Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
ukzembla
ukzembla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Inline Styles and Overrides

Hi,

I have a paragraph which is styled as italic in the CSS. But for some reason (on the Kindle at any rate) it won't override the parent setting in a span - so if I set a paragraph as italic, it won't let me use any roman characters in the paragraph. This seems pretty stupid to me, or am I doing something wrong?
<p class="ital">This is <span class="roman">roman text</span></p>
It's even the same if everything is manually styled inline:
<p style="font-style:italic">This is <span style="font-style:normal">roman text</span></p>
Thanks,

Alex
ukzembla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It is going to depend on how smart the software that converts your HTML is. .mobi format does not support css directly, so the HTML and CSS have to be translated to very basic HTML for it to show up on the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
ukzembla
ukzembla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Wouldn't you say the second example above, with inline styles for italics and normal text, counts as pretty basic? Should it work, at least in theory, on the Kindle? I'm using Kindlegen and my own custom pre-processing from ePub.
ukzembla is offline   Reply With Quote