Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Publisher Font

I just noticed 11/23/63 has an option to use the "publisher font" under the font tab Am I way out of the loop? I don't remember seeing this in any firmware updates.

It's not very practical (at least in this book) but I think that's an exceptionally cool feature; to be able to make your ebook look like it's print cousin.

Anyone else see this on other books?
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
I just noticed 11/23/63 has an option to use the "publisher font" under the font tab Am I way out of the loop?
publisher font options available for KF8(azw3) format only.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just noticed 11/23/63 has an option to use the "publisher font" under the font tab Am I way out of the loop? I don't remember seeing this in any firmware updates.

It's not very practical (at least in this book) but I think that's an exceptionally cool feature; to be able to make your ebook look like it's print cousin.

I have to highly disagree with you. I've read 11/22/63 and the fonts used do make it look very nice when reading. It's not just the one body font. But there are other fonts sprinkled throughout. Try it, you might come to like it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:

I've noticed the publisher fonts lately since I've gotten my 4.1 update for KNT. The new releases of the Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever fantasy series have them.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I've noticed the publisher fonts lately since I've gotten my 4.1 update for KNT. The new releases of the Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever fantasy series have them.
Some publishers are embedding fonts because they look better then the default font. Mostly you'll find Charis SIL embedded which is better then the default font. This is also because 4.1 now supports KF8.
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some publishers are embedding fonts because they look better then the default font. Mostly you'll find Charis SIL embedded which is better then the default font. This is also because 4.1 now supports KF8.
Yeah, I always try to use publisher font now when available. I figure I'll read it as the publisher intended the font to look and see how it is.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to highly disagree with you. I've read 11/22/63 and the fonts used do make it look very nice when reading. It's not just the one body font. But there are other fonts sprinkled throughout. Try it, you might come to like it.
You're absolutely right, I'm loving it now.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You're absolutely right, I'm loving it now.
Glad you gave the embedded fonts another try. They really do work well in this case.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Since I updated my K4nt to 4.1.0 one of my books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...myk_ro_title#_

is now showing a lot different format. Bolder fonts but MUCH wider line spacing. I do not see a publishers font option. I can get around this ok by selecting smaller line spacing (still too wide btw) but I then need to adjust this again if I want to read another book.

This has not affected the way it appears on my k3kb or DXG so these are all I will read it on for now.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've really started to dig the embedded fonts.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Since I updated my K4nt to 4.1.0 one of my books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...myk_ro_title#_

is now showing a lot different format. Bolder fonts but MUCH wider line spacing. I do not see a publishers font option. I can get around this ok by selecting smaller line spacing (still too wide btw) but I then need to adjust this again if I want to read another book.

This has not affected the way it appears on my k3kb or DXG so these are all I will read it on for now.
If the changes you see were noticeable in all Kindles, then I would assume the issue was with the book's CSS (cascading style sheet) used to set the formatting. Some publishers will use the CSS to set margins, bold text, etc. that might not be appropriate for a Kindle. But if it is only noticeable on the K4NT then it might be an issue with the 4.1 firmware. Amazon seems to be getting a bit sloppy with firmware issues, some of which are buggy.

I notice that the two Kindles which display the formatting the same as before are both non-KF8 compatible, so they will be displaying only mobi7. The K4NT is now KF8 compatible with 4.1.0, so the issue might well be with the KF8 version of the book, if it is in KF8 format. Dual formatted books can look different, sometimes much different, in mobi7 as opposed to KF8.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-12-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
KF8 files generally do have wider line spacing than Mobi.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
KF8 files generally do have wider line spacing than Mobi.
It's a bug in the KF8 part of the firmware. The line spacing is not supposed to be that wide. In fact, the line-height CSS command is ignored.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-12-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ah, good to know they *didn't* fix this in 4.1.0 :/

Like JSWolf said, it's a bug that's also plaguing Touch 5.1.0 owners .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm not seeing an option for this on my K3. Is it only available on newer devices?
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote