Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why do so few thrillers central characters have a life?

Obsessed cops, psycho killer elites and downbeat spies. Why can thriller heros not be upbeat fun loving sexually alive individuals?
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
But that would break the cliche!!
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Happy families are happy alike; unhappy families are unhappy differently. (name that quote!)

Related: A long time ago, in a multi-player game far, far away, I was reading applications from prospective members of what you could think of as a role-playing group, detailing their characters' backgrounds. Every last one of them was an orphan. Every bloody one. I asked a friend "how come we don't get apps from people whose happy parents saved up to send them to the big city to join our (highly respected) career path?" But they didn't. It became the subpath joke that we must be running an orphanage.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Happy families are happy alike; unhappy families are unhappy differently. (name that quote!)
Tolstoy, Anna Karenina.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worldwalker: That kinda goes along with the "beam me up, scotty" joke about sci-fi too. Or that all the greatest military leaders in history never married, or were only married briefly, and their wives died, leaving them to live a life of solitude as a military commander.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Musette
Enthusiast
Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Musette is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
Obsessed cops, psycho killer elites and downbeat spies. Why can thriller heros not be upbeat fun loving sexually alive individuals?
I'd like to read some of these thrillers. Coming from reading nothing but Romances I'm ready for a change. There are plenty of fun loving sexually alive individuals in Romance, emphasis on the sexually alive, maybe not so much fun loving though.
Musette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's because you don't expect someone who has a life to become involved in events that are likely to occur in thrillers. I mean if a cop is obsessed with catching a particular bad guy for example chances are his personal relationships (and maybe his work as well) will suffer for it. Similar things apply to the others as well. For whatever reason personal lives suffer due to their activities.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it's because you don't expect someone who has a life to become involved in events that are likely to occur in thrillers. I mean if a cop is obsessed with catching a particular bad guy for example chances are his personal relationships (and maybe his work as well) will suffer for it. Similar things apply to the others as well. For whatever reason personal lives suffer due to their activities.
True.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Worldwalker: That kinda goes along with the "beam me up, scotty" joke about sci-fi too. Or that all the greatest military leaders in history never married, or were only married briefly, and their wives died, leaving them to live a life of solitude as a military commander.
Except for Honor Harrington who came from a loving and doting family, married happily, and geve birth to children she adored -- all while saving the universe from destruction.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There should be scope for "real characters" in thrillers who are believable and human caught up in dramatic series of events. 99% of thrillers, especially crime thrillers are so far off any connection with reality as to make them hard to read. Surely a middle ground can be found that makes for a good story without stretching credibility too far
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Ya know, I may not be a thriller writer, but I could very easily write a thriller if I wanted to that didn't have some messed up individual as the centerpiece. Heck, I could have it star a stay at home mother with super powers and still make it better than most traditional thrillers. lol.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Why not try it and see then Steven? If you succeed great, and if you find it more difficult than you expect then you will have expanded yourself as a writer. So either way you would stand to gain from the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Ya know, I may not be a thriller writer, but I could very easily write a thriller if I wanted to that didn't have some messed up individual as the centerpiece. Heck, I could have it star a stay at home mother with super powers and still make it better than most traditional thrillers. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Actually, once I get done with my present backlist of books, I just might. Heck, I'll be in need of some fresh content anyways.