Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Tablet/netbook for use in classroom

I've been following the new Pocketbook devices, IQ in particular, because I've been looking for a tablet/netbook I could use for taking attendance in class, taking notes, simple spreadsheet calculations, occasional Powerpoint presentation. My laptop, student handouts and corrected papers have gotten too heavy for me and are likely to break my back.

I have no idea whether this is something the IQ can even do, and it's price is something that my overtaxed budget would be able to take. Are there any other devices out there that would fit my needs without leaving me destitute?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Cocomaster
Cocomaster began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 903
The PocketBook IQ will be able to do the things you said, but I am not sure about the Powerpoint. I am wondering pretty much the same thing about the device.. I will be able to test it next week normally, I will let you update citac.
Cocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There are presentation-reading apps for Android (e.g ThinkFree Office). However, I'm not sure about presentation-making apps.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's fine, I don't care about presentation-making apps. I can create those at home, then upload them to the device, hook it up to the projector and show them to the students. I think I don't even need a presentation viewing app - I could simply convert the slides into images and show it as a slide show, couldn't I?

But I could definitely use something that can handle spreadsheets - I keep track of student attendance and performance that way, with formulas that calculate whether they're nearing the 20% absence which is their limit, and their quiz, midterms and finals results.

I checked netbooks in local shops - there are few of them and they are sometimes more expensive then 15" laptops. IQ will cost me less that that even with taxes, I was surprised how little is charged for shipping to my country. There have been occasions where shipping something cost as much or more than the object being shipped.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocomaster View Post
The PocketBook IQ will be able to do the things you said, but I am not sure about the Powerpoint. I am wondering pretty much the same thing about the device.. I will be able to test it next week normally, I will let you update citac.
That would be fantastic, as it will answer a lot of my questions. I like the device a lot, and it's TTS function is really tempting. It helps that the price is so affordable.

Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'd go for a netbook. They're cheaper and more versatile.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd go for a netbook. They're cheaper and more versatile.
They're not cheaper where I live. I went from shop to shop recently and almost all of them cost €400-450 in local currency. I've got a 15.4" laptop, and I've been carrying it to work to record attendance, calculate grades and run presentations, but laptop + handouts for over 40 students + corrected homework is too heavy for me to carry. I walk to work and back and it takes me 15-20 minutes, depending on the weather. We get a lot of snow in the winter, and I worry about slipping and breaking my costly machine. I just want something light, with some basic functions. I don't care about versatility, I have my laptop for that. Price is also a huge factor: the IQ is €160, and that's a €240 difference.

How much does a netbook cost where you live?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
There are presentation-reading apps for Android (e.g ThinkFree Office). However, I'm not sure about presentation-making apps.
I forgot to ask, since I saw that IQ won't be able to connect to the Android store, if I decide to get the device, how would I upload/install apps on it?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
How much does a netbook cost where you live?
That's spendy. You can get netbooks in the US for around $260-300 or €180-215.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's spendy. You can get netbooks in the US for around $260-300 or €180-215.

...now would be a good time for that jack pot.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

...now would be a good time for that jack pot.
On my gift lists are 3 ereaders, a netbook, and either a 7" tablet or an iPod touch. I'm waiting for Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving super sale) to get them. Hope to see some good sale prices or free gift cards.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
I forgot to ask, since I saw that IQ won't be able to connect to the Android store, if I decide to get the device, how would I upload/install apps on it?
There are other markets, like SlideMe, whose APK file you can download. Eventually, APK files can be found in the net as well, and be installed in the device.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
citac
Fanatic

I just found SlideMe, as well as some other links after checking the Android forum. I will need to set aside some time soon to read up on apps and installations. Documents to Go was mentioned somewhere, which seems to be something I could use, so I will need to check that more thoroughly too. Thank you all for your answers/suggestions.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Check out the archos 101.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Check out the archos 101.
How much does it cost? Do the sellers ship to Bosnia, and if so, how high is the shipping cost?

Checking the Archos website, I found that there's a possibility to change country, which I did. Clicking on where to buy, I was presented with a choice of countries - mine wasn't on the list. The closest was the neighboring Croatia. I clicked on the stores. Most didn't have the 101 model, but Archos 9. The prices for the device were €400-450. That's more than half of what I take home in a month. Compare that to €160 for the Pocketbook IQ and €25 for shipping.

Yes, the Archos looks like a lovely device. It has 8GB of internal memory and 16GB of flash memory, latest Android, supports multimedia, has a webcam, but if you don't plan to buy me one for Eid, I don't see myself spending that much money on it.

--
Hm, that sounded confrontational, sorry. I'm just stressed right now with student assignments and postgrad.

Last edited by citac; 10-22-2010 at 07:50 AM.