Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I'm now no longer surprised the link to Dropbox forums appears to be a secret,
The link is not a secret. From Dropbox site, scroll down and click on Help Center. Then scroll down and there is a link to the forum. I have found that is the way it is on a lot of sites. You access the forums from the help page.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #32
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thanks, Carol. None of these things are accessible from the iPad or iPhone, which is where I tried them, since the Dropbox bug pertains to the Camera Upload feature in the apps. I suppose if you access Dropbox's site from a traditional desktop browser, you get additional options. Perhaps, in a traditional browser, there also is a way to send that (duplicate) verification email to yourself, because it just doesn't work from the iPad/iPhone. Seems like some pretty big usability issues for Dropbox's site on mobile devices. I'll check out the desktop browser, though; thanks for the hint!
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Thanks, Carol. None of these things are accessible from the iPad or iPhone, which is where I tried them, since the Dropbox bug pertains to the Camera Upload feature in the apps. I suppose if you access Dropbox's site from a traditional desktop browser, you get additional options. Perhaps, in a traditional browser, there also is a way to send that (duplicate) verification email to yourself, because it just doesn't work from the iPad/iPhone. Seems like some pretty big usability issues for Dropbox's site on mobile devices. I'll check out the desktop browser, though; thanks for the hint!
yes I did access it from my desktop.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I'm certainly not complaining about Dropbox and SugarSync, although it may seem that way. They are both fantastic services, and I'm a free user, so what is there to complain of? The trouble is, that spotty user experience as free users is unlikely to inspire people to upgrade to paid plans, which should be these companies' priority.
I don't suppose you got yourself that 50GB for iOS users last year, from box.net? I did, in the hope that they would bring proper syncing to the desktop for "free" users... and they did, eventually. It was a few weeks back but I find now that I am preferring this for book storage (because there's so much more of it) but also because I can store my calibre library there as well, as you have done with Sugarsync. It *is* so much easier to do that (store the whole library online and work on it as needed from your computer, adding, editing etc) than storing individual saved out books. And... no issues of opening epubs from box.net, either I know with Sugarsync you map the calibre folder, I've just taken the shortcut and dumped it in the Box Documents folder which autosyncs.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #35
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I am a paid subscriber to Dropbox with 200G of space, and I use most of that. There is a way around the iPhone OS limitation that I use when I need to get into my stuff on my older iPhones, and that is to simply access the mobile Dropbox site using Safari (or any other mobile browser). I can download or view my files from there - no need for the Dropbox app.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #36
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Thanks RickyMaveety - I had a problem doing that as well, but it seems to have righted itself.

Kyteflyer - do you use the OPDS2 catalog with Box?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #37
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Thanks RickyMaveety - I had a problem doing that as well, but it seems to have righted itself.

Kyteflyer - do you use the OPDS2 catalog with Box?
No, I don't, and since I posted my previous, have stopped using it for more than just storing books.

I have currently got my calibre library (no need for calibre2OPDS) stored in my dropbox folder, and simply point calibre at that. So, if I make any changes to metadata, add any new books, it is automatically updated on Dropbox too, which makes it available anywhere. I don't mind accessing via the Dropbox app, or in Safari. Either way, all my books are there, always.

I found that Box.net was FAR too slow in the upload, and in spite of updates to the calibre library here, it did not autoupdate there. Sugarsync didn't either. I had to force a sync (forcing a sync on box had no effect).

So, I'm back to using dropbox which is faster and more reliable than either of the others. I've only got ab out 6GB, but even with all my books on there, plus various documents and otehr stored items, I still have 4.5GB remaining (there are only 1800 books in my calibre library, I had a massive prune of books I might never read, or books I had already read and was unlikely to repeat)

Dropbox FTW! (as they say). Mind you, I am not saying the others are no good for anything... just not for storing your Calibre library. If you never make changes to yours, you might find them fine. I am making changes quite often so I want to have the updates going through reliably.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #38
kyteflyer
Wizard

I've just resurrected another cloud storage space... I had previously been using iDrive Backup, which is an automated backup service: not for syncing or sharing, it just would back up your files which you could restore if something awful happened. I used to back up my contacts, serialnumber/logins database, keychain (I use a mac) and a few precious photographs which were irreplaceable. I stopped using it when I decided to clone my drive, and use Time Machine.

Syncing, though, thats a whole other ballgame. Dropbox was first and in many ways is best for some things. I went for Sugarsync next and I find that VERY useful in terms of sharing... I often get Virtualbox appliances via Sugarsync, much better than downloading... I also have had a couple of others... skydrive... heaps of space but pretty ineffective as anything more than storage... Google drive... same... Box.net is ok, I went for it only for the free 50GB last year but in truth havent used it much.

idrive now, though... its doing sync, and its being very generous with its starting point. You start with 10GB and get extra when you install the desktop client and the mobile client, follow on twitter, and "like" on facebook (500Mb per action there). You get 1GB per friend who signs up from your link... but so does the friend.

I'm uploading my calibre library as we speak, mostly to test speed but also to see how it behaves when accessing via the mobile app, or safari/chrome, in terms of getting books into your reader of choice.

You can get up to 30GB total for free, via referrals and the suggested activities. I think it may even replace dropbox for my books storage/sync, because its a lot more available space. I dont have many books now, but who knows what madness will strike me and start me off getting more and more... I'll edit this post when the suitability of Calibre lib sync is tested, and I'll edit my sig to include the referral link which you may, or not, choose to use, to get your first 11GB.

Merry Christmas

[edit] And its back to Dropbox or Sugarsync for syncing the Calibre library. iDrive did the same as box. Synced the same stuff over and over, as if the first sync had never occurred. And it was as slow as a wet week. It would be good though just for basic syncs. Large ebook libraries, or huge numbers of photos... I don't think so, really.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-25-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
I've found SurgarSync too unreliable. There have been times when a "sync" just took forever to start for some reason. Dropbox always seems to be "ready and waiting" for all my syncing chores. Another, largely unadvertised, feature of Dropbox is that if two synced devices are on the same local net, file syncing will be very fast as the data is copied directly from machine to machine, as well as to DropBox server. This makes syncing locally VERY fast. Lan Sync: https://www.dropbox.com/help/137/en

From DropBox help:
Quote:
With LAN syncing, Dropbox will look for the new file on your Local Area Network first, bypassing the need to download the file from Dropbox servers, thus speeding up the syncing process considerably.

Last edited by 1611mac; 12-25-2012 at 09:05 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #40
kyteflyer
Wizard

Agreed, the more I make serious use of Dropbox, the more I like it.