Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
hungryghosts
hungryghosts began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader Skipping Pages

I started out over a year ago with Sigil 2.4 -- I'm currently using Sigil 4 B3, and Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) for proofing. My ebook currently has 15 xhtml's (where the heck are those ?) Section0001.xhtml thru Section0015.xhtml, each one is a chapter of my ebook.

ADE is skipping reading-pages within some of the xhtml chapter files but not all.

I've been going thru all the code, I cannot figure out why.

I did a 'search' for this problem in forum and issues tracker, but could not find any.

HG
hungryghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryghosts View Post
I started out over a year ago with Sigil 2.4 -- I'm currently using Sigil 4 B3, and Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) for proofing. My ebook currently has 15 xhtml's (where the heck are those ?) Section0001.xhtml thru Section0015.xhtml, each one is a chapter of my ebook.

ADE is skipping reading-pages within some of the xhtml chapter files but not all.

I've been going thru all the code, I cannot figure out why.

I did a 'search' for this problem in forum and issues tracker, but could not find any.

HG
Betas are questionable to use for debugging your book
Your book is probably good for debugging Betas

Look at the Section size (in BYTES), you may be too large (stay under 260K per section) [note: Sigil can't show this info] Use Sigilsplit to break really long sections at a logical point ADE will start on a new screen for each section.

Look at the code (CV) around the place where the text goes AWOL and also where your book resumes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
hungryghosts

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can't find any function that tells me the byte size of individual sections,

which seems like a redundant suggestion, since you then say, sigil can't show me that info. So, there's no way I can know if I ever go over 260k.

holy - that seems awfully low. why the heck include the ability to insert images ?

my ebook is half story and half picture book.

my 15 chapters / sections are over 7 megs so far.

but i've got sections that do work ok that must be bigger than the ones that don't, so that can't be the answer.

I did - as I said - I did examine the code all around where the skipping problems are, and cannot see what could cause it.

sigilsplit ?? i assume you mean a chapter break ??

then my section numbers won't match my chapter titles, and I'll get very confused.

but, i'll try that on a temp copy to see if it fixes the problem.

ok, i tried that.

ah, - NOT.

didn't fix.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EPUB is a ZIP file (with specific assembly instructions)
Use Open with.. (your favorite ZIP program) to see the uncompressed sizes. Just don't modify the file.
Pictures files have their own size guidelines (there are only tags in the body)

Sigilsplt is Chapter Break (there is nothing to prevent splitting on other than a chapter boundary) and no rule that you need to split out by chapters (other than the size limitation in reader devices).
Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
hungryghosts

Hi again.

I unzipped it, and saw all the 133 jpegs listed with file sizes.

Didn't see any section files in the list though so, I'd have to make a list of what jpegs are in what sections to figure out if any are over 260k.

One section is over 260k for sure, but, the jpeg is not in the sections that have the reader problem.

Plus, I got reminded that quite a few of the jpegs in the 'images' list are not even in the story. I'd taken them out of the story editor, but, they don't also get removed from the epub. To get them totally out, I have to highlight them in the 'images' list and click remove.

oh well, I guess I have to accept I'm not going to be able to fix this problem using Sigil.

But, that's a help too, so thanks for trying to help.

HG
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
hungryghosts

ah - I did finally see the xhtml section files listed in the text folder.

text wise, none of them are even close to 260k.

jpeg wise - does that count too ?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
hungryghosts

I opened one of the problem xhtml section files in textpad and found some weird things around the 1st problem spot.

Actually, I'd used the Sigil code editor to get rid of other weird things before this, but that didn't fix the problem.

Anyways in textpad I'm seeing some other weird things that don't show up in the Sigil code editor, like the following:

<p>So, they carried on to the ÃŽle Ã* Dumais&nbsp;</p>

where the hell did Île à come from ??? that's supposed to be the word 'island'.

and there's not supposed to be the &nbsp; space code in there

in fact I've already found that code everywhere in all the section files. I took some of them out already, but it didn't help fix the problem.

sometimes they are in the very weirdest places too, like the following:

<p>Up&nbsp;on arriving at Roberval, they circled the town, and found it totally empty from what they could see from the air.&nbsp;Just to be sure, they dropped a couple of flash-bang grenades on main street, to see if anybody reacted. Nothing.&nbsp;<br /></p>

the first word is supposed to be Upon

what the heck is causing that ??????

and why are there tonnes of line break codes ? <br />
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
<p>Up&nbsp;on arriving at Roberval, they circled the town, and found it totally empty from what they could see from the air.&nbsp;Just to be sure, they dropped a couple of flash-bang grenades on main street, to see if anybody reacted. Nothing.&nbsp;<br /></p>

the first word is supposed to be Upon

what the heck is causing that ??????

and why are there tonnes of line break codes ? <br />
Sigil is not causing that.
&nbsp is a non-breaking space (obviously does not belong in the middle of Upon
<br /> are hard returns that some coders use. A <br /> does not start a new Paragraph (line space and indent).

IF Not verse.
You might replace 2 breaks in a row with a pair of reversed Paragraph tags (closes the prior P and opens a new P).
THEN you can replace the rest of the <BR /> with a space.

You appear to have conversion corruption (sometimes there is strange symbols when the wrong code page is used with accented letters or curly quotes. This is NOT you case).
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
hungryghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You appear to have conversion corruption (sometimes there is strange symbols when the wrong code page is used with accented letters or curly quotes. This is NOT you case).
I've wondered if updating Sigil and using the updates on my epub might have something to do with corruption problems. That's what I have concluded, that there's been corruptions going on.

Actually, I did have some french accented words. island was originally Île à Dumais so in fact that's french accented. When I was looking for problems in Sigil code editor that french accented name was all screwed up, so I took that out and typed in island, and got those weird characters ÃŽle Ã* that I found last night using textpad.

I had several jpegs of the island in there, and their filenames had the same accented letters, which I discovered Sigil really did not like, so, I took the jpegs out, but did not remove them from the Sigil /images/ list, I renamed the jpegs, and put them back in. But, that didn't fix the reader-page skipping.

I discovered Sigil and Digital Editions apparantly do not like jpeg filenames that have accented letters nor spaces between the filename words. And, I've speculated they also don't like jpeg filenames that are longer than 8 characters.

In Sigil code editor I found the following at the top of some of my xhtml sections, but, not others.
------------------------
<style type="text/css">
body.sgc-1 {word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;}

span.sgc-2 {font-weight: normal; font-size: medium;}

h4.sgc-3 {font-style: italic}

div.sgc-6 {font-style: italic}
span.sgc-5 {font-style: normal; font-weight: normal;}

div.sgc-9 {font-style: italic;}
span.sgc-8 {font-style: normal; font-weight: normal}
span.sgc-7 {font-style: normal; font-weight: bold;}

span.sgc-10 {font-weight: normal;}
</style>
-----------------------------

There were many times I would change a line to 'heading 3' or '4' so I could find it quickly the next day to continue on.

I would return the line to normal, and Sigil Book View would display the line as normal, but, Code View would show it to still be within the heading code.

I found those because Digital Editions would display the line as a heading code.

---------------------------

Then I found a lot of weird coding like the following

<h4 id="heading_id_14">The group was dead silent.</h4>

<div>
"w-w-e-l-l-l....ummm, -- (name), tell us what you meant earlier when you said 'oh my god' several times." said somebody.
</div>

<div>
<br />
</div>

<div>
(name) was looking quite pale at this point, with worry creases in his forehead, his mouth grimaced, sitting in a chair a bit away from the group, staring at the floor.
</div>

<div>
<br />
</div>

<div>
After a minute or two trying to collect himself, (name) spoke, slowly at first, "I know you all know most of this, 2012, Chchen Itiza, it's what we're talking about here. But, bear with me if you would. To get to my point, I need to say it &nbsp;the only way I can get it out.
</div>

<div>
<br />
</div>

<div>
I just got back from a vacation trip to Chichen Itza....you know the Mayan pyramid in Yucatan, Mexico. By the way, down there, they call it El Castilo, The Castle. Weird, eh.&nbsp;
</div>

<div>
<br />
</div>

<div>
Actually there's dozens more restored constructions or ruins being restored &nbsp;there than just that famous pyramid, which are spread out over 6.5 square kilometres. Each construction is dedicated to a different god, where that god's priests and priestesses would congregate.&nbsp;
</div>

----------------------------------------

<p><br /></p><!--StartFragment-->
<!--EndFragment-->

-------------------------------

And there was some other very weird code I took out that I cannot now find in an earlier epub file to show you.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

You probably should file a bug report on the tracker and attach a unmodified (original) of the file
IRRC, there is a 10M limit ??
Old 03-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
hungryghosts

Unhappy totally despaired now

Quote:
You probably should file a bug report on the tracker and attach a unmodified (original) of the file
IRRC, there is a 10M limit ??
bug report, eh.

which bug ?? -- I suspect I've come across about 100 bugs so far :-(

May have just found another.

I ran validate, which reported a lot of unused jpegs, so I 'removed' them, which reduced my epub filesize by 5.5 megs ( from 9M down to 3.6M ) and re-ran validate

which then reported 2 of the jpegs the first validate said were unused,

were in fact ' href ' pointed to in the story but no longer exist in the 'images' folder.

I have spent 13 months on this freaking story, and, I am now totally despaired of ever being able to salvage all my work.

i really don't much care about reporting bugs at this stage anymore.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
hungryghosts

oh this is cool

i just found the very very weird code i mentioned, in the very first section file at the very top

/*<![CDATA[*/
Old 03-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
oh this is cool

i just found the very very weird code i mentioned, in the very first section file at the very top

/*<![CDATA[*/

Normal

Sigil sometimes inserts SGC styling codes there if you use a Sigil Style button in that section.

Note: the codes MAY be different page to page. (FIFO assignment)
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
hungryghosts

Quote:
Normal

Sigil sometimes inserts SGC styling codes there if you use a Sigil Style button in that section.

Note: the codes MAY be different page to page. (FIFO assignment)

FINALLY - something normal for a change :-)(
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
hungryghosts

Smile Thank You Ducks !

Hi ducks,

I thought I should do a followup post to say thank you for your help.

That one piece of info you gave me that my epub is in fact a zip folder turned out to be the key to fixing all the code problems.

I was able to load all the 15 section files in to Textpad at one time and delete all the recurring bad code in every xhtml file at the same time, which tremendously sped things up, and then go through each one to get rid of all the rest of the bad code too, then put it all back together as a new zip folder, and I can now carry on using Sigil to finish my ebook.

Oddly enough Digital Editions does not read it, and I read somewhere else that it's probably because the mimetype file is not the first file in the new zip.

But, I found other viewers, as well as Sigil thank g-o-d, that read it perfectly.

Anyways, thank you very much for that information.

Last edited by hungryghosts; 03-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.