Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
staylo
staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: PRS-350
Mini Teardown

Had to take a look The serial header is 2.54mm but if you want to make use of it you'll have to solder so that the pins lie flush with the PCB and don't protrude at all.

Disassembly is straightforward. Once the snap-on quilted cover is removed a thin plastic cover protects the PCB - six tiny philips screws have to be removed to remove that and access the board.

Points of interest:

1000mAH battery
Samsung K4X2G323PB-8GC3 256MB RAM
Freescale i.MX507 CPU
neonode NN1001 single chip touchscreen controller
CyberTAN WC121 network controller
TI 430G2333 (low power processor... hall effect?)
TI TPS65185 EPD power supply (TPS report here)

Serial port 3.3V (marked 'V') is unpowered when the device is shut down.

Larger images in zip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_mini_front.jpg
Views:	10209
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	93743   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_mini_back.jpg
Views:	3825
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	93744  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo_mini_teardown.zip (12.50 MB, 2003 views)
staylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
digidon
digidon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
WHOA now, is that an SD card I see????

So can I just swap that bad boy out with the 32gb I have and be in 5" reader heaven?

Thanks either way, I love taking electronics apart, have since I was a wee lad (to my parents grief)

Last edited by digidon; 10-18-2012 at 03:19 PM.
digidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
staylo
staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.staylo is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidon View Post
So can I just swap that bad boy out with the 32gb I have and be in 5" reader heaven?
Yes and no The Kobo's operating system is kept on the micro SD card too, so if you put in a blank SD the device will no longer boot. In theory you should be able to clone it to a larger card and resize the partitions, but it's untested.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylo View Post
Yes and no The Kobo's operating system is kept on the micro SD card too, so if you put in a blank SD the device will no longer boot. In theory you should be able to clone it to a larger card and resize the partitions, but it's untested.
Someone has done this for one of the older devices. There is an explanation of what they did around here somewhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122701
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Yes, I did that with previous models and I can almost guarantee that the same will work with this device. It's quite a simple procedure once the device has been opened.

In my case I did it on Linux, I simply ran the dd command to make an exact copy of the original card onto my target card and then used a partition editing program called gparted to enlarge the storage partition to fill the new card.

The process can be time consuming, but you're essentially only running two or three commands. I made a bit of money upgrading several Kobos to 32GB with this method and it's really rather painless.

One thing I'd be very interested to see is what speed the internal SD card is and whether you could get a significant performance increase by upgrading the card for both size and speed.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll be performing an SD card upgrade on both a Glo and a Mini, I'll keep you updated but I'm confident that it will work flawlessly.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 10-21-2012 at 09:25 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
One thing I'd be very interested to see is what speed the internal SD card is and whether you could get a significant performance increase by upgrading the card for both size and speed.
I've been wondering this also...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Okay! I can confirm a success on both of those. I'll be seeing if I can't get a high speed card soon and pop that into my friend's Vox to see if r/w speeds are appreciably increased.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I've been wondering this also...
Me too!
But I just did some research and my conclusion is that it's not easy to buy fast microSD cards. They do advertise "class" - which is max sustained read/write speed - but in random access (which is what matters for non-camera usage) it's all over the place, which higher class often (but not always) worse.

If you look at random access 4 KB-block-sized writes, various cards can achieve anything from 2 MB/s (500 blocks written per second) to 0.006 MB/s (yes, 1.5 blocks written per second).

There exists at least one Sandisk 2 GB class 2 model which is incredibly fast, and if Kobo actually ships with that model, it's going to be hard to beat.

Last edited by sysKin; 10-23-2012 at 10:01 PM.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/microsd-...t-results.html might be of interest
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
endzi
endzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Okay! I can confirm a success on both of those.
Can You please share the info how to open Kobo Glo to get access to memory card? I just can't manage it...
endzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
endzi
endzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura aboutendzi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by endzi View Post
Can You please share the info how to open Kobo Glo to get access to memory card? I just can't manage it...
Ok, I managed it. You just have to push a little bit with some tool (like screw driver) starting from corner where power button is.
Now I have glo memory card backup in case of problems.
endzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
staylo

I find it's best to always use a plastic tool to pry open devices like this, not a flat-bladed screwdriver. With a metal tool it's very easy to damage the casing, but with a plastic tool you can use a surprising amount of pressure without any damage.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
psi
psi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura aboutpsi has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo mini
My wife got me one of these yesterday and today I was taking it apart. I immediately wondered the same thing about putting in a bigger memory card.

Can anyone recommend a program for windows for copying over the contents of the original card to a new one with the partitions intact?
psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi View Post
... Can anyone recommend a program for windows for copying over the contents of the original card to a new one with the partitions intact?
Here you are:

Creator: http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=28
Writer: http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

No idea why they split this in two separate tools, but works flawlessly under Windows 7 x64.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote