Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Received a survey promising $75 but requires 30 min of phone time

Here's the mail I just received. I'm just posting this up so forum moderators can see what is circulating and assess whether this is genuine or not.

Kindle market research: Earn $75 for 30 minute interview
Hi Spirits

McKinsey & Company is conducting market research on digital readers. We are offering you $75 in cash for participating in a phone interview, to learn about your attitudes towards digital readers. If you are interested in participating, please respond to this message (or email us at eBook@Mckinsey.com). Please see the details below.

Thank you for your time and look forward talking to you.

Kind regards,

McKinsey eBook Research Team

McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm with 90 offices in 51 countries worldwide. We are the trusted advisor to the world’s leading businesses, governments, and institutions. We undertake original research and develop substantive points of view on critical economic issues facing businesses and governments around the world. To learn more about McKinsey & Company, please visit www.McKinsey.com

1. If you are selected for the phone interview, you will automatically qualify for the $75 cash reward upon completion of the survey. Phone interviews take up to 30 minutes. We will call you or you can call us at a mutually agreed upon time. You will be issued a $75 cash reward upon completion of the phone call.
2. Rewards will be issued either as a PayPal credit or as a VISA gift card. You have the choice between these two options. To learn more about VISA gift cards, please visit http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/p...gift_card.html.
3. McKinsey & Company will not sell or otherwise provide the personal information you shared through this research with third parties.
4. McKinsey & Company will use your information exclusively for the purposes related to the eBook research project.
5. McKinsey & Company will delete your personal information from our database and other storage media on June 30, 2008.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
McKinsey is one of the biggest companies around for this sort of thing. Given that you can email to the domain I would think it legit.

That being said, I'd not give them much in the way of personal information.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It does seem to be legit. Ask me again tomorrow after ~1pm CST
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Do let us know what the interview is like. I got one of those emails too (though I probably deleted it already).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I took the interview and got $75.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They certainly seemed legit enough. They asked most of the questions you'd expect: how'd I start e-reading, why'd I switch to my current device, what do/don't I like about my current device, what do/don't I like about the Kindle (they asked a lot of questions related to the Kindle), what are my reading habits, etc.

I asked them if they could tell me who they were representing, no surprise that they couldn't, nor could they tell me if the company was already in the e-reader game or not. I didn't expect anything else, but hey, I had to ask, right?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They seemed very interested in libprs500 and asked me about what features I would like in a ebook reader, for what price and what I thought the potential market for readers is.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

At a guess, from some of the reactions I got to various comments, I'm thinking there's a new player looking at joining the game, possibly someone big. But that's at least 99.999% guessing.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
I got one of those e-mails, too. I just now responded to the e-mail saying I'd be interested in taking the survey -- I guess I'll find out whether they still need participants.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I blocked em, I don't do surveys which require any personal info, like my phone #. Regardless if they say they won't give out my info

Last edited by Ervserver; 03-08-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Giving out personal info always makes me nervous. I could use the money, but I'm too much of a pansy to take the plunge.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
I just realized not all of you received the email. umm... Hope I didn't destroy their survey by giving access to their email to everyone and not the selected users. I'll edit out the email if McKinsey group wants me to.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just replied and i did receive the message. So I do hope they pick me to do it. I don't mind giving out my info as they are a reputable company.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #14
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I did the survey & later received an email that the $75 Visa was being sent. As with Natch, their questions were more about my ereading likes/dislikes. They asked about the Kindle, both Sonys & the CyBook. There were three people on speakerphone with me. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that they recorded the conversation. Also talked about scanning and format conversions.

Didn't mind giving my phone number or address since they are both in public phone books, i.e. essentially in the public domain. In fact probably readily available on the Internet.

I was surprised at the seeming randomness of the the questioning. It definitely did not feel like a "form" survey. I would think they would find it difficult to correlate their findings from multiple interviewees.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be fair, it would be best if these sorts of messages were not posted in such detail so others who were not part of the offer cannot get in and take th eplace of someone who should have been able to get in. Remember HOLIDAYGIFT? Too many thieving cheating crooks used it and took away the credit from people who should have gotten it. Yes, you are a crook when you steal $50.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote