Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
indents & line spacing - ems, %, pts ?

coudl someone please remind me, or direct me to the essential pros & cons of these 3 options, and also to how to work out equivalents.

e.f. I use
1. ( before a mobi convert for Kindle) margin-bottom:0.3em and text:indent: 1em
2. in epub for sony reader - same indent but I prefer margin-bottom: 0 on this device

but lets take the indent example - whats the equivelent in % and in pts,
& what are the benefits of changing from ems to either of the others ?

if I am reading the specs correctly - then I should be able to set in indent in % and see it alter when I toggle text size on my header hardware ? -
but when I set it in em , it will stay at about 2 characters wide & thus will take proportionally more % line space on larger font settings.-
in pts ? —have not thought it through

is on or the other considered better, or more widely used ?

Last edited by cybmole; 03-23-2011 at 04:35 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if I am reading the specs correctly - then I should be able to set in indent in % and see it alter when I toggle text size on my header hardware ? -
but when I set it in em , it will stay at about 2 characters wide & thus will take proportionally more % line space on larger font settings.-
in pts ? —have not thought it through
I think it's the other way around,
the % is worked out on reader/browser dimonsions
the em, is based on font-size
pt is an absolute value

So use % when you need an indent/lineheight/margin, based on browser size, and wont change if you alter font-size, (only if you resize browser window)

Use em when you want indent/lineheight/margin to change with fontsize, (but would stay the same if you resized browser window)

Use pt when you need it to remain consistant, no matter if you change fontsize or browser window size.

I usually use % for indent, and em for lineheight/margin.

Edit:
Make that
I usually use % for margin, and em for lineheight/indent.

Last edited by Perkin; 03-23-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Wrong info
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
thanks -

also, why do i sometimes see very small e.g. 0.001 pts values set in line spacing styles
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Probably as a result of originator using an inferior product than Sigil

- I don't know why either, but with a small amount like that, I would have thought them pointless (pun intended)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thanks -

also, why do i sometimes see very small e.g. 0.001 pts values set in line spacing styles
Because a 0 pt value is not allowed by their software (properly. it should be a simple 0, no units)?

Because they want the line to almost touch the other line?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I usually use em for font-size and indent. I like that to scale at the same level. Margins are by default set by pt, I want small margins no matter the font size. I like to utilize the screen as much as possible. Sometimes a book calls for a larger margin, for example when a letter is in the book. I usually set those also to pt, I would like to differ the margins with the normal text, but not grow with font size. This would prevent that the screen would be too small for the text.

I almost never use percentages though. Perhaps with smallcaps or headers.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indents should be in ems - you probably an indent to scale with the text size. Personally I use an indent of 1em; some people may prefer a little more.

Margins should be in pts (or cm); you DON'T want your margins to scale with the text size.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote