Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Your are a star sir! That works for me, and also fixes all the other broken side-loaded fonts, regardless of locale. Have some freshly baked karma.

I think the Kobo 2.4.0 firmware looks for a font file in the following format:

Font Family Name-Font Subfamily Name.ttf

Font Family Name must have the same spacing as in the font itself.

Font Subfamily Name is normally one of:

Bold
Italic
BoldItalic
Regular

You do not need a space in "BoldItalic", even if there is one in the font file ("Bold Italic").

.otf file extension is also supported.

Firmware 2.1.5 would find a matching font file even if there were no spaces in the file name but there were in the Font Family Name within the font. For some reason after 2.1.5 this was changed so that the spacing had to be the same for the font to be found.

Some of the built-in fonts are still broken e.g., Avenir and Kobo Nickel, presumably because the internal font file is actually called "KoboNickel-Regular.ttf" etc.
You can also use i b and z as in the builtin Georgia font where the filenames are georgia.ttf, georgiab.ttf, georgiai.ttf and georgiaz.ttf. The -Regular is not needed but I use it just to keep the file naming convention consistent. At this time, I can't open the built-in font files to see what their font family names are since they report as not being a valid font file.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #32
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At this time, I can't open the built-in font files to see what their font family names are since they report as not being a valid font file.
I'm not sure what you mean by "this time". Do you refer to the current FW? Anyway, the last FW with "valid" font files was kobo3-upgrade-1.9.17.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you extract the fonts from the Kobo supplied images, they appear to be obfuscated in some manner.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "this time". Do you refer to the current FW? Anyway, the last FW with "valid" font files was kobo3-upgrade-1.9.17.
The last version I had that showed valid font files was 2.0.4. The next release I used was 2.1.1 which had the obfuscated font files so any attempt to open/view them errored out.

Regards,
David
Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #35
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
The last version I had that showed valid font files was 2.0.4. The next release I used was 2.1.1 which had the obfuscated font files so any attempt to open/view them errored out.
Good we talked about it. I incorrectly remembered that obfuscation started with 2.0.0 (and never had 2.0.4). I even checked yesterday, but evidently mixed up the folders. So there is actually an unobfuscated version of the Japanese fonts. Thank you for this information.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #36
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

A new KoboGlo user from this morning (at long last, they delivered...). Version 2.4.0 of February 2013. My previous device was a PRS-505 which died of overwork three weeks ago after four and a half years of intensive service.

As far as the fonts are concerned, I am overall very happy with the KoboGlo offer (Amasis, Avenir, Caecilia, Georgia, Gil Sans, Kobo Nickel, Malabar, Gothic MB101, Ryumin, Open Dyslexic). I will add some other fonts that I will place in a fonts folder as advised.

embedded fonts

One minus is that I cannot read properly my own EPUB books which make use of embedded fonts, even when I select "Document par défaut" (default doc). I get a lot of strains on the screen. Of course, if I switch to any Kobo "factory" font, it gets better, but I still do not get a correct display of the "Linux Libertine Display" font that I use for titles and dropcaps because it seems that Kobo does not provide a replacement for it. I have read that this is an unresolved Kobo bug and I just can confirm it.

The display of my PDF books (published in 6 inches format) with exactly the same embedded fonts and dropcaps, on the other hand is just perfect.

I will report later with my other fonts trials (including ttf and otf fonts).

semibold

I have had the opportunity to open a Kindle set of fonts. I remarked that, contrary to the Kobo set, all the regular fonts were in fact semibold. Of course, they look probably darker on the screen but I consider this not to be needed.

I will try to use semibold fonts to replace not regular but bold fonts (and semibold italic to replace bold italic)

Last edited by roger64; 03-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
semibold

I have had the opportunity to open a Kindle set of fonts. I remarked that, contrary to the Kobo set, all the regular fonts were in fact semibold. Of course, they look probably darker on the screen but I consider this not to be needed.

I will try to use semibold fonts to replace not regular but bold fonts (and semibold italic to replace bold italic)
The Chris SIL fonts as modified by JSWolf are a heavier font which, in my opinion, does look better on the eInk display especially in poorer lighting. I've found that many of the standard PC fonts which look good on my laptop or desktop display look too light on the Kobo. Unfortunately, the font tweaking capability of the Kobo only applies to the built-in fonts at this time.

Regards,
David
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The Chris SIL fonts as modified by JSWolf are a heavier font which, in my opinion, does look better on the eInk display especially in poorer lighting. I've found that many of the standard PC fonts which look good on my laptop or desktop display look too light on the Kobo. Unfortunately, the font tweaking capability of the Kobo only applies to the built-in fonts at this time.

Regards,
David
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
semibold

Yes, I agree that a slightly heavier font looks better on e-ink screens.
If available choose a font family with a "medium" (thickness 500) font to replace the regular and italic styles. Medium fonts are slightly bigger than regular (400) and thinner than semibold (600). This gives good results.

Optical size
BTW, the Minion Pro font scales poorly on my KT. Giving awfull looking, uneven letter heights.
Replacing Minion Pro with Minion Pro Subhead gives much better scaling results.
When modifying fonts, first test which optical font size looks best on your Touch or Glo to get the best results.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
I love to use the Unifont font available here: http://unifoundry.com/unifont-5.1.20080907.zip (it's free as in freedom) it contains the whoel Unicode set! So you can read everything (Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Turkish, ... whatever) with only one font.
Simply create the usual fonts directory in Kobo root and put it inside... and it works!
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geco View Post
I love to use the Unifont font available here: http://unifoundry.com/unifont-5.1.20080907.zip (it's free as in freedom) it contains the whoel Unicode set! So you can read everything (Japanese, Italian, Chinese, Turkish, ... whatever) with only one font.
Simply create the usual fonts directory in Kobo root and put it inside... and it works!
I'm sorry but I can't see how anyone could recommend that font. It looks as if it was generated on a dot matrix printer. Code2000 covers pretty much the same glyph collection and is readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	code2000.png
Views:	2356
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	107341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unifont.png
Views:	2769
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	107342  
Old 06-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #41
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Re: Code2000, I agree this is much better looking than Unifont, but does Code2000 have bold and italic variants (could only see regular in the download)?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #42
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Re: Code2000, I agree this is much better looking than Unifont, but does Code2000 have bold and italic variants (could only see regular in the download)?
Doesn't appear to be, I googled quite extensively.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
As far as I know, it only has the normal variant. I only use it for testing with languages that are not supported by my usual font choices so have not made use of any variants.

Regards,
David
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #44
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
It's actually ugly but it's free (meaning "libre" not "gratis") and (almost) full Unicode. 12pt size is just nice.
Code 2000 font is actually nicer but it's not compatible with free software licenses like GNU GPL or similar. Also the site seems dismissed... http://web.archive.org/web/201101081.../code2000.net/
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #45
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
If I have a font in .ttf or .otf, is there a way I can modify the font to make it appear 2-4pt larger at any given size? I have one that I like but it appears significantly smaller than my other fonts and it's a pain to notch the font size up a couple steps for it then notch it back down for other fonts.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote