you buy your Chromebook? Did you import from USA or did you find one in the UK?
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #57
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
Graham another wonderful use for your Raspberry Pi, as a music/internet radio server - and with no requirement for Linux knowledge - is provided by: http://www.squeezeplug.eu/wiki/index...berry_Pi_Image
Thanks, but at the moment I've got that handled by Twonky on my NAS box. (Actually, the more I dabble with the Pi, the more I realise that I could probably run the same scripts on the NAS machine, which was heretofore a complete mystery to me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
Where did you buy your Chromebook? Did you import from USA or did you find one in the UK?
I bought it from Amazon UK. We've got Prime membership, so it was £224 and delivered the following day. I think PC World have them as well.

Graham
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #58
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Welcome to the Internet...Unless you want a government or interested party to not know a thing about you..... You should just go off the Grid, live on a mountain in an undisclosed location, with no electricity or address, then maybe few people will know about you. You could send emails to MR via random post offices to Switzerland c/o Alex.

Quote:

Graham
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #59
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Welcome to the Internet...Unless you want a government or interested party to not know a thing about you..... You should just go off the Grid, live on a mountain in an undisclosed location, with no electricity or address, then maybe few people will know about you. You could send emails to MR via random post offices to Switzerland c/o Alex.
Or learn enough about technology to be become untraceable.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #60
mointer
mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mointer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is a great product. It has been demonstrated something different.
Chromebook will be challenger for existing laptop.
mointer is offline   Reply With Quote