Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
pxwu
pxwu doesn't litterpxwu doesn't litter

Device: kindle3
Help with Sharing book with email on K3

Hi,

I am new with my K3, and Calibre. I tried to set up the RSS news feed on Calibre and I failed.

I have a Gmail account and set it up to auto send news to my K3 through my Gmail account, but I failed at the step of testing sending an email. I got the following info at log shown at the end of the mail.

I think I configured it right at Calibre, and at my Gmail account I enable POP3.

Here is what I did:
I had at Calibre Preference:

Send email from:
emailxyz@gmail.com

hostname:smtp.gamil.com port: 587
username: emailxyz@gamil.com
password: mypassword
encryption: TLS

When I tested, it showed
Using: emailxyz@gmail.com:mypasswod@smtp.gamil.com:587 and TLS enscryption

Please help!

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 108, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 92, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 295, in connect
File "smtplib.py", line 273, in _get_socket
File "socket.py", line 514, in create_connection
error: [Errno 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Log:
pxwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxwu View Post

When I tested, it showed

Please help!

:
Is that gamil.com just a typo in this posting?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, pxwu
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
pxwu

Sorry, It was a typo in my first post, but not in my original configuration.
Thanks for spotting that out.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Here is what I did:
I had at Calibre Preference:

Send email from:
emailxyz@gmail.com

When I tested, it showed
It looks OK except for what theducks has pointed out. It should be gmail.com not gamil.com.

I would ensure the spelling is correct, restart calibre and try again.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the big box at the top, did you click on "add email" and insert the Kindle email address you have on file at Amazon, then click "apply" after that?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
In the big box at the top, did you click on "add email" and insert the Kindle email address you have on file at Amazon, then click "apply" after that?
Good point, I didn't even think that he may be testing the send mail feature by sending to his kindle account. Test this feature sending to a non kindle account first. Then follow desertgrandma's advice.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Good point, I didn't even think that he may be testing the send mail feature by sending to his kindle account. Test this feature sending to a non kindle account first. Then follow desertgrandma's advice.
Well.....not exactly.

In order to get mine to work, I filled in the top box with the Kindle email, then the bottom with the gmail, like the op has.

Not sure exactly how it works, but it sends books from Calibre to my Kindle just fine. the only glitch I had was I forgot to click "auto send" box and "apply" the first time. After that.......bingo!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
pxwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well.....not exactly.

In order to get mine to work, I filled in the top box with the Kindle email, then the bottom with the gmail, like the op has.

Not sure exactly how it works, but it sends books from Calibre to my Kindle just fine. the only glitch I had was I forgot to click "auto send" box and "apply" the first time. After that.......bingo!
Hi,

First , thanks for all the feed backs.
In fact, I did add my kindle email first and tried sending the test email to my kindle account and non-kindle account, all have the same problem. Somehow, either the calibre did not send the message out or my gmail account did not response to send out the email out. From the log, it reads like calibre was not able to receive response from my gmail account.

I will try it with my other machine.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
pxwu

Quote:
Hi,

First , thanks for all the feed backs.
In fact, I did add my kindle email first and tried sending the test email to my kindle account and non-kindle account, all have the same problem. Somehow, either the calibre did not send the message out or my gmail account did not response to send out the email out. From the log, it reads like calibre was not able to receive response from my gmail account.

I will try it with my other machine.

Thanks!
Hi,

It worked like a chime on my other machine. I was able to auto feed news to my kindle3 now. It must be the security setting at the machine I tried first.

Thanks for all.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Hi,

It worked like a chime on my other machine. I was able to auto feed news to my kindle3 now. It must be the security setting at the machine I tried first.

Thanks for all.
Oh, yea!! Thanks for letting us know...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
rbondi
rbondi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Here's what worked for me on Mac Calibre 0.7.23 for Gmail:
- Command-, for preferences
- Click Share by Email
- hostname: smtp.gmail.com
- port: 465
- username: (enter your gmail user name)
- password: (enter your gmail password)
- Encryption: SSL

Ciicking "Test email" did nothing for me, but to email any item in library:
- click on it
- Click on Contact/Share tab down arrow, select Email to...

Hope this helps others,
/rb
rbondi is offline   Reply With Quote