Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #61
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle

It seems I'm not the only one who made this connection. I find myself attracted to my Kindle for that very reason. (Not because I find my self lost and drunk, it just makes me feel like I have my own copy of The Guide.)

I'm currently reading "And Another Thing," the 6th part of the trilogy, by Eoin Colfer. He has Adams' style down. So far I think I like this book better than the last couple Adams books.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #62
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
"I have an exceptionally large mind."

Would ladies consider that attractive?

Sure, if you use it to hypnotize them first!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #63
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Got the old, "Not available in your area" message. Figured I would, but it was worth a shot. Thanks for the link, anyway. Now that I know it exists, I may try to find a copy that is accessible in the U.S.
And I thought it was just us living in Asia

I too got the ever present "Not available in YOUR area".

I even had a look on a few site to see if it was available to buy. No luck yet.

Last edited by Mortis; 02-01-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: FFS
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #64
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
Sadly, content on the BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK, and even then you're supposed to have paid your tv license fee
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dworth View Post
Sadly, content on the BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK, and even then you're supposed to have paid your tv license fee
Actually, a TV licence is only payable for watching live broadcasts of BBC TV. Technically, you don't need one to use iPlayer, so long as you don't use the live simulcast bit of it.

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...rogs/tvlicence
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #66
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's too bad that the BBC doesn't allow anyone from other "Regions" to view their content, but then again the American networks do the same as I am sure other countries.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
It's too bad that the BBC doesn't allow anyone from other "Regions" to view their content, but then again the American networks do the same as I am sure other countries.
I do wonder whether they're working on some way of getting a licence fee going for overseas users of iPlayer. (It's £145.50/year at the moment.)
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #68
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

145 Pound!!! Damn thats my monthly rent, although it would be nice, but I'm sure there are other viable options, ones that are slightly less morally acceptable though
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
145 Pound!!! Damn thats my monthly rent, although it would be nice, but I'm sure there are other viable options, ones that are slightly less morally acceptable though
I have no knowledge of whether they do have plans to let non-UK residents use iPlayer for a licence fee. It might be just too tricky legally (rights for non-BBC programmes) and technically.

It's a pretty good deal IMO in the UK. Four+ TV channels seven+ radio channels, no advertising, original programming, for just over £12/month. Of course, it's not optional if you watch TV at all.

Cheapest Sky TV subscription is over £19/month. And, of course, you must pay the TV licence too.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #70
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Wow, now I remember one of the reasons I stopped subscribing to TV.

Sorry off topic...

Could be worse, could be Vogon poetry

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

Last edited by Mortis; 02-02-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: needed another "F"
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #71
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not as bad as the poetry of that girl from Redbridge.
I hear she was writing about TV license fees.

You know, by amazing coincidence, I only became aware of TV license fees this week, while looking up some UK TV standards. Now I see them mentioned again in the this thread.

I'm kind of shocked by the idea of license fees to operate a receiver to see stuff they are beaming into your home whether you want it or not.

Plus, in the commercial TV model, like here in the US, if a show is bad, we don't have the additional salt in the wound of having paid for it directly out of our own pocket.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm kind of shocked by the idea of license fees to operate a receiver to see stuff they are beaming into your home whether you want it or not.

Plus, in the commercial TV model, like here in the US, if a show is bad, we don't have the additional salt in the wound of having paid for it directly out of our own pocket.
It is a bit shocking isn't it, if you're not used to it. Yes, you have to pay it if you have receive TV broadcasts, whether or not you actually watch any BBC channels.

OTOH, we can actually watch an hour of drama, news, sport or comedy without intermissions every 15 minutes!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #73
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Life... Don't talk to me about life...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #74
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
I've got this ache in the diodes, all down my left side...

dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #75
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I've got this ache in the diodes, all down my left side...

You should see a doctor ... ER, I mean mechanic ...
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote