Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #46
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've see the Kindle PW with the light down as low as it goes and I was not impressed by how dark it was. The T2 has a better looking screen without front lighting.
The same is true of any front-lit e-reader, but it is questionable just how dark the light guide layer makes the screen in a direct comparison between a Kobo Glo and a Kobo Touch, or the Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Touch. And will very likely be the exact same if you were to compare the next Sony reader (if it has a light) and the T2.

But hey, why change the habit of a lifetime and let the facts stop you from having a dig at Amazon. So predictable!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #47
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Agree with JS Wolf, All my ebooks are sorted under first name/last name.

Nothing Sony has recently produced has swayed my away from my beloved PRS650.
Still use my old PRS505 to read in the bath(inside a zip lock bag) as the Ztouch interface on the 650 doesn't work too well(i.e. not at all ;-) in a bag.
Really? I have no issues with mine. However, it sure is easier to use the buttons to turn the pages.
The 650 is really something
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The same is true of any front-lit e-reader, but it is questionable just how dark the light guide layer makes the screen in a direct comparison between a Kobo Glo and a Kobo Touch, or the Kindle Paperwhite and a Kindle Touch. And will very likely be the exact same if you were to compare the next Sony reader (if it has a light) and the T2.
The PW also has a second layer for the capacitive touch. So that could be making the PW screen darker. I've not seen a Kobo Glo in person so I cannot say how the screen looks with the light off or down to minimum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #49
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For anyone who has any concerns about the effect another layer will have on the screen in comparison to the non front-lit e-readers, take a look at the following thread in the Kindle forum: 'New Basic Kindle arrived today'.

Apart from one person, everyone who has posted (and there are a couple of Nook & Sony owners in it too) has said they wouldn't go back to a non-lighted reader after getting the Paperwhite, because the light just makes it so much better.

Yes it does have some effect on the screen when the light is off (the light guide that both the Kobo & the Kindle use also adds a rough texture to the screen), and there's very little chance that the new Sony won't suffer from this too, but:

a) no one really uses them with the light off,
b) the improvement of the screen in anything other than the brightest outdoor lighting conditions negates it anyway,
c) just as both the Kobo & the Kindle have improved on the older Nook Glowlight, there's a chance the Sony will see a slight improvement on the older Kobo/Kindle.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-08-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Extra comment
Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #50
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Oh dear Sony. If this is true they really dont listen to their Customers. Should i be surprised

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ted-e-readers/
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #51
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Oh dear Sony. If this is true they really dont listen to their Customers. Should i be surprised

I disagree. I was excited to read this. I have a Kobo Touch, and I am very skeptical about getting a reader with a Glo type screen. I really like the paper like quality of eink, and Glo type tech goes away from that and puts more demand on the battery.

If the Sony PRS-T3 comes out with a screen that is not illuminated I will be even more keen to replace my Kobo Touch with a T3.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #52
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
I really like the paper like quality of eink, and Glo type tech goes away from that and puts more demand on the battery.
As far as I can tell, the batteries on the Touch and the Glo (with light on) are supposed to last about the same time. Am I wrong?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #53
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

No you are not wrong samhy, but if you have the light turned up high during the day there may be a bit of a difference (probably 3 weeks instead of 4 weeks battery?). Generally speaking, there shouldn't be a huge difference, and depending how you use it, very minimal.

The specs for the Glo state "One month of battery life is based on reading 30 minutes per day, turning 1 page per minute, with ComfortLight turned on OR off." (The Touch states "The Kobo Touch battery lasts up to a month a single charge."

Same is true of the Kindle Touch/Paperwhite (the specs are a bit more revealing) - for the Touch "A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time." for the Paperwhite "A single charge lasts up to eight weeks, based on half an hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10."

People have their preconceived ideas of what difference the built-in light will or won't make. I think many people will have to own one before they change their mind though.

Both the Glo and the Paperwhite have been out for a while now, and there are still plenty of people who are sceptical about them, but mostly from people who don't own one. For those who do, while they may not be perfect, the light is the one thing everyone agrees they wouldn't do without in future.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #54
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
As far as I can tell, the batteries on the Touch and the Glo (with light on) are supposed to last about the same time. Am I wrong?
You may be right. I don't know. I was just reasoning that lighting requires power and that adds to battery drain. I am not sure if front lit readers have bigger batteries or more power efficient processors to counteract the power requirements of lighting.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #55
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I just don't see why Sony didn't make it sort by last name in the first place. I know someone who has a Nook, he told me it sorts authors by last name. Every library or physical bookstore I've been in sorts by last name. So why wouldn't Sony?
Well, I am a librarian and to me sorting on first name is an affront too.
I have no idea what the Sony guys were thinking.
All I know is that my beloved calibre has an easy solution.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #56
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
I disagree. I was excited to read this. I have a Kobo Touch, and I am very skeptical about getting a reader with a Glo type screen. I really like the paper like quality of eink, and Glo type tech goes away from that and puts more demand on the battery.
I own an Onyx Firefly and a Sony PRS950.

There is no discernible difference in paper like quality of the screen. Onyx front light tech has no detrimental effect what so ever I can assure you.

To me the front lighting tech is nothing short of a miracle. I love it. Even in broad daylight I use it to give the screen just a bit more of contrast. People who don't know do not even notice the front light is on... until I switch it off. Then they are shocked.

It works very well. No more fiddling around with external lighting solutions in the night. Your reader has everything you need for reading build in. That is an incredible convenience I tell you.

So in short: Modern front lighting tech does its job very well and if done right it will take nothing away from your paper-like reading experience.

-

Having said that. I would love to buy a Sony reader with front lighting. Because the Sony software is very much superior to what Onyx uses. I love the use of 'Collections' on my Sony and the superior dictionaries and the faultless display of every book I feed it.
If Sony released an upgraded PRS 950 with front lighting, 1 GHz processor, 4Gb of memory etc. I would be prepared to pay double what I have payed for my Onyx. I would not even think twice. That is how much I like my elegant aluminum PRS950 with its convenient 7"screen.

But to me it seems that Sony chooses to marginalize itself in the ereader market. And their view on front lighting is just downright the most stupid thing I ever heard. I think they are traumatized by their failed PRS700 (if I remember right), which featured some kind of antiquated front lighting that just fell short in every respect. But technology has moved on. Front lighting has gotten much improved. Sony should realize this and jump on the bandwagon. Instead of rejecting front lighting entirely they should try to make it even better. That is what the competitors are doing with great success.

Last edited by Iskariot; 04-12-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #57
rjcroy
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I own an Onyx Firefly and a Sony PRS950.

There is no discernible difference in paper like quality of the screen. Onyx front light tech has no detrimental effect what so ever I can assure you.
Thanks Iskariot. Today I visited a shop and compared the Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch and PRS-T2 side by side; the Glo with and without the front light.

I have to agree that I could not see any difference in image quality between the Glo with light off and the Touch. The front light layer did not appear to have any detrimental effect I could see. The evenness of the light was also very good. So my concern in that sense is unfounded.

I found it hard to compare the screens of the T2 and the Kobos because they don't share common fonts.

It is also for the superior software that I am most tempted to switch from Kobo to Sony.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #58
SuzanneTF
Enthusiast
SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'SuzanneTF knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Reader/Kobo Aura One
SuzanneTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #59
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I have a B&N Nook Glow.

Without the light, the battery lasts about a week. With the light, I usually have to charge it every other day.

However, I find having the light absolutely worth it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #60
Iskariot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I have a B&N Nook Glow.

Without the light, the battery lasts about a week. With the light, I usually have to charge it every other day.

However, I find having the light absolutely worth it.

So even without the light you have to charge every other week!? And with the light every other day?!
That does not sound right at all.

I own an Onyx Firefly and the light is always on! And I have not charged it for two weeks now. And if the battery indicator is right I will be able to do without charging for another week. On average I read an hour/90 min. a day. I use the front light mostly on the lowest setting, because that is more than enough. I wish it would have an even lower setting.