Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Irex questions ...

So I'm increasingly dissatisfied with my Sony PRS-505 for a number of reasons, and considering the Irex Iliad -- either the v2 machine, or the new wifi-less cheap model.

Questions:

I keep seeing references to "no suspend mode". Is this correct? If so, how long does the machine take to boot from cold? How do you deal with it in actual use?

How do you charge it? (Can it charge over USB)?

Is it a USB slave or master device?

(Yes, I've looked in the wiki and dipped a toe in the Irex forums -- there weren't any unambiguous answers there. My other questions -- about things like battery life, software, and file formats -- are already answered.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstross View Post
I keep seeing references to "no suspend mode". Is this correct? If so, how long does the machine take to boot from cold? How do you deal with it in actual use?
It uses significantly less power when you don't use it, but it doesn't have a genuine "suspend" mode. If you leave it switched on, you'll basically get a full day's usage from a battery charge, provided that you don't make extensive use of the stylus or the network.

Quote:
How do you charge it? (Can it charge over USB)?
Via its charger. No, it won't charge over USB.

Quote:
Is it a USB slave or master device?
Both. It can act as a USB host for low-power USB devices like memory sticks, keyboards, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Hmm. How discouraging.

I suspect I'm going to end up hanging on for a bit, in hope of something better turning up. The combination of poor power management and being unable to recharge conveniently from a ubiquitous power source (such as USB or a Nokia tip) is a bit of a headache. I can swallow one of those two drawbacks, but probably not both in the same device, at that price, and not when I've already got an ebook reader (albeit one with other drawbacks).
Old 05-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - one question I forgot to answer. Boot time is about 45s.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
So I'm increasingly dissatisfied with my Sony PRS-505 for a number of reasons, and considering the Irex Iliad -- either the v2 machine, or the new wifi-less cheap model.

Excuse my curiosity, but could you explain why your are dissatisfied with the 505?
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
cstross
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Excuse my curiosity, but could you explain why your are dissatisfied with the 505?
1. Bad ergonomics. (I'm left-handed. Can't use it at all in its original cover, although that's no loss; more to the point, the page forward/back buttons are inconveniently positioned on the left rocker and small and difficult to press on the right screen edge.)

2. I can't use the Sony Store. (I'm in the UK and don't have a US credit card so I can't use the US store. The UK/EU store is behind schedule -- not open yet. And in any event, it requires Windows to get at, and it's DRM'd up the wazoo, both of which are huge turn-offs.)

3. Even if I could use the storefront to buy current titles, I'd be limited to Sony's wholesale arrangements. The PRS-505 doesn't support ePub yet (IIRC) and thus I'm limited to those publishers who're doing provisioning in LRF. Which is a small subset of the market.

4. No annotation capability. Poor PDF viewing capability. No clock. etcetera ...

In a nutshell: the PRS-505 is an acceptable(ish) substitute for a paperback book; it's suitable for casual reading. It's not very flexible, it doesn't allow me to make notes in any way, and the range of commercial content for it is -- from my perspective -- non-existent.

What I really want is ideally a PalmOS device with an 800x600 epaper screen (and PalmOS apps refactored to work on the big screen). Or an iPod Touch, ditto. But failing that, I'm looking for something else ...
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
1. Bad ergonomics. (I'm left-handed. Can't use it at all in its original cover, although that's no loss; more to the point, the page forward/back buttons are inconveniently positioned on the left rocker and small and difficult to press on the right screen edge.)

2. I can't use the Sony Store. (I'm in the UK and don't have a US credit card so I can't use the US store. The UK/EU store is behind schedule -- not open yet. And in any event, it requires Windows to get at, and it's DRM'd up the wazoo, both of which are huge turn-offs.)

3. Even if I could use the storefront to buy current titles, I'd be limited to Sony's wholesale arrangements. The PRS-505 doesn't support ePub yet (IIRC) and thus I'm limited to those publishers who're doing provisioning in LRF. Which is a small subset of the market.

4. No annotation capability. Poor PDF viewing capability. No clock. etcetera ...

In a nutshell: the PRS-505 is an acceptable(ish) substitute for a paperback book; it's suitable for casual reading. It's not very flexible, it doesn't allow me to make notes in any way, and the range of commercial content for it is -- from my perspective -- non-existent.

What I really want is ideally a PalmOS device with an 800x600 epaper screen (and PalmOS apps refactored to work on the big screen). Or an iPod Touch, ditto. But failing that, I'm looking for something else ...
Iliad has a rocker bar on the left for page turns, and Jetbook has a slide bar on the left for page turns.

Based on what you have shared I doubt that either would fit your needs.

Personally, I've had a satisfactory experience buying books in lit format and changing them over to lrf using Calibre. I assume you can use Fictionwise and other ebook vendors overseas ( I may be wrong).

Anyway, good luck with your search for the proper device.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
cstross
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Iliad has a rocker bar on the left for page turns, and Jetbook has a slide bar on the left for page turns.
Yup. I've messed with an Iliad (briefly) and from my point of view the left-side rocker bar is infinitely better than the small and not very responsive buttons on the Sony.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The iLiad's "rocker bar" is (IMHO) far and away the best page-turning mechanism of any book-reading device.