Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
quotes differences book view & code view

why do I see proper curly quotes in code view but ugly diagonal quote replacements in book view, for the same book.

this seems to happen a lot, I guess it is because of sigil's choice of book view font but I don't know how to change the book view font - can i >
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
why do I see proper curly quotes in code view but ugly diagonal quote replacements in book view, for the same book.

this seems to happen a lot, I guess it is because of sigil's choice of book view font but I don't know how to change the book view font - can i >
Cybe
I think BV follows the stylesheet font

You have an ugly choice or system font set as default.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Cybe
I think BV follows the stylesheet font

You have an ugly choice or system font set as default.
well yes
I figured that much, but what controls the book view & code view fonts - they are clearly different so cannot be using the same system font, and books are fine when viewed in reader software so stylesheet fonts should be OK also

OK - I went through stylesheet & removed all font NAMES - just left bold, italic small large etc as is - book view now looks much better, so it seems that book view is using stuff from stylesheet. I still don't know what code view uses ???
Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well yes
I figured that much, but what controls the book view & code view fonts - they are clearly different so cannot be using the same system font, and books are fine when viewed in reader software so stylesheet fonts should be OK also

OK - I went through stylesheet & removed all font NAMES - just left bold, italic small large etc as is - book view now looks much better, so it seems that book view is using stuff from stylesheet. I still don't know what code view uses ???
I expect CV uses one of your OS's 'FIXED' fonts (Sigil CV looks slightly different in Ubuntu. Only slightly )

WYSIWYG: BV should show as the reader does (or the fallback if the font is not available) if a font is called out in the Stylesheet.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

ok thanks - the 2 readers I own - sony & kindle both substitute their own fonts for what is specified in epub/mobi code, so a book typically looks fine on an actual reader, but when I go to edit it in sigil then the strange font definitions kick in & affect book view.

the specific book that was bugging me has some strange code in the html pages:
Code:
@page {
    margin-bottom: 5pt;
    margin-top: 5pt
    }
  @font-face {
    font-style: normal;
    font-family: Font_d3cfbc50-3e39-4d93-b1ef-c468eef0d5b4;
    src: url(../fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf);
    font-weight: normal
    }
  @font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    src: url(../fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf);
    font-weight: normal
    }
  @font-face {
    font-style: normal;
    src: url(../fonts/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf);
    font-weight: bold
    }
  @font-face {
    src: url(../fonts/LiberationSerif-BoldItalic.ttf);
    font-weight: bold
    }
  @font-face {
    src: url(../fonts/LiberationSerif-Italic.ttf)

<body class="epub">
  <div class="calibre">
then it had a epub style defined in the styles sheet which also referenced a font with a long alphanumeric gibberish name which I have now removed
Code:
.epub {
    display: block;
     **** font name removed from here now ****
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0
    }
I have not seen this anywhere else to data.

Last edited by cybmole; 03-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Let me guess... Source is Word?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Let me guess... Source is Word?
Liberation (a free font) is available at the Calibre files download site.
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/liberation-fonts/
Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

hmmm, I'll try the download, is that link correct :

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to calibre-ebook.com

& what's with the strange font names - why call a font
Font_d3cfbc50-3e39-4d93-b1ef-c468eef0d5b4 ???
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Link correct: copied and pasted from the address bar of Firefox 4.0 ( just tested link: OK)

No clue as the odd name. Why are you asking hard questions this early in the morning?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Link correct: copied and pasted from the address bar of Firefox 4.0 ( just tested link: OK)

No clue as the odd name. Why are you asking hard questions this early in the morning?
link works fine for me now , also, must have been a short lasting glitch.
I think I have enough fonts already though, so I'll pass on installing them!

still puzzled by the weird font names though, but if it's only in 1 book then no big deal.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I've noticed this same problem. It wasn't always this way and just occurred a couple of months ago after an update. The ebooks I create/edit rarely have an embedded font and the css rarely have any font references at all. I think there's more at play here but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

I'm glad its not just me.

sigil is a great program but would be so much better with a simple user preferences screen where I could specify e.g. open in code or book view, use these zoom & font settings in book view.....
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

There was a time when a page would not remember a Zoom level if you switched views.

But my eyes have gotten lots older , so I would like to see:

Overall preferences (used at startup if saved permanent by 'Apply as Default', session only if OK/close).

These would include:
separate Look and feel for CV and BV (Zoom level, window size (exists as 'last' now), button bar placement, include show/hide for buttons to reduce clutter))

Individual already open page settings would still work as current.

New Pages created from the 'Split' button would retain their original source page values of zoom.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

well if we're now wishing for the moon I'd want some settings stored on a per book edited basis. ( just like ereaders keep a per book settings file with last page read etc)

I'd want the find / replace recent entries stored per edited file, as well as stuff like last window size & view