Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #211
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
The libraries might allow you to do that but you need to program the interface to give you that option and you have to harmonize that with the other features
If you read my thread you will see that there is already a problem with switching from black to white and back . There are some internal variables that have to be managed ans synchronized while you are changing the colors ...it is not that easy (you should know what I am talking about if you ever programmed)
Granted I don't see the code where the UI interfaces with the Scribble functionality, yet - but I was surprised to find code to that respect in the UI source (not the application libraries).

Which thread are you referring to?

P.S.: Yes, seems I got carried away - would've been to good to be true... nonetheless - which thread are you referring to?

Last edited by kodomo; 02-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #212
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Didn't try it yet, but I would reckon: By unpacking them onto a SD card. (I would guess that there's not so much an 'installation', but a 'copying onto the device' that's required to use them )
I'll have to try a given moment (or you could - and report or write a short paragraph in https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92_software_list

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor
It is actually very easy:
Just unpack (if packed) and copy the folder with the game/program to the internal memory of M92 (or SD card). Using file manager go to the folder and click (with the stylus or OK) the flie with .OAR extension. That's it!
Thansks. Very easy indeed. I tried the chess game and it never ends loading. i even had to reset the device.

Update: It seems the problem is the sd-card. Copied it into the internal memory and now works as a charm.

Last edited by thorgal; 02-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #213
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Granted I don't see the code where the UI interfaces with the Scribble functionality, yet - but I was surprised to find code to that respect in the UI source (not the application libraries).

Which thread are you referring to?

P.S.: Yes, seems I got carried away - would've been to good to be true... nonetheless - which thread are you referring to?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169932
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #214
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I did not get there yet in my workflow.
I am still reading a book and I will test the transfer to the desktop soon.

When jbaach reviewed the ereader I looked into that and I noticed that the scribbles were stored as layers not as annotations (in the comments section)
So I suspect that in order to print them you need to flatten the document or you need to somehow enable the printing for layers.

Do not use a regular PDF reader for this ...you need something more advanced like Adobe Acrobat or BlueBeam PDF Revu (BTW this is a great piece of software)
After going through quite a number of pdf tools/viewers/editors, I finally found one (on Linux) that is able to print the annotations : xournal .
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #215
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
After going through quite a number of pdf tools/viewers/editors, I finally found one (on Linux) that is able to print the annotations : xournal .
Can you list here the one you tried?
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #216
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Can you list here the one you tried?
Assuming a missing s and responding to "the ones you tried":
evince, pdftk (tried flatten - to no avail), acroread, okular, pdfedit, inkscape (yes, I was desperate ), PDFXChange via wine (only trial version, which does not support flattening - but printing with this one did not include the annotations), FoxitReader
Most would show the annotations, but not print them.

As written above: xournal did the trick.

Ah - and some Adobe Reader version with more functionality than my Linux Acroread (but not the full fledged Creator) - not working either. (If you need more details w.r.t. the version, I'll need to check again tomorrow at the office - don't have the machine here with me)

Last edited by kodomo; 02-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #217
PF4Mobile
Guru

yes I misssssed an "s"

So I take it that you wanted a free permanent solution....Otherwise you always have the virtual machine solution. Install a Windows OS (trial copy ) in a VM environment, Download the PDF trial software of your choice and install it in the VM. I am going to stop here. You can figure out by yourself how to use a trial copy... as you wish.

Did I suggest you BleBeam PDF vue...?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #218
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
yes I misssssed an "s"

So I take it that you wanted a free permanent solution....Otherwise you always have the virtual machine solution. Install a Windows OS (trial copy ) in a VM environment, Download the PDF trial software of your choice and install it in the VM. I am going to stop here. You can figure out by yourself how to use a trial copy... as you wish.

Did I suggest you BleBeam PDF vue...?
In fact, the last Adobe program mentioned above was running under Windows 7. (If I'm not mistaken, it was a licensed Adobe Acrobat X Pro - but I'd have to check again to be sure)

But yes, I'm happy about a native (and free) Linux solution

You did suggest PDFVue - have you tried printing annotations with it? Does it work?

Last edited by kodomo; 02-25-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #219
PF4Mobile
Guru

Adobe Acrobat X and PDFVue are the most complete PDF programs that I know. I did not try to print but I strongly doubt it is not possible.
I will give it a try when I get there. Anyway I believe we are off topic now...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #220
kodomo
M92 info archivist

Quote:
Adobe Acrobat X and PDFVue are the most complete PDF programs that I know. I did not try to print but I strongly doubt it is not possible.
I will give it a try when I get there. Anyway I believe we are off topic now...
ack - I checked the Windows 7 program again today:
It's "Adobe Reader X". Again, it visualizes the scribble annotations on screen, but the best I could do with respect to printing was clicking on 'summarize comments' in the print dialog - which put small annotation marks to locations where the annotations should be (but did not print the scribbles themselves). Plain printing would not show any annotations.

But anyhow: after using xournal to print the pdf to (a new .pdf) file, I have a PDF that every program can print - cumbersome, but ok

Cheers.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #221
JcMaxwell
JcMaxwell began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92 w/1.7.20120224
hi folks,

i got my m92 last week and already updated it to the latest firmware 1.7 20120224, which works pretty fine!

for now, there are two issues which could hopefully be solved with your help

=> Dictionaries:
I managed to install new dictionaries, but unfortunately I haven't found an appropriate german-english dictionary and http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php doesn't work anymore..
dictionaries from http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedict/files/ don't have the .ifo files which are needed for the m92

=> WLAN: is there any chance to connect to networks with suppressed SSID broadcast? I tried to enter the WLAN information manually, but the device didn't connect - after switching on SSID broadcast WiFi works!
JcMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #222
downtom1988
downtom1988 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1, M92
There are some comments on the way this product is steadily developped (as opposed to perfect and finished) and how Booxtor is involved in the feedback process with Onyx.

I bought a Sony PRS-T1 when it was released. As it was my first e-reader I wasn't careful enough when I chose it: It was impossible to scribble whenever zoomed-in and scribbles made when the font was increased to a readible size could not be seen in the regular view.
So I complained to the customer service and got simply NO response.
You may be unhappy about an unfinished product - but please be happy about the problems being fixed quick and someone = Booxtor with a direct and influential link to the developers. That's far better than with Sony.

And now it's me "exploiting" this relationship (actually it's no exploitation: in my opinion, products sould be released flawless - but that seems to be too optimistic):

1. When I select the finest scribble "pen", my scribbles are invisible until select erasing scetches or a bolder shape. Very inconvenient.

2. Using scribbling a lot (and also the menu because of the problem described above and because of not being familiar with the system yet), the battery shows only 77% left, even though it was a 97% three hours ago. That's worse than the PRS-T1 and not what I expected from 8000 page-turns. Does it mean that the screen was refreshed ~ 2000 times? :-/ More information when energy is actually used would be great. Can I e.g. disable WiFi (or see the status)?
EDIT: Now it dropped from 73 to 71% after one our which is quite acceptable. Maybe 97% was a wrong number due to ongoing charging. I'll keep reporting.

3. Some (optional?) shortcut symbols / a toolbar for the annotation tools would be very convenient, in particular between making and erasing a sketch and annotation, respectively (as continuing with the former annotation mode is the most likely action after erasing an mistake). A good solution (as far as I can see ;-) ) is to have two corresponding symbols instead of one between the page slider and the clock, one active, the other one inactive.

4. A tool for highlighting or underlining that neatly follows the words. I know that it already exists in the annotation mode, but it's quite annoying to click on OK each time (since I don't wish to actually write something in most annotations.

5. This forum is actually not the perfect tool for new customers to get access to firmware updates etc. Couln't find anything on Onyx's webpage; in addition, this forum and this thread in particular were difficult to discover in Google.

Thanks in advance for fixing it!

PS: FW used is now 1.7; I was experiencing similar problems as described above when upgrading. My SD card is from Panasonic and has 8 GB and speed 6. It worked, however, after removing it before restarting the device.

Last edited by downtom1988; 02-26-2012 at 08:05 PM.
downtom1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #223
PF4Mobile
Guru

Re #1: check the scribbling color. The color selection is weird sometimes.
It happen to me too
To see if that is the problem at the end of the sequence described at #1 try to change the color (select black again even if it shows it is selected). You will have the surprise to see that your scribbles are there, they are just drawn in white.
The finest pen seems to have a bug. Luckily I do not use that

Most of the bugs and suggestions you mentioned above have been described here or in the thread "Reading technical PDFs"....
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #224
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtom1988 View Post
3. Some (optional?) shortcut symbols / a toolbar for the annotation tools would be very convenient, in particular between making and erasing a sketch and annotation, respectively (as continuing with the former annotation mode is the most likely action after erasing an mistake). A good solution (as far as I can see ;-) ) is to have two corresponding symbols instead of one between the page slider and the clock, one active, the other one inactive.
I concur. Also, it seems to me that all annotations are shifted by one letter to the right, so that if I highlight the word "Onyx" only "nyx" is saved...
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #225
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
@downtom1988:
I am monitoring the wishes, suggestions, bug reports etc. here very intently.
There are not only Onyx ingenieurs who is progressing the project. We are also in contact with some other freelancers.
Some of your suggestions isn't new and are already in development. So just please be patient.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote