Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Kobo SD Card Delivery: Top Notch

Greetings,

I just want to give a shout out to Kobo CS who sent the firmware SD card from Toronto to the Mid-Atlantic US with same day shipping. I just missed the delivery as i was heading out with my family. God willing, I'll get it when they redeliver tomorrow. This service was no doubt quite expensive and I appreciate them going that extra mile to get the full functionality of my device restored ASAP.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Marvin Gaye probably said it best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz-UvQYAmbg
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
same message here: the SD card is awaiting me somewhere in the suburbs of Vancouver after being shipped out yesterday.

Hopefully will be around when they attempt delivery tomorrow.
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Why are you guys getting the SD card ?
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Why are you guys getting the SD card ?
He-he! Cause they ask for it.

Seriously, this SD thing looks like something really big, but
it is not. I assume bootable image dd-ed to the medium. I
installed debian on small server box without cd drive and used
usb stick. Piece of cake. The reason I post is to ask a question:
is it possible to contact JCKobo or SameerH and get that
image without CD card shipment? The reason? First, I live on
another side of the world. Second, cannot pay directly for that
transportation and have to use people in states, which (if they
have will to do that) might take month or even two. Imagine
all kind of problems during that.

I assume the device will have more than one upgrade. If an
image available, people who use it might torrent it to unload
kobo servers. Better than direct download. MD5 would help.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
He-he! Cause they ask for it.

Seriously, this SD thing looks like something really big, but
it is not. I assume bootable image dd-ed to the medium. I
installed debian on small server box without cd drive and used
usb stick. Piece of cake. The reason I post is to ask a question:
is it possible to contact JCKobo or SameerH and get that
image without CD card shipment? The reason? First, I live on
another side of the world. Second, cannot pay directly for that
transportation and have to use people in states, which (if they
have will to do that) might take month or even two. Imagine
all kind of problems during that.

I assume the device will have more than one upgrade. If an
image available, people who use it might torrent it to unload
kobo servers. Better than direct download. MD5 would help.
Best regards.
I'm trying to see if there's an image you can copy. Problem is you may need an ext3 formatted SD card, which most people won't be able to create.

Stay tuned!
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I'm trying to see if there's an image you can copy. Problem is you may need an ext3 formatted SD card, which most people won't be able to create.

Stay tuned!
I think your easiest bet would be to make an ISO image of the SD card and allow people to write that to an SD card....

I have not tried that but it SHOULD work
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:

Stay tuned!
Thank you for answer. Glad to know it would be possible to
upgrade using SD card.

I'll try out using sheevaplug I have somewhere hidden on the floor.
pilgrim$ whereis mkfs
mkfs: /sbin/mkfs /sbin/mkfs.ext4dev /sbin/mkfs.ext2 /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /sbin/mkfs.ext4 /sbin/mkfs.vfat /sbin/mkfs.cramfs /sbin/mkfs.bfs /sbin/mkfs.minix /sbin/mkfs.msdos /usr/sbin/mkfs.jffs2 /usr/share/man/man8/mkfs.8.gz

App named mkfs.ext3 sounds like the one needed.
After that file system should be populated with 3 files mentioned
in earlier post. I guess.
On bsd I mount native usb and flash cards with this command:
mount_msdosfs -l /dev/da0s1 /flashdisk

On linux it might be like this:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda /flashdisk

Anyway, as soon as I get a reader, I will let you know how it
goes. Thanks you one more time for support.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think your easiest bet would be to make an ISO image of the SD card and allow people to write that to an SD card....

I have not tried that but it SHOULD work
Even better! I saw this post too late.

dd if=/dev/sdcard of=/image_file count=say

On the target system it should be like:
dd if=file of=/dev/da0 count=say

Cannot be easier!
Best regards.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
A couple photos of the SD upgrade procedure ...

http://tinyurl.com/SD-kobo

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
anidel
Zealot

Where do you ask for it?
I'd like to have either the dd-image or the SD itself ...
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
kyall
kyall began at the beginning.

the SD card is for users like me who, try as they may, had problems post-firmware update. it apparently will let me do a proper update.

UPS unfortunately screwed up on the delivery (I was here when they said they tried to deliver. uh, nope.) but when it arrives I'll post info on its use and success. (hopefully)
kyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 AM   #13
djf
djf began at the beginning.

Device: kobo!
Quote:

Stay tuned!
I'm super interested in this too - it is no problem for me to make an SD card with ext3 partition(s).

Thanks.
djf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
anidel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyall View Post
the SD card is for users like me who, try as they may, had problems post-firmware update. it apparently will let me do a proper update.

UPS unfortunately screwed up on the delivery (I was here when they said they tried to deliver. uh, nope.) but when it arrives I'll post info on its use and success. (hopefully)
Ah, I see.. thanks!
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
A couple photos of the SD upgrade procedure ...

http://tinyurl.com/SD-kobo

Clint Bradford
Hm! I see no pics.
If possible, could it be "stickyed" on the top of the first page?

Since the image comes in wild, I'd like to have my hands on it.
Could someone post a link to it with MD5 reckon issued by kobo
guys? Also, would be perfect if SameerH shed a light with the
process SD card was produced.
Best regards.