Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest reading up on calibre and Kobo shelf / collection support.

Also look at the Kobo Utilities plugin and what it can do for you (especially areas like DB backup, and Reading status backup).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is also extremely useful in general -- it is the very first thing I do when initializing a computer or browser anywhere.
Ditto. That's what I use, with a couple extras added it for fb, etc. If a browser can't use it, I don't use the browser.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Ditto. That's what I use, with a couple extras added it for fb, etc. If a browser can't use it, I don't use the browser.
Well, even Internet Explorer can use it, these days.

Although it has to run as a separate process, requires admin rights to install, doesn't do as thorough a job, etc...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #19
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
eschwartz,

You recommended using Marvin (an e-reader for iOS) which supports "location syncing" which I assume is page location syncing so you can read across devices. I wonder, is there a patch/hack to allow a Kobo device to sync with this? (I also came from Nook and all my books are sideloaded and I have no reason to need kepub)
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:39 AM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
eschwartz,

You recommended using Marvin (an e-reader for iOS) which supports "location syncing" which I assume is page location syncing so you can read across devices. I wonder, is there a patch/hack to allow a Kobo device to sync with this? (I also came from Nook and all my books are sideloaded and I have no reason to need kepub)
No, it is iOS only. I believe there may be a general plan in the works to port it to Android, but Kobo runs linux as an embedded system so Marvin will never run on it.

The locations use mutually incompatible formats.

Syncing locations across multiple platforms remains, as ever, the elusive holy grail of ereading.

I think the Kindle comes closest, with a Kindle app on iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac, as well as their own brand of e-ink ereaders, and the ability to email books to your Kindle Cloud.
What kills it is that for your own books emailed to send-to-kindle, you cannot download them on Kindle for PC (and maybe not to Kindle for Mac either, for all I know).
Advert
Old 12-08-2014, 01:46 AM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No, it is iOS only. I believe there may be a general plan in the works to port it to Android, but Kobo runs linux as an embedded system so Marvin will never run on it.

The locations use mutually incompatible formats.

Syncing locations across multiple platforms remains, as ever, the elusive holy grail of ereading.
So that's what you're working on in your avatar!
Quote:
I think the Kindle comes closest, with a Kindle app on iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac, as well as their own brand of e-ink ereaders, and the ability to email books to your Kindle Cloud.
What kills it is that for your own books emailed to send-to-kindle, you cannot download them on Kindle for PC (and maybe not to Kindle for Mac either, for all I know).
Yes, within the ecosystem of an ereader, the reading positions transfer. My utilities plugin does it for sideloaded books on Kobo's via calibre. I know I could do a similar thing for Sony and someone is porting my Kobo Utilities plugin and plans to include this. I'm pretty sure I could move the reading positions between epubs on Kobo and Sony. ADE should be possible as well, but I don't think it's work the hassle. These all use the same method to store the position. Other RMSDK readers should be possible as they probably use the same thing, but it depends on exactly where they store the position. The calibre viewer uses a different method, but the translation is easy. I have done some manual translations that proved the theory, but haven't looked at automating it. When the viewer supports annotations, I'll be looking at this properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:33 AM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So that's what you're working on in your avatar!
Hehehe.

Quote:
Yes, within the ecosystem of an ereader, the reading positions transfer. My utilities plugin does it for sideloaded books on Kobo's via calibre. I know I could do a similar thing for Sony and someone is porting my Kobo Utilities plugin and plans to include this. I'm pretty sure I could move the reading positions between epubs on Kobo and Sony. ADE should be possible as well, but I don't think it's work the hassle. These all use the same method to store the position. Other RMSDK readers should be possible as they probably use the same thing, but it depends on exactly where they store the position. The calibre viewer uses a different method, but the translation is easy. I have done some manual translations that proved the theory, but haven't looked at automating it. When the viewer supports annotations, I'll be looking at this properly.
Cool! I cannot wait to see the result.

Hmm, feeling almost left out on my Kindle... Someday I want to see syncing of all kinds of annotations across everywhere. For that reason alone I would like to see one universal ebook format standard.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hehehe.

Cool! I cannot wait to see the result.

Hmm, feeling almost left out on my Kindle... Someday I want to see syncing of all kinds of annotations across everywhere. For that reason alone I would like to see one universal ebook format standard.
Blame Amazon for not going ePub via ADE. They are the only real hold out and nobody else is going to kowtow to Amazon and use KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Blame Amazon for not going ePub via ADE. They are the only real hold out and nobody else is going to kowtow to Amazon and use KF8.
I would have liked to see a homegrown EPUB encryption scheme, I frankly don't give a ***** about ADE.

They don't need anyone to kowtow to KF8, they are big enough on their own.

I would still like to see the proprietary obscure mobipocket format disappear.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would have liked to see a homegrown EPUB encryption scheme, I frankly don't give a ***** about ADE.

They don't need anyone to kowtow to KF8, they are big enough on their own.

I would still like to see the proprietary obscure mobipocket format disappear.
Amazon adopting ADE is the only way you'll get a universal file format.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Amazon adopting ADE is the only way you'll get a universal file format.
ADE EPUB is not a file format, EPUB is. Homegrown encryption would work equally well.
The second is marginally more likely.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
ADE EPUB is not a file format, EPUB is. Homegrown encryption would work equally well.
The second is marginally more likely.
Given that the Readers that have ePub as a format use ADE, Amazon would have to also use ADE in order to be DRM compatible.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Given that the Readers that have ePub as a format use ADE, Amazon would have to also use ADE in order to be DRM compatible.
Why are you jumping into random conversations assuming anyone but you gives a hoot about DRM compatibility? DRM compatibility should die in a fiery storm of electric death, as quickly and as often as possible. ADE is the greatest bane to the ereading world. It is far worse than a merely confusing proprietary database format. I spit on DRM compatibility and use apprentice alf to shred those bytes as fast as they appear AND I COULD NOT POSSIBLY CARE LESS ABOUT DRM COMPATIBILITY IF I TRIED FOR A MILLION YEARS so please stop with your random interjections.

Thanks.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-08-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #29
tomtin
tomtin began at the beginning.

Device: nook and future kobo owner
just an update...

I received the reader in about 4 days. Ordered on Thursday, received Monday. I thought that was pretty damn quick.

I took my entire library, stripped it of drm, converted it to epub and kepub, fixed the metadata, and then uploaded them to the kobo. I have to say, I am beyond impressed of this device. I LOVE it. The screen is fantastic and I love that the cover of the book is the screensaver. I could not be happier.
tomtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #30
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtin View Post
just an update...

I received the reader in about 4 days. Ordered on Thursday, received Monday. I thought that was pretty damn quick.

I took my entire library, stripped it of drm, converted it to epub and kepub, fixed the metadata, and then uploaded them to the kobo. I have to say, I am beyond impressed of this device. I LOVE it. The screen is fantastic and I love that the cover of the book is the screensaver. I could not be happier.
Thanks for reporting back about your experience.

Good to hear it is working out for you.